Favorite NFL Player NEVER to play for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Of all the players he/she could have picked (Hall of Famers galore), I am surprised he/she went with a mediocre at best player. I will assume he/she went with Tillman solely because he/she respects what he did after football. That has nothing to do with football, though.

2. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Honestly I don't know who tony Robbins is lol

Everyone has there own opinion but I believe Ray Lewis and he was proven innocent in court.

Besides all that the man is one hell of a football player and leader.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There is no such thing as being proven innocent, only not proven guilty. There is a huge difference between the two.

#143 Don, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Ben Had likes this.
  4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think jilozzo mentioned him too. i know it was a couple times i saw the name. thanks for talking me off the cliff though. i was fuming with hate for dan marino even now 20 something years later.

5. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I look at who he was, what he sacrificed and why, and I am in awe of him as a person. I just wish he would have survived the war, I feel like he would have been able to do so much more. He wasn't a 'sports hero'; but I consider him a regular hero.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ben Had liked your post, Don. That's a pretty good reason to hate yourself.

Ben Had likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

By the way, I liked Pat Tillman as a player, I thought it was fucked up when our government tried to cover up the circumstances of his death, but that doesn't change the fact that the guy was just becoming a recognizable player in the NFL.

Pat was a good person, not an all time great safety.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I am not disputing that what he did off the field was great. But, there are plenty of good people who I wouldn't want to see ever play for the Jets. Also, there are hundreds of football players I would have rather seen play for the Jets instead of Tillman.

9. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Well, I read the question differently than you did. I think you read it as "what non-Jet would you have wanted to play for the Jets?" In that case, just go down the list of HOF quarterbacks not named Namath (or Favre.) Under that reading of the question, I'd have wanted Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Dan Marino, etc.

I read it as, who's your all-time favorite non-Jet? What player do I like the most who never played for the Jets? That's the context of my answer. Hope that clears things up a bit.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

What a stupid I am.

I initially understood the thread and somehow later on, I guess based on posts, I thought it was something else.

So yeah, the Tillman mention by you was actually fine and good.

Jets Esq. and abyzmul like this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

and under the bus i go.....

seriously - yes sir i mentioned marino as an honorable mention - from purely a QB standpoint and the circumstances around the 83 draft. i am disregarding all other history with marino and the fish from the games in the early/middle 80's up to and past the 94 spike game.

personally one of my biggest sports do overs of all time is the 83 draft with the jets taking marino. geez that would have been something.

12. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

13. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

14. Jets-N-Terps

I couldn't agree with you more. Why is his sacrifice any more patriotic, or worthy of praise than any other serviceman and women who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom? Because he decided he didn't want to play football and CHOSE to be a soldier?
    What about the thousands that didn't have a choice and were drafted and never made it home?

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

phag.....

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[quote="tdorland, post: 2989151, member: 13299"Why is his sacrifice any more patriotic, or worthy of praise than any other serviceman and women who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom? Because he decided he didn't want to play football and CHOSE to be a soldier?
    What about the thousands that didn't have a choice and were drafted and never made it home?[/quote]

You kinda answered your own question.

17. Jets-N-Terps

You kinda answered your own question.[/quote]
    There are thousands who have forgone great careers in numerous professions that have made the ultimate sacrifice. I don't hold Tillman in any higher regard than any of them.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There are thousands who have forgone great careers in numerous professions that have made the ultimate sacrifice. I don't hold Tillman in any higher regard than any of them.[/quote]

You've changed your position.

Either they "didn't have a choice and were drafted and never made it home"...or they've "forgone great careers in numerous professions that have made the ultimate sacrifice".

btw...conscription ended in 1973. But I agree on this...anyone who left family and career to volunteer to fight in that shithole deserves our appreciation and respect.

19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Lol I have a sick love-hate relationship with Brady. I used to simply hate him but unfortunately I've developed too much respect for the dude. IMO, and I know this will not be a popular sentiment, he is the best QB who ever played. I'd never be able to call him my favorite non Jet though.

20. BamaJet

BamaJet New Member

J. Elway and D. Marino @QB; G. Sayers, W. Payton, E. Dickerson @RB; O. Newsome @TE; J. Rice and S. Largent @WR; M. Singletary and D. Thomas @LB; D. Green and D. Sanders @CB; Ra. White, Re. White, B. Smith, H. Long, @DL. Looking back on this list it is obvious most are from the same era. If all were on the same team, they'd either be unstoppable or an unmanageable clash of egos that couldn't win anything. I'd bet on unstoppable though.