FA & Potential Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Feb 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Beckham was the far superior player two years ago. He had a terrible start to 2020 and then got hurt. We have no idea what he is now. That, combined with the locker room drama you pointed out, what we'd have to pay him this year and what we'd have to give up to get him... I'm taking Samuel every time.

Also I'm not just comparing them statistically, I was using total yardage as a raw measure of their production. While Beckham can affect the game because of what he COULD do, I think in this offense particularly, Samuel could cause the same kind of havoc on a defense. This goes back to my original point... they are apples and oranges to me.

NOVAJET and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

People saying OBJ over Samuel.

He isn't a free agent. Samuel is.

A younger player, got for the system without the need to give up draft capital. Sign me on for Samuel as my #2 WR after A Rob.

I would only consider OBJ if he is released from the browns.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Great post. I'd love to have OBJ but we would certainly have to give something up for him. We can get good recievers in free agency and the draft.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I would prefer Samuel to OBJ given all of the other factors involved. But that doesn't mean that Samuel is a better player.

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Just backreading a bit... has anyone actually said that Samuel is the better player? I think anyone would agree OBJ is the better player but Samuel is the smarter target who could be equally as productive in this offense.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

You subtly alluded to it. But you've also tried to draw the conclusion that Samuel would be used in jet sweeps and what not whereas Odell wouldn't. Which I don't think is true. He's just as shifty and as fast as Samuel and likely equally if not quicker than Samuel is.

Regardless I'm curious to see what Samuel's market is. I still think Godwin is the better option. And I think if they're looking for a speedier gadget type player, Isaiah McKenzie could be a bargain buy as a #4 from the Bills. They did all that shit with him.

RochesterJet and J-Raw24 like this.
  7. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

If OBJ was a free agent, and if theres only a couple of mill between the two, you would have to be mad not to sit down and seriously consider if you can get OBJ back to his amazing production from a few years back.

Samuel is that utility player that could unlock a lot in this system, young too. I would love him if his market isn't too rich.

This doesn't take away from the fact that I believe we need to be getting a WR in the draft too.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

barfolomew likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

I think Douglas is going to stay with his mentality of trying to draft receivers in the sweet spot of the second and third round. A lot of great players come out of these rounds. This isn't a great receiver class for us at 23 (assuming we aren't taking Smith). There's a lot of value out there though in the lower rounds.

Pags2112, J-Raw24 and barfolomew like this.
  9. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

The problem with OBJ coming here doesn't lie in his abilities on the field. It's his attitude in the locker room and off the field. Douglas has said from day 1 that he wants high character guys. OBJ just doesn't fit what we are trying to do.

Pags2112, LAJet, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. At #23 we could possibly get Kadarius Toney or Rashod Bateman. Short of Chase, Waddle or Smith, there are no other WRs in this class that I'd rather have.

RochesterJet likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

I like Toney. Bateman was pretty underwhelming this past year when I saw him play. I doubt he gets into the first round. Granted his QB play sucked so it's tough to completely hold it against him. I'm not sure he's going to have the suddenness in his route runner enough to make it in the pros.

12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

hard no on OBJ. he's crazy and needs super high volume targets to keep him from being toxic.

Lon Chaney, cval, J-Raw24 and 2 others like this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we take Penie Sewell, we'd have a great oline but we can't afford to keep Sewell AND Becton, so it won't work. BUT, how about this:

Draft Sewell (can probably trade back a bit and still get him) and play him at RT to start out. Trade Becton after his 4th year for two 1sts (common). Parley those picks into new LT. Move Sewell over to LT and start rookie at RT. Then, year later trade Sewell for two 1sts, rinse and repeat. We'd ALWAYS have two great tackles and never have to pay any of them beyond their rookie contracts. We'd always have 'Becton' and 'Sewell' anchoring our oline, just the names change.

What could go wrong?

