FA backs still on the market

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Jun 15, 2012.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

The reason why I raised the question about a possiable addition of another PROVEN back (Benson is the guy in my opnion) is becasue

1) Greene has injury, pass protection, and recieving issues (Basically tippin our hand when he is in there)

2) Mcknight hasnt been able to pound the ball inside the tackles (sweeps, tosses) are what you will see with him in there. He can recieve and his pass pro isnt good either

3) Powell, guy was tripping over his own feet last year, who knows what we have in him

4) Ganaway; who knows? I like what I saw out of him on tape, but this is the NFL and there will be an adjustment. Usually rookie backs dont pick up blitzes or recieve well.

So, yes I'm a tad concerned at the lack of proven depth....rebutals?

2. reverseapachemaster

Slauson can probable execute a great fumblerooski.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think McKnight is going to step up big time this year- 1000 all purpose yards. He can catch the ball and is probably one of the most explosive players on the team. He bulked up to 215 and that should definitely help him running in between the tackles (where as at the beginning of last year he was around 185). If he can hang on to the ball and improve in pass protection (added size should help here too), I think he can be a very good player for us this year.

Bilal Powell is one of the biggest unknowns on the team, in not THE. Who knows what this kid is, he could turn into something, he could more likely not.

Ganaway is a great fit for this system and was a great pick. He could help take the load off Greene.

I wouldnt mind adding Benson, but I would like to get the young players as many reps as possible. If they fail to step up, then I would be for signing him mid-late training camp.... But I wouldnt really like him signing now, and I dont really see it happening.

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Maybe the Jets coaches know something the rest of us don't know and the RB's will be awesome... but I certainly don't think it was in any way out of line to suggest they might like to bring a proven vet in to at least compete for a spot.

5. RochesterJet

Just thought I would disclose the financials of the Benson Deal. Man, for this price I wish the Jets would have taken a flier on him. It will be interesting to see our younger guys develop, I was underwhelmed by powell last week and McKnight seems like a 3rd down back to me. Benson could have been of some real use to us this year...

Packers | Cedric Benson contract update
    Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:42:33 -0700

Updating a previous report, Green Bay Packers RB Cedric Benson signed a one-year deal worth $825,000. The deal does not include any incentives based on performance.

Read more: http://nflnews.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz23oGMXxIT

6. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Wow, what a deal for the Packers.

Pay the guy the league minimum with no incentive payouts for performance.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think it's by committee this year. I expect the Jets to ride with the "hot hand" if Powell is having a good game they'll give him majority of the carries. Ditto for Greene and McKnight. We have a solid set of backs on this team and we should give these guys a chance we drafted them with the intension of developing these guys to become contributors to this team.

8. RochesterJet

I like your intentions of this post but its kind of a contradiction...We dont know if we have a solid stable of backs as they are all, but Greene, unproven. WHile I agree that they need to be given a chance, as we drafted them, they need to EARN IT! With this contract, I would have felt a little more at ease with a SOLID, PROVEN back in Benson just in case.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't understand why everyone likes Benson so much? What is so great about him? He fumbles as often as he scores a TD and has had less than 4 YPC the last two years.

If Greene did that he'd be crucified by everyone on here, but since Benson isn't a Jet everyone seems to want him.

10. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Packers got a veteran RB who will provide depth for the league minimum.

I seriously doubt Benson will be getting 20+ touches per game.

11. RochesterJet

I know what I like about him. He has the ability to NOT be a liability in pass protection (that can't be said about any of our current backs, unless they have really developed this off-season), he has reliable hands out of the backfield (this too is an area of concern with our current group, especially Greene, our starter).

Has Benson fumbled in the past yes (19 total fumbles on over 1500 carries) Mind you Greene is on pace for more fumbles per carry then Benson as he has 7 in a tad over 500 career carries). So, Yes Benson is an upgrade to what we currently have and is cheaper....But hes a Packer

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Powell has played well in camp and McKnight looked good in his first preseason game. It's understandable why you would want a proven back, but we have had these guys on the roster fir the last 2/3 years we have to see what they can do.

13. BookEndTackles 72&79

Greene and Benson would be redundant. Benson is no threat out of the backfield and he fumbles. Pass protection he might be fine although I don't really know. People here complain about Greene's lack of breakaway ability and down on first contact. Benson is the same and he averaged less YPC than Greene did. Rather go with McKnight and Powell and see what we have.

14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It's funny to me how the fans keep getting fed "Powell looks good in camp".

Every time I've seen him in game action, he's looked indecisive, slow to the hole, and goes down at first contact.

But hey, Ducasse has looked great too. And didn't Big Vern catch high praise his last season here?

15. RochesterJet

Exactly, no matter how much make-up you put on a skank; she's still a skank! I dont care how Rex much rex clammers about a player (i have heard GREAT things about 1)Vlad 2) Powell 3) Chaz 4) Howard 5) Coples 6)White 7)Davis this pre-season already). Do we have a problem recognizing areas of weakness and try to cover it up by not acknowladging it? Whil RB isnt the only area of concern on tis offense; it would have been nice to pick up Benson for that salary! He would have stabilized the running back core.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Running backs age very quickly. Look at what Benson has done the last 2 years instead of the first 6 years of his career. He's on the downside and has had a fumbling problem the last two years.

He's not special enough to prevent our young guys from developing.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Powell has never impressed me either but I'd like to see a little more than what I have before I write him off. RB is a young mans game.

Did you see Ducasse play in the first preseason game? He looked much improved over last year.

18. reverseapachemaster

I bet we could still get Namath to come back.

19. RochesterJet

way to add some insight... You do know Namath is in his late 60's right? Nice attempt at a sarcastic remark. If you dont see the potential for a disaster at the RB position; I dont know what to tell you. Further-more. This entire Offense is going to be very difficult to watch this year IMO. I want as many wepons as possiable; and at that price I would loved to have Benson. If Greene misses an extended peroid of time we are in real trouble (not that our offense scares anybody with him).

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Oof, this close to ignore list worthy. Gholston wasn't praised during any season here. They thought he would improve and come around but he never did despite trying a few different positions. He had a grand total of ZERO sacks, even in the preseason. Funny how people draw comparisons that have no merit.