Exploring the options of the #2 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ouchy, Jan 12, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Well, I feel dumb now. Been a while since they produced one though.

JetsKickAss and Losmeister like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really use Ty Detmer or Marc Wilson as some sort of NFL success story though...

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

no doubt its been a while.
    seems pretty dense to me to boil it down to schools.
    whose a good Wisconsin QB b4 Russ Wilson?
    Bama wins titles not a good QB outta Bama since... freaking Stabler and Namath, ffs...
    i\t's down to the players...the individual who has the brain and the athleteic skills.
    its hard to see who'll come good and not...

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Losmeister

they were ok.
    bettern Sam.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Nice work Ouchy!

I think JD will trade down cautiously with an eye on a new QB (Justin Fields, Zack Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones)

He may trade down with Philly at 6 (his old stomping grounds) for two 2nds (2021, 2022).

Philly moves up from #6 to #2 and takes (surprise) Sewell to protect Jalen Hurts' or Wentz's blind side for the next decade. Good move.

Miami at #3 takes DeVonta Smith, to give Tua a true weapon.

Atlanta at #4 decides to give Ryan another year and another super weapon and they grab Florida's Pitts, a freak TE any team would love.

Bengals at #5 grab LSU WR Chase for a college reunion with Joe Burrow.

Jets on the clock at #6 (from Philly) with all 4 QBs still on the board. Hmmm. JD may take one at this point, or roll the dice again. You feeling lucky? He's already picked up two 2nds for his fist trade down with Philly but all 4 of the QBs he likes are still there. So JD calls Broncos at #9 and offer them our #6 for their #9 and a 2021 2nd round pick. Deal Done. Broncos uses our #6 to grab Rashaw Slater, the best Tackel left in the draft.

Detroit sitting at #7 grabs Jaylen Waddle, top WR. Something Staffords been missing since Megatron retired.

Panthers at #8 were really hoping for Waddle but move to the other side of the ball and shore up their 2ndary with Patrick Surtain DB.

Broncos pick at #9 but they traded to the Jets. But here we are, with all 4 QBs still on the board. We already traded down twice picking up three 2nd round pics. SOOOO....Joe spins the wheel and trades down for the third time with San Fran at 12. With our 9th pic, SanFran moves up and takes Justin Fields, the 2nd QB gone after Trevor Lawrence.

Dallas at 10 grabs Farley, DB. Their defense is terrible and they really need help. They get it with Farley.

Giants on the clock at 11 and Gettlmen rounds out his dline with massive DT Kwity Payne. No one in his division will run on his team.

SanFran at 12 traded this pick to the jets. So ater 3 small trades and picking up four 2nd round picks, JD finally drafts Zack Wilson, BYU QB.

JD now has his QB in Zack Wilson. He still has another 1st round pick from Seallte coming up soon. And he picked up two 2nd round picks this draft, and two more 2nd round picks next draft. The players JD gets with these 2nd round picks will all be good starters in different positions around the team.

Good job Joe!

#45 Footballgod214, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  6. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

love the effort but teams hate giving up capital unless they are getting someone they absolutely want and need and its hard enough to pull of one trade in the first round much less 3 separate ones just dont see this happening.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Cool thanks. I like the idea of multiple trades. I'm not sure the QBs will last that long though, but who knows how the bottom of the top 10 will go? There is two trades for us but I think it would involve us staying in the top 5 for the first one.

If Phily wanted to jump from 6 to 2 we would get even more then two 2nds. Position two is a powerful spot and if your outside of the top 5 the rent really goes up fast.

8. Losmeister

riggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht
    [​IMG]

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I know...it's a hyperbole at this point. But I had Eagles trading up 4 to grab Sowel (reasonable) and 9'ers trading up 3 to grab Justin Fields, also reasonable.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

CBS 24/7 first round draft has JD staying pat at 2 and picking Fields, and at 23 the mammoth OG from Alabama Leatherwood. That will make many here very happy. Free agency with Thuney and a top WR and the offense would have some horsepower on the run and PA.