RochesterJet likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Lots could go wrong. Why draft a player at the same position as another very good play only to trade that other player? That's dumb. You only get a positive for 3 years and then it's a wash. One of the problems with the Jets is that they haven't kept many, if not most, of the few very good players they've drafted. They need to start keeping the good players they draft, or they'll never get anywhere.

The Jets need a QB and I believe will take one at #2, but even if they don't, they could trade down to around #11 or #12, get at least a 2nd and 3rd and probably a 1st next year as well, and they could take one of Slater or Darrisaw. They'd still get their future RT. Some experts have Slater rated ahead of Sewell anyway, and Darrisaw is not far behind those two, at least not far enough to make it worth passing up a additional 2nd, 3rd and 1st round picks.

#114 NCJetsfan, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    REVISion likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/02/19/...profile-las-vegas-raiders-lb-nicholas-morrow/

New York Jets free agent profile: Las Vegas Raiders LB Nicholas Morrow
    By
    Michael Nania
    -
    02/19/2021

The New York Jets need an infusion of athleticism and coverage talent at linebacker. Here’s why Nicholas Morrow is the perfect man for the job.

Positives
    Scheme fit
    As long as he stays healthy and available, the Jets have their MIKE linebacker in C.J. Mosley. He’ll stay on the field for just about every play and man the middle of the linebacking core. What the New York Jets need to look for over the next few months is a WILL (weak-side) linebacker to place beside him, someone who offers speed, athleticism and high-quality coverage ability.

Enter Nicholas Morrow. The 2017 undrafted free agent out of Division-III Greenville University (Illinois) is coming off a breakout 2020 season that established him as the exact type of player that the Jets will be seeking.

Tiny for a linebacker, as he stands at just six feet and 225 pounds, Morrow played safety in college before switching positions in the NFL. He has used his superior athletic tools to find his NFL home as a WILL linebacker in the Raiders’ 4-3 defense, making him a natural fit for the Jets.

When Morrow was drafted, the Raiders’ defensive coordinator was Ken Norton, who served as the Seahawks’ linebackers coach from 2010-14. Over that time period, Robert Saleh (2011-13) and Jeff Ulbrich (2010-11) coached in Seattle alongside Norton, inheriting the defensive philosophies of Pete Carroll that they have each carried with them throughout their NFL coaching careers.

Although he weighed only 216 pounds at the time, Morrow ran the forty-yard dash in 4.52 seconds at his pro day, a mark that would rank as the seventh-best in Combine history for an inside linebacker, according to Pro-Football-Reference. Obviously, his inferior weight would project to be a problem for him at the linebacker position regardless of his speed, but Morrow has bulked up a bit since getting into the NFL and has been able to hold up at the position full-time despite his lack of size.

Outstanding coverage in 2020
    Morrow was a backup-quality player over his first three seasons (more on that later), but in 2020, he ascended to an elite level in coverage.

Dropping back into coverage on 411 snaps over 14 games, Morrow was targeted 53 times and allowed 36 catches for 265 yards, four touchdowns and 10 first downs. That’s a conversion on just 26.4% of pass attempts, well below the 2020 league-wide average of 36.3%.

Morrow allowed only 5.0 yards per target, third-best among linebackers to face at least 30 targets in their direction, trailing only Roquan Smith and Lavonte David. His average of 0.64 yards allowed per cover snap placed at the 86th percentile among qualified linebackers, while his Pro Football Focus coverage grade of 70.4 landed at the 83rd percentile.

With a total of nine passes defended, Morrow trailed only K.J. Wright (10) among linebackers.

Blitzing
    Morrow has been a highly effective blitzer throughout his career. He has 29 career pressures over 138 pass-rush snaps, a pressure rate of 21.0% that is far beyond the 2020 positional average for linebackers (14.3%). In 2020, Morrow had a career-high pressure rate of 22.5% as he picked up nine pressures over 40 rushes.

