FA OT Duane Brown Signs with Jets.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Signing Brown should be a no brainer, no matter how well Edoga and Mitchell might perform, there is still depth and/or injury issues.

Get Brown in camp and let him compete for a job. Why wait ???

As for Becton, IMHO, even when healthy he was over-rated.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This does not fit the timeline of framework of the deal being in place, physical arranged, the fact Saleh said he thought injury was nothing on Monday, etc... Also if JD already knew Becton was possibly screwed and framework was in place, he would pull the trigger on Sunday. No, it's quite obvious timing was slightly off. It seems to me Duane now wants more than agreed framework because Becton was hurt and he is now a starter. JD is not raising or not raising much.

I must say JD has brass balls to keep this stance now with such a hole at Tackle, but who knows, maybe it will work. Maybe it also has to do with Fant not willing to move to RT. Before if we got Duane, Fant possibly moving to the RT was only an emergency scenario in case Becton was hurt, now we need a plan A for RT. We will have to wait and see, but JD needs to do something and soon.

#62 Borat, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Certainly Duane could have balked at doing the deal on Sunday for a variety of reasons but the timing of his visit immediately after Becton started showing knee issues is telling. It could be coincidental or it could have spurred JD to being him in. The question is how much did the FO suspect about the possibility of kneecap coming out of place last week after failing to do the more serious surgery last year to protect him against subsequent injury? If they suspected they would likely have known that season ending surgery could be needed? If they did not suspect maybe they should be questioning the medical advice they are getting.

#63 Noam, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If Brown has other teams interested they sure are being stealthy about it. I've only seen him connected to the Jets so far.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

My guess is Brown was here Saturday to do the prelims but at 37 is in no hurry to get into a camp. joe d is going to take this time to evaluate the situation a little more. I wouldn’t expect a signing until Sunday at the earliest but wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t until after ps game 2

ouchy likes this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The question is how could anyone with a single brain cell let Morgan Moses walk when thus far Becton has been the poster boy for unreliability. This was the epitome of a stubborn GM who refuses to admit a mistake. The entire 2020 draft was a disaster, and if ZW spends his sophomore season on his back the majority of the time his 2021 draft doesn’t look much better.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

To be fair, Moses had a chance to start for a contender. Why would he sign with us to be a back-up to Becton? It makes absolutely no sense for Moses no matter what JD wants. The mistake was not replacing him, but it looks like JD did have a plan to get Duane to replace Moses. They already had framework of the deal in place and Duane took a physical.

Now that Becton is out, Duane wants more money, but let's see how all works out. There are still options out there. Moses, however, was not a realistic one after Baltimore called.

REVISion and ouchy like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think the point about medical team not evaluating Becton properly after he had initial discomfort last week is fair. But the theory JD knew Becton could be fucked last week without MRI, hid it, quickly brought Duane, had the framework in, but yet still didn't sign him, then had Saleh say this was minor, only to then have MRI to show Becton was fucked is not something I am going to entertain at the moment.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Plus we only gave him 1 year at 3.5 million, and Baltimore gave him 3 years at 15 million.

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

My guess is if Brown is still in play, we'll see him sign closer to the start of the season.

He's 37 and probably doesnt want to do the whole training camp thing during a super hot August. There are no legitimate threats to him anywhere, so he'll walk right into a starting role.

FJF likes this.
  11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Moses was pretty much guaranteed to be our starter. Becton was move to RT because of the fact he’s unreliable and can’t stay on the field. There’s literally thread upon thread asking if Becton can finally stay healthy. Who in the world DIDN’T think Becton would be hurt this year? Pay Moses more than BAL and he’d still be here and we’d be talking about signing Duane Brown for depth. Now we’re praying he might sign as a starter with Edoga or some 4th rounder literally an injury away from being in charge of protecting our QB. We do this all the time it’s so mind numbingly frustrating, draft QB with top 5 pick and then proceed to play stupid games with the OL. Second verse, same as the first… Zach spends the season getting the shit knocked out of him, plays like trash, and half the fanbase blames the OL and swear he deserves a 3rd season. I guarantee you in 2 years we’re doing this all over….. again.

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

that’s my point, give Moses 3 years 15m. What’s the worst that could’ve happened, we’d have a reliable RT for 3 years at 5m per!?! The horror! If that’s too expensive tough shit. Protect the QB. Until a rookie QB can stand on his own feet all resources should be poured into supporting and protecting the QB. But hey, at least we signed a Safety over the offseason.

blackssmagic likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Except with Baltimore in the running, and being a better team, we would have had to give him six million a year. The dreaded Jet tax.

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

ok? ‍♂️ So give it to him. He was a reliable solid RT. That’s not worth 6m a year?

15. FJF

Do you have link to the claim brown is now asking for more money? If there was an agreed upon amount before MB was injured I highly doubt what you’re claiming is true. It’s unprofessional and the agent would be hurting his rep for very little in the grand scheme of things.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think he wanted to start and the Jets didn't have a starting spot for him. It's easy to say in retrospect that they should have kept Moses, but they had to give Becton a chance.

17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

right, and every single shred of historical and current evidence showed that Becton was not going to make it through a season. If there’s a position on this team that we should be overspending on it OL. Even if we handed Moses a 3 year 6m per deal and he sat on the bench the whole season behind Becton it’d be worth it for the depth alone. Again, we are now trucking our struggling 2nd year QB out there with the best case scenario of a 37 year old off the street protecting him, or Edoga. Come on man, how is this defensible?

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Is it known what we offered Moses? How do we know he didn't choose Baltimore because he had a clearer shot for a starting job anyway? Unless we have facts, it's all speculation what we should have done or didn't do.
    I agree it would have been great to bring back Moses, but easier said than done

FJF likes this.
  19. FJF

Posters act like the players don’t have choices

20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Yeah he wasn’t given a choice, he was given a much better offer by BAL. An offer WE should have been giving him at the least, if not better.