Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 2)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 1, 2021.

?

What do you pick?

1. Fields

15.8%
  2. Wilson

50.0%
  3. Darnold

17.5%
  4. Other - Explain

7.0%
  5. Watson - Up to 3 1st's.

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

For those against Zach Wilson and those against Justin Fileds. This guy has been more successful in a bigger program. He destroyed Ohio State with cracked ribs throwing for almost 500 yards. So that says he's a tough dude. He is very accurate and stands tall in the pocket. The Jets would still have to build up the O Line as he isn't very mobile. Douglas could trade out of spot 2. But he shouldn't go that far maybe 6 or 7 and take this guy.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I definitely see Jones as a possibility in a trade back scenario, but that depends on how well he'd fit into LaFleur's scheme. Is he mobile enough, or is that even a criteria for what LeFleur wants to run? IDK if he's less mobile than Darnold, so if they're going to keep Darnold and build an offense that he can run, then Jones should be able to run it also. There's a lot of unknowns to be able to tell if he'd be a good fit, but he supposedly excels at processing the game as it unfolds in front of him which I think would be a big plus in LeFleur's quick-read offense, and he's highly accurate and low T.O. As I've said before here, I'm afraid Jones is going to N.E.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

We talk about them all in this thread: https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/darnold-fields-wilson-jones-trask-lance.94961/page-125

My problem with Jones is I don't think he is as good as Sam. The Jets like Sam. I like Sam. They are potentially moving off of him because they feel there is a better QB out there. Wilson or Fields most likely if a trade for Watson doesn't happen.

If they don't like those guys, you stick with Sam and use the draft pick for someone else. Now, on the other hand, maybe they fall in love with Jones or Lance. It could happen. I am trusting whatever Douglas decides. I think he will go Wilson though.

azhar80 and boozer32 like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't hold bias against certain programs (except USC quarterbacks at this point) not producing NFL talent at certain positions within reason.

But you've been very vocal about OSU not producing quarterbacks. What Alabama quarterback since Ken Stabler retired in the early 80s has inspired confidence in you to think that Mac Jones is any different than AJ McCarron or Jake Coker? They're actually virtual clones with Jones having a better arm.

I don't really know what to think of Jones to be honest. He's the epitome of a college quarterback benefitting from probably the most talented NCAAF offense ever in a down year for SEC defenses. But he also has a big boy arm, he's a smart kid, and he's very cerebral. I hope he succeeds and I'm interested to see what he becomes.

Also - when did he crack his ribs?

It was never looked at much during the game, but Ohio State was without their top two pass rushers due to Covid among other players. Alabama and the CFP refused to move the game.

#4 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    boozer32, Jets79 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If JD decides to look to the draft, then the best thing for us would be if JD sees more than one QB as a potential pick. 3 would be ideal. JD could trade out of #2, picking up an extra 2nd, then still get one of the 3. Winner winner chicken dinner.

If Trevor was there, I think JD grabs him. But after Trevor it's a bit of a crap shoot. Heck, WE can't agree on the best one, and we're much smarter than JD.

It's kinda like the WRs last year. If Jeudy were still there when we picked in the 2nd, JD grabs him right there. But after Juedy/Lamb, it became a crap shoot. So JD traded back and still got 'one of them', Mims. Using this as a blueprint, JD could go the same route after Trevor. Trade back, still get one of them.

Our O would look slightly diff depending on which one we get, but if LaFleur assures JD he could win with Fields/Wilson/Jones, then I think JD trades down and still gets one of them.