Improvement as a tackler
    Missed tackles were a problem for Morrow prior to 2020, but his tackling consistency kicked up to a top-notch level in his fourth season. Morrow converted 78 tackles while missing only six, giving him a miss rate of 7.1%. The 2020 league average for linebackers was 10.1%.

Durability
    Morrow has played in 62 out of 64 possible career games (96.9%). The only games he has missed in his career came in Weeks 15-16 of 2020, with the first of those two games due to a concussion and the second due to COVID-19.

Just 25 years old today and about 26.1 years old when the season opens in September, Morrow is one of the youngest linebackers on the free agent market. Among unrestricted free agent linebackers who played at least 200 snaps last year, only Anthony Walker (26.0 on September 1) is younger.

Negatives
    Run defense
    Morrow’s lack of size and strength has been problematic for him in the run game, which is why he has never been a full-time every-down starter in his career. He has played 95% or more of his team’s snaps in 14/62 career games, just 22.6%, usually taking on the role to fill in for an injured starter. Morrow exceeded the 95% mark in six of his 14 games this past season.

In each of his four seasons, Morrow registered a PFF run defense grade that was below the positional average. His average percentile ranking among qualified linebackers (200+ snaps) in PFF’s run defense grade has been the 31st percentile, with a career-high 42nd-percentile ranking in 2020 (50.9 run defense grade).

Morrow is actually solid at finding the football to make stops in the run game. In 2020, he made 20 run stops over 272 snaps against the run for a rate of 7.4% that placed at the 61st percentile among qualified linebackers. He was solid at finishing tackles against the run as well, making 43 tackles in the run game and missing only three (6.5% miss rate).

How could Morrow grade poorly against the run if he is doing a good job of both getting to the ball and finishing when he gets there? Well, the fact that his run defense grade was so low in spite of those things suggests that he struggles in the off-the-stat-sheet facets of the phase. As we will see on film, Morrow was often at fault for allowing big runs as he struggled with fulfilling his gap responsibilities and getting off of blocks.

16. NCJetsfan

One-year-wonder status of 2020
    Teams thinking about pursuing Morrow will need to deduce whether his 2020 season was a mere outlier or a true breakout that will be sustainable.

Morrow did not put up very good coverage numbers prior to 2020. From 2017-20, he allowed 1.15 yards per cover snap and 7.9 yards per target (2020 LB averages: 0.96 and 7.3).

As mentioned earlier, Morrow was a poor tackler until making massive strides this past season. From 2017-20, Morrow had a 14.0% missed tackle rate, nearly double his 2020 rate of 7.1%.

Contract estimate
    I would expect Morrow to get a middle-of-the-road deal for a starting inside linebacker. He will attract plenty of interest for his young age, durability, and excellence in the passing game, but he will be held back from a lucrative deal due to his one-year-wonder status, run defense struggles, and lack of proven ability as an every-down player.

Morrow’s Raiders teammate Nick Kwiatkoski is a strong comparison. In 2020, Kwiatkoski hit the market heading into his age-27 season after a year in which he was a tremendous cover linebacker for the Bears, but his experience as a starter was limited – a similar résumé to Morrow.

Here’s how Kwiatkoski’s track record entering free agency compares to Morrow’s.

• Kwiatkoski: 512 snaps, 68.7 PFF coverage grade, 66.9 PFF run defense grade, 5.9 yards per target allowed, and 0.72 yards per cover snap allowed in most recent season. 22 career starts (5.5 per season), 1,464 career defensive snaps (366.0 per season)
    • Morrow: 723 snaps, 70.4 PFF coverage grade, 50.9 PFF run defense grade, 5.0 yards per target allowed, and 0.64 yards per cover snap allowed in most recent season. 29 career starts (7.3 per season), 1,697 career defensive snaps (424.3 per season)
    Kwiatkoski signed a three-year, $21 million deal with the Raiders that included $13.8 million guaranteed. His 2020 cap hit of $7 million ranked 16th among inside linebackers. Kwiatkoski delivered on the promise he showed in Chicago and gave the Raiders their money’s worth as he posted a 75.3 PFF coverage grade that ranked ninth-best among linebackers.

