Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are changing the narrative. Previously you said you were frustrated others can't see what you see on tape and make the same conclusion and are on a hype train. I countered with not only views of some here but also pretty reputable folks who disagree and asked to apply the same lens to yourself. Maybe it is YOU who are not seeing what's really on tape? Have you ever considered it? The hype you are referring to is coming from football folks, from actual teams, GMs and coaches, not media. I formed my opinion on Zach early, looking at the tape and considering advanced stats metrics BEFORE it was echoed by likes of JT, Jenkins, Warner, Simms, Young, etc...

Now you are changing the narrative to "how dare anyone dislike Wilson", even though that's not what I and other folks who like Zach said. You can dislike him, just keep in mind that your own point of other people not seeing what's on type could actually be applicable to yourself.

NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

So here’s the thing I like both QBs and stated their pros and cons so I’m not going to regurgitate all that. For me the pick would 100% be Fields if he didn’t have those 2 games against Indiana and North Western. Honestly, I’ve watched both three times and it’s worse every time. He had trouble reading the field all day. I just can’t get past it. Even if it was just one game you could chalk it up to a one off bad game. He’s probably the pick if that were the case. However that wasn’t the case and that second game vs NW was even worse. It reminded me of Darnold to be blunt with you. With all the turnovers and just flat out bad play and reading what the defence is giving you.

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As long as I've been here and seen Dean's posts, I've never seen him as a "homer". I believe he just thinks Fields is legitimately better (of course he's wrong!:p). I respect his football knowledge as much as anyone here.

NCJetsfan, IIMeanDeanII and patleahy like this.
  4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

well-said, CC....I respect both your AND MeanDean's football knowledge, and (I don't know if you noticed or not) at K'OB's behest, I actually apologized to MeanDean for having accused him of being a "homer"/blinded by his love for the Buckeyes. He is a good guy and as knowledgeable a football fan as any on here, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree regarding the great Fields v. Wilson debate. It will all be a moot point in less than a week anyway, as we all rally around whichever QB the Jets select at #2.

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Well. Shit. I don't think I've claimed that at all. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed an opinion from the film study I have done. My fault..

However. Just to be brutally clear.

I definitely think I know much more about football than you.

You want to act like I am being condescending and talking down to people, I'm not. I haven't. I am not attacking anyone, at all. Not even, Zach Wilson. Just because I don't want him as the QB of the NYJ, doesn't mean I don't like him as a person. I don't know him.

So you, and others. That want to attack me. It's cool. I've just taken It up till this point.

So.. I will say.

The only jokers I've seen, are the ones that want to get butt hurt because some people with eyes and a brain don't like, Zach Wilson.

It gets old.

..and, yes, I am being condescending towards you. Please understand the difference moving forward.

legler82 likes this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

This Is It. I appreciate that, CC.

I respect anyone that has done the work and has come to their own conclusion. Someone that hasn't just listened to the media or others that have jumped on that bandwagon. I know you have put In the time and you have concluded your preference for, Zach Wilson. I respect that. I hope more than anything I am wrong. I can promise that. :)

7. IIMeanDeanII

I didn't see your apology, It wasn't needed though. Trust me. I can tell the difference between someone just having fun and someone that Is malicious. I usually just take It in stride. Today I popped off more than I usually do.

You didn't need to apologies though, even though I appreciate It, you are respectful and a good poster. No worries at all.

patleahy likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

As I've said before, I respect your knowledge and opinions here, and if you feel this strongly about Wilson, I have no doubt that you've put the time and research into that opinion.

That said, I have to say in weighing what you say you see vs. what I've seen - and for this point I'm speaking only for my own opinion - the difference between our two POVs is irreconcilable, that is, I'm just not seeing what you're seeing, or more specifically, I see what you point out, but I interpret it differently. That's okay, I'm not trying to change your mind.

I just wanted to say for my part that I too have looked at a lot of film on Wilson, and that includes the breakdowns by Simms, Jenkins, O'Sullivan, Warner, but I'm using their play breakdowns to see for myself what's happening. Am I influenced in some way by them? No doubt. And I'll also admit to feeling like what I'm seeing is also what those guys are seeing for the most part. So, when I add all my research up I come out with the conclusion that I think Wilson is the best pick at QB - even ahead of Lawrence IMO.

