Falcon Fan needs an answer please....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BirdBrain, Mar 29, 2006.

1. BirdBrain

BirdBrain New Member

Hey Guys...BirdBrain here....I have a question regarding Abe. There seems to be some debate as to his ability to stop the run. Since stats really don't tell the whole story, I'm wondering what you guys think either way. Was Abe successful in stopping the run, or were there obvious holes in his abilities. Did teams run at him because of this, or did they double team him just on passing downs??? I appreciate any and all opinions on this subject...thanks!!!

Your friends at the Roost!!!!!:eaglessuck: :finssuck:

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Obviously he is q

3. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Obviously he is quick against the run pursuiing from the back side but not much use head-on. And he is not a tough guy.

4. gafher

gafher New Member

Abe doesn't do well against the run which makes one wonder about you guys from what i hear your biggest problem last year was that you guy were to small up front and couldn’t stop the run, you haven’t gotten better, you may have gotten worse. I think teams will try to run all over you particularly to Abes side.

but he will get you guy 10-12 sacks, if he stays healthy, if.

5. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Wanting to stop the run is an attitude. ABE does NOT have it. And to be truthful, if he loses a step, he will be selling trinkets at ATLANTA UNDERGROUND!

6. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

Abe started out very poorly against the run, but in the last couple of years has improved his ability to contain. He's an edge pass rusher, so don't expect to see alot tackles for loss on runs to his side. But he's not as bad as most Jet fans will paint him today.

7. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I forgot to add that you better hope that the roof of your stadium does not leak! Abe does not plain in pain or the rain!

8. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Abe has improved against the run, and plays better on turf. He can basically do anything he seta his mind to, the problem is he loses focus.

9. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Abe is a pass rusher, plain and simple, if he beats his guy late and the run is going his way he will stop him, if abe beats his guy early he has no chance on stopping the runner, abe can cause intercetions with his pass rush but dont look for him to tackle the HB for losses.

He once was quoted saying they dont pay me to stop the run. Very selfish, and has a huge ego.

Lets just say he is a pass rusher plain and simple.

10. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Abe has only two flaws (becides getting hurt a lot). 1 is that he has the tendency to get engulfed by o-linemen head-on. So, if a team wants to run straight at him, if they have a decently athletic OL, they can run on Abe. Also, Abe has a tendency to get too far downfield while rushing the passer. He'll overshoot the point of attack to get to the QB. He'd sometimes end up 10 yards behind the play, and blocked by an OLman actually from the opposite direction they started from. If the QB is mobile or shifty, they can take advantage of that over-persuance by making a scramble or dump-off to that side.

11. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

I see teams tend to run the ball to his side. He is not a good run stopper. Thats why he didnt get the long term deal that Ellis got. Ellis can stop the run and rush the passer.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well, I've never been a fan of Abe against the run; his instincts never seemed to be anywhere near as good as his game against the pass, but in 2005 he overcame this a lot.

I think Abe is a fairly balanced player, but he just loves to pursue the QB so much that for years he would overpursue and take himself out of plays a lot of times.

13. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

I think everyone above has answered your question. Welcome to the board!

14. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I agree. He is a passer rusher. So many times he is pushing up field to the qb and the RB just goes by him. Get use to it you'll see that alot

15. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

Y do u think his stats stunk last year. Teams were runnin on us a lot and he has basically no part in defending running plays other than persuit. If they run at him he has a VERY hard time. Abe is perfect for an otherwise stacked dline against the run, where the other team will try to throw more. This allows him to open up his pass rush which is his best and really only ability

16. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Abe is also undersized for a defensive end. This makes it easier for offenses to run at him.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

:up:

hes got it right there.

18. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Totally agree...Abe improved against the run...not a force..but delayed handoffs that teams would run to his side where Abe would be in the backfield by himself were not the norm...he got better.

He still is a pass rusher though...hes not the total package.

19. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

He's not good at stopping the run, but he is not as bad as the announcers and analysts would make you believe.

20. BirdBrain

BirdBrain New Member

Thanks Guys!! I really appreciate all the answers!!!!