Look for Morrow to sign a deal somewhere in the range of Kwiatkoski’s.

Projecting Jets’ pursuit
    Morrow makes a lot of sense for Joe Douglas and the Jets. He is a young and schematically compatible upgrade at a position of need who will probably not break the bank.

Of course, Morrow’s game and track record are imperfect, which is why he is most likely not going to get a gargantuan deal, but that’s fine for the Jets at the inside linebacker position. With bigger holes at arguably more premium positions (such as OL, EDGE and CB) and an extremely expensive inside linebacker already under contract for at least two more years in Mosley, they don’t need to spend big at this position. However, with no inspiring options on the roster outside of Mosley, they do need to do something. Morrow provides a healthy middle ground, checking a lot of boxes while remaining within the Jets’ budget.

I am willing to bet that Morrow will be a prime target for the Jets. Few people in Jets circles (if any) have been talking about him, but he makes a ton of sense. Keep an eye on him.

The full article has film clips demonstrating Morrow's strengths and weaknesses.

#116 NCJetsfan, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    barfolomew likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Free Agent Profile - WR Kenny Golladay
    Should the New York Jets target the star WR next month?

Please like and subscribe to the channel

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

20. NCJetsfan

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/02/20/new-york-jets-free-agent-profile-tennessee-titans-lb-jayon-brown/

New York Jets free agent profile: Tennessee Titans LB Jayon Brown
    By
    Michael Nania
    -
    02/20/2021

Tennessee’s Jayon Brown is one of the best young linebackers on the market, and an excellent fit for the New York Jets.

Positives
    Fantastic coverage throughout career
    Jayon Brown (six-foot, 231 pounds) has been one of the best cover linebackers in the NFL over the past three seasons, posting some of the stingiest coverage numbers at his position on a yearly basis.

Let’s start with the 2020 season. Over his 10 games in 2020, Brown was as lockdown as usual in the passing game. He earned a coverage grade of 73.5 at Pro Football Focus, which ranked at the 89th percentile among qualified linebackers (200+ snaps). Brown was targeted 53 times over 377 snaps in coverage, allowing 37 catches for 328 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception. His average of 6.2 yards per target allowed ranked at the 77th percentile among qualifiers while his average of 0.87 yards per cover snap allowed placed at the 62nd percentile.

Most notably, Brown collected a total of eight passes defended, giving him an average of 0.8 per game that led all linebackers.

Brown’s year-to-year consistency in coverage is what will get him paid the big bucks in free agency. His 2020 season was no fluke – it was his third consecutive season ranking among the league’s elites in the coverage department. Teams can feel extremely confident that he will continue to cover at a high level in the future.

From 2018-20, Brown posted a composite PFF coverage grade of 77.1. That ranked fourth-best among linebackers over that span, trailing only Fred Warner (78.0), Eric Kendricks (78.8), and Lavonte David (84.9).

Brown collected 22 passes defended from 2018-20, tied with Darius Leonard and Cory Littleton for fifth-most at the position over that span, trailing Tremaine Edmunds (24), K.J. Wright (24), Bobby Wagner (25), and Eric Kendricks (25).

Over the past three seasons, Brown dropped into coverage on 1,306 snaps and was targeted 176 times, allowing 121 catches for measly numbers of 1,028 yards, three touchdowns, and three interceptions. Here are how some of those numbers compare to the 2020 league averages among linebackers:
    • Brown 2018-20: 5.8 yards per target. 2020 LB average: 7.3
    • Brown 2018-20: 82.3 passer rating. 2020 LB average: 106.0
    • Brown 2018-20: 0.79 yards per cover snap. 2020 LB average: 0.96
    • Brown 2018-20: 1.0-to-1 touchdown/interception ratio. 2020 LB average: 3.3-to-1
    • Brown 2018-20: 1 touchdown allowed every 435.3 cover snaps. 2020 LB average: 187.1
    That’s a three-year, 40-game sample, and Brown obliterates the positional standard in every category. He’s for real.

