Faneca's contract status?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LI JET FAN, Apr 23, 2010.

1. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

How much is Faneca due to earn in 2010?Unless it's an 8 figure number cutting him makes little sense considering it's Super Bowl or Bust this year.Vlad may turn in to a decent OL but bringing the rookie in to start on a 'win now' team makes little sense unless Woody is tapped out from building his Taj Mahal of an Stadium. Any one care to speculate?

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

3. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

For those to lazy to look, cutting Faneca saves all of 1.3 million on the cap. Not enough to warrant the disruption. Next year it saves seven plus million. Now which year do you think it is likely to happen....... not this one. If anything, he is now pissed and working harder.... Good.

4. illmatic

illmatic New Member

according to a report i saw on twitter from Manish Metha the Jets cut him...
    as soon as i see a link i'll create a thread for it

#4 illmatic, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Great backup for this year and he will replace Faneca or Woody in 2011. Great pick by the Jets so that they can continue having a great oline. I don't think this is a pick we will reap many benefits from until 2011 which is fine by me. I want the Jets to be winners for many years to come. Not just this year.

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

7. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

8. illmatic

illmatic New Member

not a fan of this at all, wtf are they doing? what is the justification for this?

9. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

This still doesn't make sense to me... Don't they have to pay him anyway? And why not wait until the draft is over?

10. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

LOL Ray Lucas is pissed, of course. I don't know what MT is doing anymore. There is still time to pick up a veteran on the cheap down the road as insurance, but paying $5M to tell your pro-bowl LG to walk? It just doesn't add up. Did we not learn from the Kendall experience?

11. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

Uh, what cap?! :breakdance:

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

THIS!!!!! :mad::breakdance::shit::drunk:

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

So to answer the question: Nonexistent.

14. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

According to the website, we're saving $1.68 million.

Edit: Thanks for the website btw. It's very easy to understand, and I now know why Gholston is not off the team while Faneca was cut

#14 SettlerDawg, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  15. ........

........ Trolls

The site determines that number as though we were operating under a cap. The reality is, without a cap, we're not saving any money this year. It's NEXT year that we'll avoid a cap hit. The amount we pay out to him will be determined by subtracting his contract number for this year from the $5.25 million he's guaranteed by the Jets.

16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should of worded it better. By savings I meant the cap hit that we are saving in 2011 (under the "dead money if cut" column in 2011).

17. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

You mean the amount we save?

Paying Five million to save two and disrupting the most important unit in terms of consistency still just doesn't make much sense. He must've parked in Tanny's spot or something...

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

:rofl: good one! funny thing is, something similar to this is probably true.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I really think this has to do with his comments about Jones. Makes no sense to cut him when all they have is this rookie who can't play to replace him. Now he will go to Miami or NE and make them the best offense in the division. How involved was he with the union btw?

20. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/24/report-jets-will-cut-alan-faneca-monday/

Report: Jets will cut Alan Faneca Monday
    Posted by Josh Alper on April 24, 2010 6:51 AM ET
    It seems that where there was smoke there was fire concerning Alan Faneca's future with the New York Jets.

Manish Mehta of the Newark Star-Ledger is reporting that the team will formally announce the veteran guard's release on Monday. Reports surfaced early last week that Faneca could be on the way out of Rex Ryan's clubhouse and picked up steam through the first two days of the draft.

The Jets were shopping Faneca for a trade, but the $7.5 million they didn't want to pay him was likely a deterrent for other teams as well. With $5.25 million of that contract guaranteed, the Jets clearly don't think Faneca's presence is necessary for them to make a run back to the AFC Championship Game and beyond.

Offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse was the team's second-round pick, which signaled a change was coming, and when G.M. Mike Tannenbaum spoke with reporters Friday night he didn't do much to throw anyone off the scent.

"Alan's on our team. He's done a lot of great things for us. I know this weekend that there's typically a lot of transactions that happen, but he's on our team and Alan's done a lot of great things for us."

The past tense would appear to be the only tense for Faneca and the Jets going forward.