Executive Post Mortem .... 35 years & I've lost my mind

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You guys send letters to the team? Holy shit.

Nyjets4eva, SOJAZ and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Fair enough. A.T.D.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't lean on PFF on anything. If that's what you are using as your measuring stick, that's cool, I just don't trust them or rely on anything they offer.

Our OL was worse. Easily after the injuries. The Bears OL looked better than they are because of Fields. That line Isn't good, I don't care what PFF says. I watched some of their games and they aren't very good In pass blocking, they are average at best In run blocking too.

They moved their players around on that line, them getting healthy from last year definitely did help, but, no way are they a top 10 OL. I don't believe that for a second. That OL Is trash. They are bottom tier with us along the OL.

4. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Fields with Hall ,Wilson ,and the tight ends ,plus the picks we would have gotten for 2 Look out . I believe Fields will make Lamar look like a chump . I always believed he was the 2nd best pick in that qb draft

5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

To amplify your point, back in October (before the 1st Pats loss, & right after Breece' injury), there was an article in the NY Post, which had a telling quote from Rob Calabrese... (a little snippet from article)
    The full article here---> https://nypost.com/2022/10/27/breece-hall-injury-puts-more-pressure-on-jets-zach-wilson/

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That's what people are saying now. Just let Zach be Zach and wing the ball. That is, of course, until he has another 4 interception game and people will be screaming that he should be more under control.

NYJetsO12, SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

There's a difference between letting Zach wing the ball unchecked no matter what, and letting him wing the ball but suffer the consequences of his mistakes - like benching him if he stinks it up. Saleh should've pulled Zach in the 3rd quarter of the first Pats game when it was clear he couldn't get it done. That would've been an appropriate and timely consequence. But handcuffing him and not allowing him to make mistakes doesn't drive the lesson home as well as if he can see first hand the results of his poor choices.

This is just one aspect of QB development, and it's clear that MLF and Calabrese didn't have the experience necessary to develop Zach. It was a major failure for the Jets to throw Zach into the fire right away, to not have a competent QB to play instead of him, and to not retain or replace Cavanaugh this season, and of course trying to force him to learn and play a system that isn't really suited to his strengths. On this last point, yes, all rookie QBs have to learn new systems that are usually not what they played in college, but smart teams figure out how to create a system that minimizes the learning curve before demanding that absorb the whole new system.

I just hope the Jets have learned their lesson finally, but I really don't expect they have.

rscherwin and bicketybam like this.
  9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm still wondering if they will continue to stubbornly stick to the schemes (offensive and defensive) next season. They need to be more flexible b/c injuries happen and other teams figure our how to play against your schemes. The Jets need to be more flexible and less predictable on both sides of the ball.

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Favre threw 37 interceptions in the first 29 games he started. Food for thought.

rscherwin and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. westiedog1

Sorry, don't agree with this at all. I remember when Aaron Rogers was drafted, someone asked Brett Favre if he was ready to mentor Rogers. Favre's response was that it wasn't up to him to prepare Rogers, it was up to Rogers to prepare himself. I feel this is the correct tack in developing new QBs coming into the league. It is on them to prepare themselves. I place Zach's failures to this point on him and why I don't give much credence to the mentoring thing. There's the old saying that "you can lead a horse to water......"

Jets69 likes this.
  12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Great point Westie, if it is true that ZW is a workaholic and film junkie, then we may have a bigger issue with him. If the guy is putting in the time that his HC claims and he is "still" this bad.. No amount of coaching or offseason reset is going to help. Just my opinion and hope I am wrong but...

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Yes, it is up to the individual to prepare - as best he can, and with the knowledge he has. And it isn't up to the starting QB to "mentor" him (although sometimes that happens). But it IS up to the CS to help him prepare and teach him the things he doesn't know, and monitor his development and point out where he needs to improve.

If players could mentor and teach themselves they wouldn't need coaches.

rscherwin and burf like this.
  14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I don't get the Woody hate. Honestly...

I really don't think he is the problem at this point. He changed the reporting structure, he gave JD and his coach full autonomy. He is doing what we wanted him to do at this point.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’ve really belabored the point about the organization failing Darnold and Wilson for a number of years in both fronts. We’ve had three other quarterbacks with different skill sets play in the same system and they’ve moved the ball effectively. Keep in mind that includes them having very few reps throughout the year and in camp when Wilson was healthy.

LaFleur has adjusted the systems to fit each of them. Flacco aired the ball out versus the Phins last year and Browns this year. Mike White and Johnson played the checkdown game and the play calls lined up.

Even when Streveler came in, they had him running designed QB draws because his skill set dictated that. So I’m not really understanding all of this organizational support Wilson desperately needs to the point that he’s failed base on anyones doing but his own.

Trainer and westiedog1 like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Saleh and GM Douglas are already committing hari kari by vehemently continuing to endorse their delusional hope for Z Wilson

I really don't get it ..Douglas must have a huge bet in Vegas that ZW takes the Jets to the playoffs next year

They just sound like a pair of used car salesman

I wonder what Offensive mind the team will get to help JV Coach MLF.??..I have a feeling they are getting old Chan G off the couch

17. ColoradoContrails

Just because I've "belabored the point" doesn't mean I'm wrong.

And what a couple of veteran QBs did in a couple of games doesn't mean the Jets have managed the development of their young QBs well.

Consider too, how many people have said regarding other players/positions, "Oh he's young. Give him time". I'm thinking here of Quinnen Williams, but it's been said about other players too. And they were right - going from college to the NFL, even for All Americans is a big jump and it takes time to adjust. And yet, so many of these same people don't give a young QB that same slack, even though QB is THE hardest position in all of sports to master. And the team has a responsibility to do whatever they can to aid in that development. IMO the Jets haven't done this regarding their young QBs.

Borat likes this.
  18. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

+1

You can write executive letters in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first. This is the real, and only solution to the Johnson problem. Don't go to the games and don't buy anything Jets related. I used to go to Camp at Hofstra and go inside the Jet shop tent and walk out with hundreds of dollars worth of Jet stuff every Summer. I would leave Camp with tons of merchandise and tons of hope only to be squashed usually by Oct 1. I have not bought one single Jet related item in years, in fact, any Jets shirts that I do have I wear inside out so as not to associate myself with the embarassment they are.

rscherwin and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe Favre didn't want to mentor Rogers. The fact is that Rogers got a lot of training from coaches while on the Packers before he ever started.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. westiedog1

Of course he did. He sat for three years before he took over as starter. Does all that training guarantee success? How do we know Wilson hasn't gotten a lot of training from the coaches in the 2 years he's been here? We look at the result and say the fault can't be Wilson, it must be because the coaching is bad. Well, it could be because Wilson is bad.