Every-down ability
    After starting out his career as a backup and sub-package piece, Brown developed into an every-down linebacker for the Titans in 2019. Removing games he left early due to injury, Brown participated in 96% of the Titans’ defensive snaps in his average outing from 2019-20.

Blitzing
    Brown has a track record of top-notch production as a pass rusher. Back in 2018, he picked up 6.0 sacks (actually seven, as he had two half-sacks) and tied for eighth among linebackers with 18 total pressures. The Titans utilized him heavily as a blitzer that season, as his total of 103 pass-rush snaps ranked 13th at the position.

Tennessee oddly dialed back on its usage of Brown as a blitzer after that standout season of production, dropping him from 6.4 rushes per game in 2018 to 4.9 in 2019 and 3.5 in 2020. He remained decently efficient over the smaller volume with 16 pressures over 103 rushes from 2019-20, a 15.5% rate that beats the 2020 positional average of 14.3%.

For his career, Brown has 42 pressures over 247 rushes, a solid rate of 17.0%.

Tackling
    Brown owns a career missed tackle rate of 9.6%, slightly below the 2020 positional average of 10.7%. He improved over the past two seasons, whiffing on only 8.6% of his tackle opportunities from 2019-20.

On the 26th of February, Brown will turn 26 years old. He’ll be approximately 26.5 years old on September 1, making him the fourth-youngest unrestricted free agent linebacker that played at least 200 snaps last year.

Negatives
    Run defense
    Brown doesn’t seem to be a terrible run defender, but he has generally performed at a mediocre level in this phase from a grading standpoint. Here is where he has ranked among qualified linebackers (200+ snaps) in PFF’s run defense grade throughout his career:

• 2020: 49.6 grade, 64th of 102 (38th percentile)
    • 2019: 66.5 grade, 37th of 104 (65th percentile)
    • 2018: 62.2 grade, 59th of 98 (40th percentile)
    • 2017: 49.7 grade, 94th of 102 (8th percentile)
    Brown’s run defense has not been bad enough to have a drastic effect on his overall impact, however. Even with lackluster grades against the run, PFF still has him as one of the league’s best overall linebackers throughout the past three seasons. His composite overall PFF grade of 73.6 from 2018-20 ranked seventh-best among linebackers over that span:

1. Bobby Wagner (83.3)
    2. Lavonte David (83.3)
    3. Demario Davis (81.1)
    4. Eric Kendricks (79.1)
    5. Darius Leonard (77.8)
    6. Alexander Johnson (74.8)
    7. Jayon Brown (73.6)
    Durability
    Some durability concerns have arisen for Brown over the past two years. From 2017-18, he appeared in all 34 of Tennessee’s regular season and playoff games. Since 2019, he has played in 26 of 35 games (74.3%).

In 2019, Brown officially missed 3 games (including the playoffs) but he essentially missed 5.5 games. He went down with a groin injury just five snaps into Tennessee’s Week 6 game against Denver and then missed the team’s Week 7 game against the Chargers. He returned the week following the Chargers game, although he only played one full game until he went down halfway through the next game due to the same groin problem, and he went on to miss the game after that. So, that’s only two official missed games, but he actually missed about a full game-and-a-half in addition to those.

In the 2019 playoffs, Brown left Tennessee’s Wild Card matchup with the Patriots after only 10 snaps due to a shoulder injury, which kept him out of the team’s Divisional clash with the Ravens. He returned for the AFC Championship battle with the Chiefs.

This past season, Brown was unhindered until a dislocated and fractured elbow in his 10th game landed him on season-ending injured reserve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.