FA & Potential Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Feb 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Not sure that it would be such a bad thing if he retired in 3 years. We can draft and develop players behind the veterans on our team to replace them.

I get your thinking and I do agree that in most cases this is the prudent and best choice to make. I do think that it would be smart though to invest in FA and the draft to properly protect our QB no matter who they are. Just my two cents. Like I said, I respect your take here.

hornblower and Br4d like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO he (Thuney) should be the Jets #1 target. We won't be able to draft 2 OGs this year, and we need to protect the QB (whoever it is). The most important thing is fixing the OL to give the new QB, Saleh, LaFleur, the offense and the Jets a chance to succeed.

I read somewhere that JD was going to make a run at him last year until the Patriots tagged him. If true, then it's almost a guarantee that JD will pursue him again this year. If JD signs Thuney and drafts an OG, our OL should quickly get a lot better. The left side of the OL with Becton and Thuney would be an impenetrable rock.

#82 NCJetsfan, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  3. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree regarding Thuney and Robinson and think you have it backwards. Being a former OL JD is going to place a priority on fixing the OL. We have the space to sign him, and he would make this offense a lot better/more productive. JD was going to try to sign Thuney last year, and I believe he would pay big $s to a stud OL. I worry that he won't be willing to pay big $s to a stud WR like Robinson.

I also totally disagree with your take on Robinson vs. Schuster. Robinson is a stud. He has taken care of himself and should be fine. Ju-Ju never had much speed to begin with, is not that good, he has an attitude problem, and I'm certain that JD isn't even considering him. He's a slot WR anyway, and we have Crowder. Corey Davis is better than Ju-Ju. Godwin will probably get tagged by the Bucs, but if not, I'd love to add him. Other options are Golladay and Davis, and there might even be a few more. IMO you can forget about JD signing Schuster. It will never happen.

If it was up to me the two top priority FAs would be both Thuney and Robinson.

#83 NCJetsfan, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    PJ4Ever, hornblower and NOVAJET like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

They need two OGs and they won't be able to draft both. They need a veteran OG to lend some stability to the OL. One doesn't want 3-4 rookies on the OL. You need a mixture of veterans and young players. I totally disagree that Thuney is 50/50 to retire by 31. I don't think he has ever missed a game, and there's no reason why he couldn't play at a high level well into his 30s. Even if he does retire then, that would give Clark time to develop or JD 3 years to draft and develop his replacement. Thuney is TOTALLY the type of player you want to start your rebuild with. He would bring credibility and respect to the Jets' OL, would protect the QB and open things up in the rushing attack, and could help mentor the rookie OG we draft and Clark.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well we certainly need some guards, there can be no argument to that.

apjbfc and PennyandtheJets like this.
  6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This. Hard to argue them going after a guard in free agency or early in the draft.

hornblower and K'OB like this.
  7. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

so how does a team like the Jets spend its cap space if not on the offensive line?

this is ridiculous

PJ4Ever and apjbfc like this.
  8. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I'm more bothered about picking up a top quality Oline player from F.A.

I cannot see A Rob come here unless someone from Texas comes over in a trade. The guy deserves to play with a good QB. I would not be supprised to see him sign with a team that has a QB that's shown he can play.

Not that I don't like A Rob. I just figure with an actual play caller, I hope to see more from Mims and a new rookie WR, along with a good lineman.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

OBJ the player from 4years ago would be a beast in this offense.

I just don't like OBJ. Have a fight with a net on another team.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

There is 0% chance Douglas trades for OBJ. He wants high character players.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I wonder if JD will sink more big money into a Perryman to go alongside CJ or would go in another direction...try to get a underutilized LB who needs an opportunity like Davis formerly of the Lions. KJ Wright would be a good system fit but he’s a bit long in the tooth.

12. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I like the Perryman and Curtis Samuel signing a lot. They are 2 players that I think would thrive here

PJ4Ever likes this.
  13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Love me some Curtis Samuel. I want A-Rob, but I don’t think Samuel, Mims and Crowder is a bad trio. Would need Mims to take a 2nd year leap in this scenario though.

K'OB likes this.
  14. K'OB

He is bound to improve, now those useless twunts have been sacked.

#94 K'OB, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Give me Jonnu Smith as the Kittle in this offense alllllll day.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not that I'm in love with Beckham and yeah he is kind of a fairy, but if Beckham is a pair of shiny Nike high topps, Curtis Samuel is a pair of Payless clearance rack version of shiny high topps

at the end of the day it is good to have nice things once in awhile

17. BroadwayAaron

You're comparing apples and oranges IMO. Samuel is just as much a threat on the ground as he is through the air. 40 rushes for 200 yards last year. That's a hell of a weapon to have especially in an offense that's going to utilize the jet sweep and motion in general. If you look at total yardage, Samuel's past season matches up with just about any Beckham season from the last four years. Not even a question in my mind which one I'd rather have from almost every perspective imaginable.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  18. K'OB

I'd love Samual at the Jets tbh probably more so than Robinson, who is brilliant but is entering the last big contract of his career and we have a shit record with this kind of signing recently, think Samual at 24 gives us two contract terms at least and will build and grow with the new QB if we get one of those of course.

19. BroadwayAaron

I'd take Robinson over Samuel myself but I wouldn't complain for even a second if we ended up with Samuel instead. Look at Aiyuk and the way he was used in SF. He missed 5 games and still put up 60 receptions and 750 yards. He ran some sweeps, caught a lot of balls in the flat off designed plays that let him use his speed and agility... and that was with mostly shit at QB. I could see Samuel thriving here in that role.

apjbfc, J-Raw24 and K'OB like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Beckham is the get superior player but he comes with locker room drama.

Samuel has equal injury concerns and might ultimately be the better fit given that he's younger and doesn't have the locker room questions associated with him. Especially when considering we have a young locker room with a rookie coaching staff.

But let's not act like Odell doesn't command more coverage attention and is a much better player when those factors are removed and you're comparing on-field play.

His production last year is about equal to Beckham's best season over the past four years simply because of injury and is not indicative of talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.