Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Any Wilson fans worry he's already 'peaked'? He's taken that big step we hope all rookie QBs take, but he's taken it early? And he ain't getting no better in the NFL.

Has he already hit his ceiling?

legler82 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He does do this some and Kurt Warner rightly points it out. JT O'Sullivan may have too, but I had noticed it anyway. Most young QBs are guilty of that at least some of the time. At other times, one can see him turning his head and looking at different parts of the field, and looking safeties off, so he doesn't do it all the time.

3. NCJetsfan

Well said! I feel the exact same way but in reverse. It is baffling, but not as much as it once would have been. One can look at many things Jets-related here and elsewhere on the internet, or look at restaurant choices, politics, a literal plethora of activities, and people see things totally differently. At one point back in the '50 most Americans may have thought pretty much alike, but I have my doubts even about that. I think that's a narrative that was advanced by the government and/or media to keep us "united," but that is definitely not the way things are now.

I know that we strongly disagree on this, but I hope you know that I respect you, your football knowledge, and I have always enjoyed out discussions in the past.

#2423 NCJetsfan, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Borat and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That’s a good question that I’m sure will get attacked.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

No, not attacked. It's a valid question. I don't think that he has peaked, but guess it's possible, but then it could be possible for any of the top QB prospects.

Borat, REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Okay Ouchy, I played the video and see what you are saying.

ouchy likes this.
  7. legler82

That Indiana game comes down to 3-4 bonehead hero ball plays that you will find nowhere else on his tape. Word is he was pressing for the Heisman knowing he had far less games than the other candidates. If I saw it elsewhere than I would be concerned that it’s a pattern. I didn’t.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What's the other option? A quarterback who didn't improve in college? Why would we think that QB is less likely to have peaked than one who did improve in college?

Borat, Noam, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  9. legler82

Most young QBs stare down WRs & reads. Looking off safeties is a learned skill that is usually tied in with one’s comfortability in an offense. This past season was his 3rd season in the same offense. I’m willing to wager that he LIKE EVERY OTHER ROOKIE QB will be staring down WRs and reads next year at a much higher rate than they did in their final collegiate season. The ones that will find success early will be the ones that can get the ball there anyway,

10. Footballgod214

I dunno. Do these guys take TWO big leaps? Josh Allen took his big leap last year....will Josh take another? Zack took his big leap last season too....is there enough in there for him to take a second big leap? Or is this it, for both these guys?

patleahy likes this.
  11. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

haha and Mitch Trubisky NEVER took his big leap...even though Bears fans kept waiting for him to.....lol :(

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Knowing where your receivers, let alone the defenders, are likely to be on any given play call at any point in the clock running in your head is one of the things that makes a QB great.

Rookie QB's don't even have a clock running in their head yet, let alone knowledge of what the field looks like 1.5 seconds into the play when they really should have thrown the ball all ready.

Tom Brady doesn't make reads any more. He just plays Chess in his head and throws for the Queen on every play while the defenders play checkers and try not to get double-jumped.

patleahy and legler82 like this.
  13. legler82

We never a young QB be in the same system to get to the point they are playing chess. The only way to buy the needed time and patience is early success.

14. Footballgod214

I know right? Sam Darnold too....he was pretty much the same player his last college game as his last Jets game. He never popped. We really hope any QB we pick have one big boost to their playing style/level. Just asking a question: if the lights have gone on in Zack's head and he's made that huge leap, then is Zack good enough the way he is now, with no big boom of improvement coming in a year or two? If Zack has plateaued, is he still good enough?

15. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I buy into the narrative that he was playing at less than 100 percent due to his shoulder and thumb more than that.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad played Chess. He just didn't have the arm to get the ball there some of the time.

I remember the playoffs against the Raiders in 2002. The Raiders were in Chad's face against a very good OL all day long. A lot of the time he had a slant available when they were coming and he kept eating the ball or throwing it away. He knew he was just going to throw the ball up for grabs if he had to make that throw right then.

legler82 likes this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Of course. I never take things personal on here, especially with people I would consider a friend outside of these forums. You are one of those people. I know the difference between debating and being malicious. I've never felt malicious intent with you. Feeling Is mutual. No worries.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Link?

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think it’s more that you can see what his ceiling can be if he’s protected and has playmakers around him.

20. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

How could you establish that a player has peaked exactly? I am trying to understand your point but I simply cannot get where you are going with it.

I would return the question. Are you not worried that Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence or Mac Jones have never faced true adversity in their college career? How will they react when they have 4 losing streak or losing records? Many big college team QB have never been truly challenged as they have been surrounded by better talent at every position than everybody else. History has not been kind to that type of adversity from top ranked college QB. What make you think it would change now?

JohnnyJet1222 and Borat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.