Explain to me why Bowles wasn't the one who announced Geno the starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, May 21, 2015.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't think this was a premeditated decision I think he just kind of answered the question and of course the media took it and ran with it and ESPN had to go and make it a headline.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plan A was in FA when Mac I assume turned over every rock to get us a Vet QB. This was proving notoriously hard, so maybe Gaily stepped up and suggested Fitz plus Mac knew about him too from Texans.

Plan B was to really try and land Mariota or Winston during draft. Price too high. Petty acquired, possible future savior.

Plan C was to activate the FitzGeno show for this Fall with both QB lending their skill to win us games. Fitz is still pretty hobbled so Geno wins by default.

Plan D is now ongoing to find a suitable additional Vet QB and keep drafting QBs. It is really pathetically scary that the FO was sold on having Smith the starter from day one with no competition. That's what troubles me most.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bowles inherited a team with a 3 yr starter already in place. What's he supposed to say? "We love ya kid and think you can be a star, but we're gonna bench ya for this ol guy with a broken leg"

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The saddest thing about this entire situation is, "the old guy with the busted leg" was the best we could do for a vet Qb.

5. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

I agree that this announcement wasn't off the cuff, and I think Bowles was involved (at least I hope).

We can guess at why they have decided to do it this way...coddle Geno a bit rather than have it be an all out competition.

I think Bowles has figured out already that Geno has a fragile ego, and he feels he needs help making him feel like "the man". So rather than lessening his standing with the team, as far as being a leader, they decided to make him the #1 guy from the start.

Why did Smith have two of his best games in Miami? He grew up within walking distance of that stadium. Maybe he feels comfortable there...by that logic if he can be made to feel comfortable elsewhere, then maybe we'll have no more Buffalo type games.

6. NYJetsO12

On April 28th Fitz told press he is "on pace" for starting training camp in July. Maybe he has miraculous recovery. He had the 9th highest QB rating in league last year and Geno was 29th.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Cman68

He's 32. Maybe he has some magical healing powers. If he takes the kind of hits Geno took last year, can he stand up to the punishment? I'm sure all these questions have been asked and answered so its time for some blind faith once again. Good thing there aren't any expectations except for marginal improvement over 4-12 this season.

Hell, let them experiment with Geno. What exactly do we have to lose? Not a damn thing.

8. NYJetsO12

He is certainly being coddled and "handled psychologically". Not sure if this is so smart, so we will see. In the NFL you play coast to coast and you are expected to be playing your best and in other stadiums how can you be "feeling comfortable"? Geno needs to get over himself IMO ; the spirit of competition should bring out best not worse in you.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

You don't need magical healing powers to come back from a cleanly broken tibia, which is what happened to Fitz, in 7 months. This isn't like a tendon or ligament tear, there isn't a lot of rehab required aside from strengthening the muscles that weren't used during the time his leg was in a cast

10. Cman68

But can he get hit again in the same or a nearby spot without additional damage? Since he's only a backup anyway, chances are we won't have to worry about that. God forbid we put that to the test.

What are the new rules about where a Qb can legally be hit? (Brady not withstanding..)

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

is it also possible the CS didn't announce Geno as the starter, bc in their mind there was nothing to announce? He was the starter last year and they never said otherwise. Outside of the media speculating, there really was no "announcement" to be made.

12. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

The tibia is below the knee which makes it illegal to hit on a QB if I remember correctly (the Brady Rule). Also I'd be surprised if they didn't put a plate in there to aid faster recovery since he had surgery on it, usually with a clean break there is no surgery required you just set the bone and cast it AFAIK, but he did have surgery which leads me to believe the put pins or a plate in there to allow him to come back faster. And even if he got hit there again broken bones usually heal stronger than they were before at the point of the break

13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

That was a good press conference by Gailey. If the coaching staff has decided that Geno as a third year starter with a new coordinator and better weapons could potentially be salvaged than I just hope they are right. It would be the best scenario for the team, though I hope its a salvage and a quick trade, as I dont think he's the long term answer.

14. RevisIsland10

RevisIsland10 Member

Honestly, Hate to admit it but at this point i think our best bet is to give geno one more year as the starter.

Its his third year, usually a breakout year for QBs if they are ever going to develop

This is by FAR the best weapons he has had or the jets in general; Marshall, decker, smith, kerley and Amaro with solid RBs.....decent o-line

If he stinks 3-4 games into the season we can go to fitz

Let's not forget the long line of QBs who had VERY rough couple of seasons, All you have to do is look at the cross-town rivals, ELI was AWFUL his first couple years.

Geno should have sat as well his first year and wasnt ready to step in and play right away. He would have sat if it wasn't for the sanchez injury. Also, Gaileys offense is MUCH better suited for his skill set than MM was. The spread should help him a lot compared to the west coast offense.

By no means am I saying Geno will be successful, but with the weapons we finally have and an offesnse that is better suited toward his skill set I am on board with giving him one last chance at his gig, with that said if he plays poorly the first 4 games or so I wouldnt hesitate to quickly make a move to fitz.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Can't win the lottery if you don't play it.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like the thought process that came to that conclusion. Kudos to whomever came up with it.

Sadly, you're probably right about the latter knowing the NYC media and Jets fans, although it shouldn't be that way. NONE of us (and probably including the media as well) knows how well Geno is learning the offense, playing in practice, or what improvements he has made/is making. In addition, we don't know how Fitz's leg is healing. With regards to Petty, the Jets may have made a decision to never let him be a part of the competition because they don't want to overload him and/or put too much pressure on him, or may see/think that he has too much to work on and learn, and needs to sit for a while. The Jets FO shouldn't allow their fans or the NY-area media to dictate how they handle players or player competition for starting jobs.

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

More likely it gives Bowles a shred of deniability in case Geno stinks/Fitz plays well and they're compelled to go back on their word in August.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that they were "sold" on starting Geno from day one, but just saw that they had little other option. We know that Fitz isn't the long term answer. We're pretty certain that Geno isn't either, but the new CS has to see for themselves, and give him every chance to succeed. It may be that Gailey made this decision and announcement because that's part of how he "handles" QBs to get the best out of them.

If Geno sucks in TC and preseason, I'm sure that they will change their minds and go with Fitz.

19. silentkillah123

silentkillah123 New Member

easy, by allowing chan to make the statement todd's hands are clean. chan is taking one for the team.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I never said there was one but I did say that Geno would be the week one starter,it isn't a surprise to me....he still has upside maybe not a lot a smigin at best but Fitzpatrick has zero and Brcye Petty won't be ready this year baring a miracle.So it comes down to the best of the shitty options and that isn't Ryan Fitzpatrick.Fitzpatrick is just a insurance policy incase Genos diaper needs changing

NYJetsO12 likes this.