Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 2)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 1, 2021.

?

What do you pick?

1. Fields

15.8%
  2. Wilson

50.0%
  3. Darnold

17.5%
  4. Other - Explain

7.0%
  5. Watson - Up to 3 1st's.

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

which was my only point. leaks can happen anytime anywhere. we live in the information age with cameras and mics everywhere. it's not hard for something to get out no matter how careful you are.

2. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Very little about Wilson wows or jumps off the page at me. Likewise there aren't a lot of bad traits or red flags (aside from the attitude report...him being spoiled or entitled and whatnot...who knows if there's any truth to it) that worry me as well.

I also don't think this is special or elite arm talent. I think he's got an above average arm. That's pretty much it. Good mobility, takes care of the ball, and intelligent. I don't think we're looking at a guy who will be a top 5 qb in the league at any time. But I would be happy if he fell into that 5th best to 12th best QB in the league range.

Can he? We'll see

legler82 likes this.
  3. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

If he does...doesn't really come across on film

Brook!, jets_fan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

Orlovsky's comments on Fields are troubling. I remember the same being said about Geno and they were spot on correct

Still I mean who knows how accurate those remarks are...but you hate to hear it

Brook! likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Some see it.

[​IMG]

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This segment made me sad, not in the @NCJetsfan derogatory sense but in the traditional sense. Why aren’t the Jets considering the QB prospect w/ “MVP Type” potential?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

nly 1 team can have the "best" QB. as long as we can get one that's top 10 i'm cool with that. guys like ryan, stafford, ben, rivers, luck, were never considered top 3 and had great careers

Brook! and MDJets like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

it's one analyst. obviously most people don't see it. I don't see it. 90% of scouts don't see it. you see it and tim hasselbeck and a few others on the board here. what if he becomes the next vince young or jason campbell or god forbid RG3 or ej manual. It sucks because the talent is there, the work ethic, the attitude. he checks all the boxes. but nothing on film he's shown screams MVP. it screams average to above average starter

Poeman and REVISion like this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is interesting to me because I've had the opposite experience.

Once we lost out on the Lawrence sweepstakes I was 100% team Fields. I started watching Wilson though and from the very first game I saw he passed the eye test immediately. He's really fluid as a player and was highly accurate. I actually think he has a stronger arm than Fields from a velocity perspective, at least that's what I gathered from both of their pro days. I thought Wilson's throws had noticeably more zip.

It's sort of similar to watching Chase vs. Smith on tape. I know Chase is a great prospect and doesn't have any big question marks but when you watch film of both guys Smith just pops off the screen 10x more than Chase.

Borat likes this.
  10. REVISion

Because they don't think he has MVP Type potential. It would seem a large majority of teams agree based on the Casserly survey.

There's clearly a divide between where the fans rank Fields and where NFL teams rank him.

11. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

What's odd is I totally agree with you on Chase vs Devonta. But on Wilson I just don't see elite there. I want to see it.

I see if everything works out a solid, good starter...and that could be good enough for us if we build up the rest of the roster well.

REVISion likes this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well aware that college is not the NFL but thanks for pointing it out for me.

Yes the strength of his game his his quick release & pocket presence but also that he can make any throw from any arm angle on or off platform. I disagree that he doesn’t throw with anticipation.

Nothing about his play style suggests he is or will be a dink and dunker at the next level as you suggest.

Nah I don’t think he’s Marino, he’s far more athletic. Does have a fast release like Marino though.

REVISion likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What's interesting is that two of these "analysts" in the video brought up that he was successful at University of Georgia. I mean what? There are reasons why he wasn't successful there and didn't get the starting job and had to transfer knowing Fromm would continue to start in his sophomore year, but to call that a "success" just shows how uninformed these ESPN talking heads really are.

Another interesting observations, pretty much every one of these analysts, I heard who are saying Fields is ahead of Wilson, who are in minority, but still they are saying it is not by much, very close. JT was saying the same thing. If we put any value in analysts, basically vast majority consensus prefers Wilson, some by a lot, some by little, and the rest who prefer Fields, think it's close. So, with rare exceptions, pretty much everyone says Zach is going to be either almost as good as Fields (small part) or better by a little or a lot.

REVISion likes this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What scares me most about Fields are scouting reports like this:

Poor pocket awareness

Can get rattled by the pass rush

Can freeze when seeing the blitz

Must get better at passing in the face of the rush

Blitz recognition needs work

Needs to check the ball down more

Field vision needs development

Needs to get quicker working through progressions

Sounds like Sam Darnold 2.0. Fields can have all the physical talent in the world but he needs to be able to play the position on an NFL level. If he can't fix those things NE, Buffalo and Miami will have a field day with him.

REVISion likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

The problem with fields I have is I think i'll spend a lot of the time yelling out at the TV get rid of the dam ball 2 seconds before he's sacked a lot

16. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

The Fields hype train seems to be revving up.
    That is true yes. Reminds me of Darnold. Darnold however threw well on the run but could definitely be destroyed in the pocket, had no feel for the rush or the time he had, and made consistently poor or puzzling decisions with the football.

Fields seems like a guy who needs to sit for a year. But I do like his talent

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Fields is gonna be a great pro but I think Wilson will too. Its close but I'll be happy with either.

Brook! likes this.
  18. REVISion

Yep, and this was my impression watching Fields, long before any media narratives had been crafted.

When a play develops as planned he looks like a phenomenal QB. When things break down he is really prone to making bad decisions though. The Darnold comparison is spot on. Neither of them knows when to give up on a play and they both force the ball into dangerous spots rather than throwing it away or taking the checkdown.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

She had a vicious tongue lol

legler82 likes this.
  20. We disagree on a hollistic level.

Quite comfortable on my own island w my opinion yet See more & more people reaching the very same conclussion.

In the end you’re getting your way & im likely finding a new team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.