ESPNEWS: Kevan Barlow to the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by deviljets7, Aug 20, 2006.

1. MyFavoriteMartian28

Replacing one PITT RB with another... kinda ironic.

Barlow has a lot of carries left in him and considering he played behind one of the worst O-lines in football the last couple years during multiple coaching changes I would say there has to be some untapped potential there. Hopefully.

So we gave up an undisclosed draft pick... I wonder how high it could possibly go... maybe its the kind of trade where its a 4th rounder, unless he goes over 1200 yards then it becomes a 3rd. I can't imagine we overspent.

2. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

http://www.49ersparadise.com/

Apparently, those talks with the Jets got serious in a hurry.

The 49ers announced just minutes ago that RB Kevan Barlow has been traded to the Jets for an undisclosed 2007 draft pick. Coach Mike Nolan has already spoken with Barlow. He has to pass a physical for the trade to become official.

"This is a great opportunity for Kevan because of New York's need at running back," Nolan said in a statement released through the team. "Kevan has been committed to our program and done well. With the depth at running back we felt we could make this move."

It had become apparent that Frank Gore had outperformed Barlow during training camp. Gore was edging into position to be the starter, but because of his injury history it could be understood why the 49ers were not eager to trade Barlow. But the 49ers had pretty good depth behind Barlow, with backup Maurice Hicks, and third-down backs Michael Robinson and Terry Jackson.

Nolan had been adamant throughout the week that there had been no serious talks with the Jets about trading Barlow. When last asked about the possible trade on Friday, Nolan said it never got to the point where an offer was made.

"They did not offer anything," Nolan said. "We talked about that and some other players at positions which were typically new. There was absolutely no serious offer made."

Earlier in the week, Nolan called Barlow into his office when the rumors started growing some legs. When Barlow was asked if he was worried he might be next after seeing so many other trades go down, he bristled.

"I ain't going to comment on that question," he said. "No comment on that. I just told you I ain't worried about it. I'm not worried about it, know what I mean? Coach (Mike) Nolan told me, he told you. I'm not worried about being traded. I'm here. ... I hope."

Nolan was asked if he reassured Barlow that he will be with the 49ers when the season started.

"No, I just reassured him I'm not having any communication," Nolan said. "But I wouldn't reassure anybody they'll be with this team right now."

3. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

4. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about his age either. If he performs well in 2006, we likely won't grab an elite back in the draft, and we'll be stuck with a RB pushing 30 in 2007.

5. MyFavoriteMartian28

I think (as another poster mentioned earlier in this thread) we have enough spare parts right now to get some draft picks back... lets say we gave up a 3rd rounder to get Barlow, maybe we can get a 3rd in return for JMac and Strait or something...

6. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

7. PinPointPenning10

I found this:

http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=5331

The majority don't seem thrilled but happy that Gore will get to play now, some are thrilled Barlow's gone some are disappointed.

8. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

this is a fucking stupid move

9. PinPointPenning10

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, you never find an established runningback available at this time of year. The hit list of possible pickups basically was: Thomas Jones, Chris Brown, Travis Henry, Kevan Barlow, TJ Duckett and Lee Suggs. The first three backs on the list all came off because of injury concerns (either their concerns or others) and we got number 4. Not a bad pickup.

Deuce McAllister and Michael Turner were both pipedreams attached to way too much compensation and there was really nobody else to get.

11. MyFavoriteMartian28

I think our FO is now smart enough to know that you use the draft for depth... after this offseason I think we have added enough young guys to groom into starting roles for next year and we will have enough salary cap to sign some other veterans next summer so we will be in a position where we can spend a top pick on RB even if we have Barlow and Leon Washington on the roster still. I don't think Blaylock or Cedric will be around in 2007.

12. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Seeing how Mangini puts a premium on draft picks, I'm sure he wouldn't have given up too high of a pick. 4th rounder would be somewhat iffy, 5th round on would be ideal.

EDIT: Thanks for the Niners' forum links.

#32 jetsaholic1094, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

"I ain't going to comment on that question," he said. "No comment on that. I just told you I ain't worried about it. I'm not worried about it, know what I mean? Coach (Mike) Nolan told me, he told you. I'm not worried about being traded. I'm here. ... I hope."