REVISion likes this.
  11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i assume you are using trade value calculator for this. it seems very low, i would assume it would cost quite a bit to move from 5 to 2 and a ton to move from 12 to 2. like multiple first round picks. if it was already discussed forgive me i didnt read the whole thread.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, Meyers stated earlier than he ranked TL 1 and Fields 2 simply because TL has one more year under his belt. He further mentioned that they are close, and any rumors that Fields is not a top passing QB are simply inaccurate. Interesting

alleycat9 likes this.
  13. The Curse of Joe Namath

Assuming a team will be willing to trade up to pick #2 is implying something of high value will be available at 2.

In this case it’s Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Sewell. Now we can eliminate Sewell based on 3 factors: 1.Becton 2.our tackles aren’t the problem it’s the interior 3. Very deep O-Line class with 3 rounds of legitimate talent

So now back to the NYJ on the clock at 2, perfect opportunity to get any QB that isn’t named Lawrence. If the Jets stay put and select a QB it will by the new coach and Joe Douglas more time and patience from the fanbase.

Now, let’s say Joe Douglas decides to go the stick with Sam route, sign a vet and draft a QB in later rounds. This imo is the most dangerous approach, Sam would not only have to show Josh Allen levels of improvement, he would also be connected to a second set of QBs. So not only would he be compared to Josh, Lamar, Baker, the list would extend to any QB selected at the top this year. The pressure of Lawrence replacing Sam was too much for him, what would this do?

The odds of Sam or any QB becoming a top player after spending the first 3 seasons of their career in the gutter are extremely low. The odds of a first round QB taken after Lawrence becoming a stud is way higher than Sam even reaching average. And average won’t be enough when you had the opportunity to get a talented rookie replacement.

IMO the NYJ have no choice but to draft a QB at the top because the optics of passing on another Watson/Mahomes type player because you have Hackenberg, is legacy defining. Even if Sam goes on to become the next Brees(which is HIGHLY unlikely) and the QB picked at 2 bust, Joe Douglas and the new coach will have the crutch of Sam being a bottom QB sense entering the league, expiring contract and potentially losing him for nothing.

Bottom line is when you have the worst starting QB in the league on a expiring deal and you have 2 or more QB prospects people are projecting teams to trade up for... The NYJ for no logical reason could justify passing on one of those QBs at 2.

this draft and offseason will be interesting

bicketybam, Borat and REVISion like this.
  14. REVISion

I would love this. We could also take a dual threat RB with our early 2nd round pick.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  15. REVISion

Great summary of our current predicament and I agree with everything. The bold is really the crux of everything. We need to be emotionless with our decisions and do what has the highest probability of success.

16. The Curse of Joe Namath

A interesting take from Bay Area media posted today:

“Saleh will undoubtedly bring some 49ers assistants with him to New York, likely choosing either Mike LaFleur (passing game coordinator) or Mike McDaniel (run game coordinator) to run the team’s offense. If he does, it could open the door for a significant transaction.

The Jets will have at least $70 million in cap space this offseason and the second overall pick in the draft. While fans are frustrated to miss out on Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence, they are in prime position to draft the next best signal-caller. Ohio State’s Justin Fields and BYU’s Zach Wilson are the two names touted as the second-best QB prospect in this year’s draft. While 2018 first-round pick Sam Darnold could serve as a bridge to a new QB in New York, a more proven veteran option with familiarity in a Shanahan-style system would seem like a better fit.”

Via: Yahoo Sports

if Robert or the HC the jets select bring the 49ers offensive system looks like Sams a goner

#56 The Curse of Joe Namath, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  17. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i believe steve young was a byu qb. :cool:
    he has a super bowl ring.

#57 mr nyjet, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    REVISion likes this.
  18. mr nyjet

i like this senario but what is the probability?
    douglas has to have a lot of teams wanting to move up and hand over their 2nd round pick.

19. mr nyjet

not agreeing with the ne guard signing.
    giants signed ne tackle and it was costly mistake.
    rather draft a guard and center , use fa money on cb, pass rusher, or wideout.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i hate it when things like this happen. but i have 0 interest in zach wilson as the starting qb for the jets. im starting to lean towards keeping sam and trading down. someone will want that 2 pick bad and if the top guys dont feel like fields is the guy i hope they trade it.

i have no interest in not liking another top of the first round qb like what happened with sanchez.