FA OT Duane Brown Signs with Jets.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD Strikes!!!

Yes! HUGE move, under the circumstances.

Nyjets4eva, SOJAZ, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm really pleased JD got this done.

Jets79, Nyjets4eva, Poeman and 3 others like this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Pretty significant investment. I still expect this to essentially be a 1 yr/11M contract but we'll see when the guarantees get announced.

He might have even gone more on the guarantees this year just to get him in the building.

Noam likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Depending on how the LT/RT debacle plays out, this move could legitimately mean we have a better starting OL than when Becton was healthy.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We know who the starting LT is now.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Brown should throw Becton a couple million after getting that deal.

Great move by Douglas though. Zach needs to be protected at all costs and it looks like the Jets agree with that price.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree with those guys. He has been LT his whole career and they just signed him for LT money.

Noam and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. ukjetsfan

I still want another capable tackle if at all possible. Maybe someone will shake loose. I wanted Brown in here even while Becton was still a starter, so I think we still need a better back-up option than we currently have.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

*double post*

#114 KY Jets Fan, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Noam likes this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

They may want to give Mitchell a look at RT though. I'd expect them to see how he plays in the first couple preseason games and if they think he's still a year or two away, then add another OT.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- With right tackle Mekhi Becton likely sidelined the entire season with a knee injury, the New York Jets finalized a two-year, $22 million contract with offensive tackle Duane Brown, a five-time Pro Bowler, sources told ESPN.

The veteran free agent visited with the Jets over the weekend, attending their annual Green & White scrimmage at MetLife Stadium.

The Jets began courting Brown before Becton's injury Monday. Initially, coach Robert Saleh said Brown would be a "bonus" because he was satisfied with his tackle situation, but that changed Monday night when Becton's MRI revealed a chip fracture in his right kneecap.

Brown, who turns 37 on Aug. 30, has 203 career starts -- all at left tackle. His position with the Jets has yet to be determined, a source said. It will be discussed once he arrives. He didn't miss a start the past two seasons while playing for the Seattle Seahawks. He has five Pro Bowls on his resume; he made it as an injury replacement last season.

Statistically, Brown performed well for the Seahawks. He finished 26th among offensive tackles in pass block win rate, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

If Brown plays left tackle, George Fant will move back to right tackle, where he played in 2020. The current backups are Conor McDermott and Chuma Edoga, neither of whom is a lock to make the final roster. McDermott sprained his left ankle in the scrimmage and is expected to miss one to two weeks. The Jets also selected Max Mitchell in the fourth round of the 2022 draft.

The Jets spent months looking for an experienced backup to Fant and Becton. In June, they visited with Riley Reiff, who wound up signing with the Chicago Bears. The sense of urgency was elevated with Becton's injury, which occurred Monday.

Brown was arrested last month at Los Angeles International Airport for allegedly carrying a concealed weapon. He was booked on a misdemeanor charge and released after posting a $10,000 bond.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So were paying him more than twice what the Ravens paid Moses? Dude needs to send Becton a Christmas card this year.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

... or vicey versey.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

When did I miss the standout Moses season? Why is he all of a sudden the benchmark here? And besides that, Brown is going to play LT, not RT so yes he's getting paid more. We don't even know the structure of the deal yet.

20. ukjetsfan

Fair enough. I was thinking the praise for him might have been trying to put on a brave face after losing Becton. If it was genuine, and he is ahead of where they expected him to be, then maybe the team will stand pat. I think I would feel better with a vet back-up, though, but if watching the Jets for nearly 40 years has taught me anything, it is that they don't give a damn how I feel.

cval and KY Jets Fan like this.