Good vocabulary atleast. :)

14. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

He's 27...he's pretty much in his prime now

15. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Jets acquired running back Kevan Barlow from the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday for an undisclosed draft pick in 2007, their second attempt in a week to shore up the position.

The deal is contingent on Barlow passing a physical.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Last Monday, the Jets traded for Browns running back Lee Suggs, hoping to get help with Curtis Martin out. But Suggs failed his physical Tuesday and the deal was voided. The Jets are in desperate need of help at running back. Martin has been on the physically-unable-to-perform list since training camp opened with a lingering knee injury.

Though the 33-year-old Martin hopes to play again, his future is uncertain. The Jets have refused to disclose when Martin could return. Without him, the Jets have relied on Derrick Blaylock, Cedric Houston and rookie Leon Washington. The three played well in their preseason game Friday against Washington.

Blaylock ran for 46 yards on 10 carries, while Houston had 53 yards on 14 carries.

"We have been impressed with Kevan's production in both the running and passing game," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "We feel Kevan will complement our running back group, and he will come in and compete for playing time."

The 6-foot-1, 234-pound Barlow has 3,614 yards and 24 touchdowns in his career.

"This is a great opportunity for Kevan because of New York's need at running back," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "Kevan has been committed to our program and done well. With the depth at running back we felt we could make this move."

Martin, the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher, underwent surgery on his right knee in December. He has yet to practice, and reports have said he has a "bone on bone" condition in his knee.

Still, Martin has been an ironman his entire career, known as much for his running as his ability to play through pain. When he went out last season, he broke a string of 119 consecutive regular-season starts and ended his streak of 10 straight 1,000-yard seasons to start a career, a record he shares with Barry Sanders.

Barlow's departure officially hands the 49ers' starting job to second-year running back Frank Gore, who already was well on his way to winning it outright. Gore, San Francisco's leading rusher last year with 608 yards, seemed to be trouncing the sixth-year pro in training-camp competition.

Barlow was the 49ers' third-round pick in 2001, and he shared playing time with Garrison Hearst for three moderately successful seasons. He gained a career-best 1,024 yards in 2003 and seemed poised to become a topflight running back.

He became the full-time starter after Hearst's departure in 2004, but seemed unsuited for the pressure and workload. Running skittishly behind San Francisco's terrible offensive line during a 2-14 season, Barlow managed 822 yards -- just 3.4 yards per carry, two-thirds of his 2003 average -- and complained about his lack of support.

Barlow's running style can be hesitant when the former Pitt star doesn't feel confident -- and his temperament also has been questioned several times in his career.

Most notably, he had a long-running feud with fullback Fred Beasley, nearly coming to blows with his top blocker during a meeting because he apparently felt Beasley favored Hearst, the fullback's best friend. Barlow even moved his locker across the 49ers' training complex to a spot among the defensive backs, though he moved back when the players quashed their feud last season.

Barlow had another dismal year in 2005, managing just 581 yards with a career-low 3.3 yards per carry -- 1.5 yards fewer than Gore -- while running behind an injury-plagued line for the NFL's worst offense. Gore even overtook Barlow for the club lead in yards rushing late in the season while Barlow nursed an injury.

When Nolan confirmed rumors of the Jets' discussions with San Francisco last week, Barlow claimed he wasn't worried about losing his job to Gore -- but he was heard singing along to "New York, New York" on his iPod a few days later. report.

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I could see getting a 4th or 5th round pick for Strait from Cleveland, and a 3rd round pick from the Chiefs to reunite McCareins with Herm and Dinger, not to mention the current Chiefs WR core is a joke.

17. jetglass

jetglass New Member

This is a solid move. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but this is better than giving up JMAC for duckett. McCareins had a good year with Chad two years ago and we all know he had a terrible season last year. Buit who didn't? I am willing to give anyone a pass for last year's season.

18. PinPointPenning10

There are a couple posted above. :beer:

19. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

A good deal of them are relieved they got his contract off the team. Anyone know just how much he was making, and how it affects us?

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member