If after pro days and interviews, LaFleur is strongly leaning to just one, then JD probably stays a #2.

azhar80 likes this.
  6. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

I say the same thing yes the guy isn't mobile either was Manning, or Brady but the guy has good accuracy especially deep pass plays up to big situations outside of Trevor Lawrence think this guy is the 2nd best in this draft and can be drafted after the Jets trade down so they still get a QB who is better then what's left after Lawrence still grab additional boatload of picks to build around him. But most fans like mobile QBs so don't expect a pro response.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Jones seems to be getting a lot of buzz and in some peoples eyes seems to be the 3rd QB ahead of lance and Fields. It is hard to know what to believe but certainly Jones seems to be rising. A trade back with Carolina might allow us to take Jones but he might be gone by then.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A better question is, "Why Mac Jones?" He's immobile, his arm isn't that strong/good, and he looked better than he probably is because of all the talent around him at Alabama. No thanks!!!

Taking him at #6 or #7 is flat out insane! Will the insanity here ever stop?

9. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Said the same thing was said about Tom Brady, Joe Montana the guy is a gamer he wins his accuracy is higher then any QB in this draft. He makes plays and wins when he needs too.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/former-nfl-coach-june-jones-223820193.html

10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

K'OB likes this.
  11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Mac Jones is a hard evaluation for me...His oline, running game, and weapons are just so much better than every other team that it’s hard to say how good he really is.

It’s not like he’s athletic or has a huge arm so it’s hard to separate him from the situation he was in.

Would he have succeeded in the same situation as Darnold was given with the Jets the last 3 seasons? I can’t see it personally.

How would Wilson have looked with Bama and how would Mac Jones have done with BYU? Would he even be considered a good prospect coming from an average school?

We’re drafting Mac Jones and we don’t get Saban and the dominant offensive players with him .

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. Agreed 100%. When I watched Jones I couldn't tell if he can make the plays in the NFL or not. It was all set up for him on a silver platter. Maybe he will be great. Maybe he will never start a game in the NFL. It's truly hard to tell.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Based on what I've been able to see and read about Jones, I don't have enough info to say I would take him in the Top 20 (or maybe even in the 1st round). I would have to have the resources of Douglas and to have been able to see him in games live, and all the other things that a GM gets privy to. But Douglas has those things, and if he thinks Jones is a good fit, I'd be for it. From what I have seen he could be a FQB.

Leicester Jet and boozer32 like this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Says the guy who has a Justin Fields picture. Irony is truly dead. I thought our GM and coach's job was to put talent around our QB. Be it Darnold, Wilson, or Jones.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Fields, Wilson, Lance, and Lawrence ARE talent. Jones, not so much.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's like Jake Fromm with a better deep ball and better arm. Fromm was a career winner at Georgia, played relatively well in big games (12 touchdowns to 5 picks) and had a lot of the same stamps that Jones has except Fromm floated a lot of shit in college that everyone knew wouldn't fly in the NFL. He had a great running game and offensive line but didn't have the elite receiving threats Jones had so you can adjust his stats up slightly if he did.

Idunno. I like Jones more than I liked Fromm and McCarron and other such college "winners," but he might be a career backup along with them.

King Koopa likes this.
  17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He has a good enough arm and seems to have good ball placement/ makes good decisions. My issue is that the Bama situation is about as easy as it gets for a pocket QB. What happens when he faces NFL pressure where his receivers aren’t completely destroying the opposing DB’s?

I’ve seen people mention Brady and Peyton when trying to defend Mac but they’re rare generational talents. If you aren’t mobile in the current NFL, then you need to really be special as a pocket QB. Smart money would say Mac Jones is not that and a risk I’d rather not bank on

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

My current QB board.

1st Round
    1.Zach Wilson
    2.Trevor Lawrence
    3.Trey Lance

2nd Round
    1.Justin Fields
    2.Mac Jones

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You have Wilson ahead of Lawrence?

20. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Have you actually even watched his tape? His reads, anticipation, touch and precision are all elite. He reminds me a lot of Chad Pennington in that regard. I also like the Tom Brady comparison, the game is so easy for him and even though he has been near flawless in college people are still nitpicking on his physical attributes. The guy is a player.

I would not be shocked if he become the best QB of this class when it's all said and done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.