Now, I know none of this changes your mind, and I don't expect it to. But one of us is either going to be very right or very wrong. But as long as Douglas gets it right, that's the important thing.

NCJetsfan, patleahy and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

In 2020 what good teams did Wilson play poorly against?

10. IIMeanDeanII

The Indiana game wasn't good. The Northwestern game wasn't nearly as bad as people have made It out to be. He had some bad games. They happen.

Thing Is. This type of thing makes me question why you aren't looking at all the bad games that Zach Wilson has had In his career because he's had several more than a couple of bad games.

I get what you are saying. Nothing wrong with It. Can't shake those games, I understand.

How about Zach's games though? Did both times he played against Hawaii make you feel good? The two games against Utah? New Mexico State? San Diego State? Toledo? Coastal Carolina? Western Kentucky?

These are the games that stuck out to me.. There are more too that I can look to as "issue" games for me.

I don't know. I've never got a Darnold vibe from Fields. I've consistently felt that way about, Zach Wilson though.

It's ironic.

Rockinz and legler82 like this.
  11. patleahy

Thanks, MeanDean. We're cool. ;)

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

I truly believe you haven't actually watched very much, if any, of Wilson. Yes, he has a very strong arm, although not as strong as Mahomes or Allen, but it's not his arm strength that makes him special, it's his quick release and ability to throw accurately from different arm angles, and even when his feet aren't on the ground. That you would even use Nagle and Leaf as comps is mind boggling. I know you firmly believe that the Jets should not draft a QB and should trade back and build the talent up before they draft a QB, but that train has left the station. Trying to run Wilson down won't make it back up.

patleahy likes this.
  13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

What good teams did he play?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. legler82

At this point I’m rooting for JD to throw a curve ball like a trade down, Pitts, Mac Jones or Trey Lance just for the entertainment value on the media and on this board.

IIMeanDeanII and patleahy like this.
  15. patleahy

lol I was thinking the same thing. I am a fan of the absurd, so I would definitely laugh if JD did something from out of left field that left over 90% of the board completely flummoxed and pissed off, including both Fields AND Wilson supporters, lol. I suppose the "trade down" camp led by Ouchy and Br4d would be happy if he did that though, lol.

IIMeanDeanII and legler82 like this.
  16. legler82

I’m super annoyed that the whole world seem to what the Jets are doing.

CotcheryFan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

I'm not changing a narrative. If you've truly done the work, you have an opinion. I respect that.

I'm not frustrated either. I'm baffled. There is a difference between those things.

It's a situation where I feel so confident and sure about what I see, I don't understand how others are so set with Zach Wilson being our next QB.

It's like I'm In the Twilight Zone. That's not me bashing others, that's just how sure I feel and how that relates to so many Jets fans beyond that.

So.

I'm just saying. You boasting people In the media to further your point, doesn't mean anything to me. I haven't listened to most of the people you've listed. I probably wont either. Maybe, probably not though.

I don't expect any of them to downright dog the kid. I would be absolutely shocked If they all thought he was this perfect prospect.

Maybe I will watch some of It. I'm curious.

Do they review his cupcake schedule from this past year alone, are they looking at his overall body of work?

Nah. I don't care. Changed my mind. lol

Point Is.

I'm comfortable In what I see. I can't understand how so many are so comfortable with him, based on what I see on film.

That's really what It boils down to at the end of the day.

I'm just baffled. That's all.

NCJetsfan, abyzmul and legler82 like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Fair enough.

patleahy likes this.
  19. patleahy

yeah, after Legler posted that I reviewed BYU's schedule in an attempt to answer it in Wilson's defense.....and I honestly couldn't, lol. It is a fair point from the Fields camp. I will give them that.

legler82 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I get it. That’s why I think it’s close but man that Indiana game was rough. I believe that Wilson from 19’ was more ugly than good. Just didn’t look like the same player in 20’.I think he wasn’t healthy and him commuting and training with Beck in his spare time because it’s night and day. Wilson vs Hawaii was bad really bad I agree. This year though he didn’t really have a stinker when Fields had 2. Coastal Carolina was his worst game and really he didn’t play too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.