ESPNEWS: Kevan Barlow to the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by deviljets7, Aug 20, 2006.

1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I just spit coffee all over my monitor.

John Abraham and "consistency" don't belong in the same sentence, paragraph, page or book.

You're serious?

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

While Barlow is an definitely an upgrade, he isn't worth a 4th rd pick to the JETS considering their current situation (A barlow caliber back will not propel them to being a "good" team this year) My concern with him is that he never lived up to his "potential" and is being replaced by a dude who's been operated on more that the bionic man, so............

not to mention we had our annual FF draft party Saturday night and I drafted Cedric Houston in the 10th rd :mad: :drunk:

3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

We still have 4 first day picks, I'm not losing sleep over a fourth rounder. Yes they're important but we have nobody at RB right now. Barlow is not amazing but he's still better than what we currently have. It seems the people who are getting upset over the pick are the ones who are ready to just forfeit this season, and are already focusing on next year's draft. We've got a whole season to play still, and if the team needs to deal a 4th rounder to improve a unit, I'm not going to cry over it. It's not the end of the world.

4. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

gore has had two ACL surgeries, no? the same as Jamal Lewis prior to his 2000 yd season

5. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

sometimes a new location and a fresh start will change that

6. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

IMO we don't have the team capable of making a strong playoff push this year. I'm not saying I hope the team will lose but I don't want to leverage our present with the building blocks of our future. This is a short term, bradway-esque move, and we say how that worked out right?

Still, on the bright side you are right that he should be an upgrade at Running Back, and IF Clemens ever does play this season it would be nice to have a decent running game. He is also under contract for a few years so if he does break out we don't have to sign him to a large contract.

In my mind this deal pales in comparison to the suggs deal b/c we didn't lose a draft pick, while receiving a player with more upside then the guys currently on the roster. Still, if he ends up with 1200 yard season the pick would be justified (it would probably jump to a 3rd rounder then too O_O)

I think I'm jumping the gun a bit, since no one even knows what pick we gave up for the guy, so I'll stop speculating and just hope Barlow brings his A game this year.

7. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Don't bet on it. He looked good Saturday night.

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

If it was Bradway, it would have been a 2nd rounder. :lol:

But yeah, I just can't get too upset about this. We needed help and we got it at a fair price IMO. Trading Strait would have been more fair for us, but it would have been a very lopsided deal. Barlow is much more accomplished than Strait is.

9. MawaesDaMan

MawaesDaMan New Member

I am ok with this. I like that we keep Strait, secondary depth is great. I would have been ok with letting go of JMac, I had high hopes for him, but his big play ability, which is what we were initially sold on when we traded for him, some silly high YPC number, has never come back due to our lack of throwing the ball deep effectively, so a fourth or later for Barlow, is ok in my mind. Not a great trade, but he picks up the blitz well and is serviceable. I am not impressed with Blaylcok at all, I wish he would be the odd man out if there is one, but I know it makes sense to keep him this year. He runs like he is Mike Alstott, its no wonder why he gets injured a fair bit. Everybody needs a few RBs these days. I am a little surprised that SF gave him up actually, since Gore is never 100% healthy, and I dont think the rest of their backfield is anything special. We shall see. This could end up blah, could play out very well. Isnt Barlow the guy who spends a lot of his free time in prisons trying to rehab inmates or something. I thought he was the feature of an ESPN piece once for that.

10. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

We can't really judge the guy by his recent past. The 9ers have been dreadful. He's capable of being a solid back as long as some holes can be eeked out for him.

I also trust this regime with who they picks. So far they've made some really fantastic aquisitions.

11. Youth Is Served

Youth Is Served New Member

For the right price this trade is a very good trade. Barlow had absolutely no O-LINE to run behind in San Fran. Last year he had Alex Smith and Brandon Lloyd as the only two to take pressure off him. Plus they were playing from behind the entire season. Barlow didnt get a fair shot due to the fact the 49ers had nothing to help him.

Barlow on a new team can be dangerous. He had bad ties in San Fran over the years and with a no non sense coach here. We just might end up getting a good RB for the next few years for dirt.

If he doesnt turn out to become anything then we lost a late draft pick.

Low Risk High Reward

Youth?

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think Barlow will be a good player in this system.

Look for his jersey in the Jets tent at next year's training camp.

2K06™

13. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Am just glad we got a experienced back in here now to help out the passing game. Will Barlow be the answer? probably not but he is as good as it gets in terms of a "stopgap". I just hope it doens't take him long to get adjusted to the team. Any thoughts on what his fantasy value is now?

14. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

It better be no more than a 7th rounder...

15. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

If it is a 4th rounder, I'm okay with that. I wish we could have gotten Duckett to help with that end zone rush, but Barlow is certainly a talented back.

16. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Ir prob had to do with blocking. We need all the help we can get with chad

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I'd rather have gotten Duckett than Barlow. But I was also one that was content with sticking to our guns. Then again I have no problem saying goodbye to Houston or Blaylock. Cause either way I still believe Barlow is better than them.

Im not overly excited about this trade although it will be good to stop hearing rumors now. 4th rd pick is fine.

Do I like the reports on his attitude? No........
    Do I like the fact he was about to lose his job to a walking injury? No......
    Does he sound like a "Mangini Guy"? No (then again im frankly sick with the term as if every coach doesnt want hard working smart players.)

But, hes more proven than anyone else on this team. And playing behind SF's line in their recent 2 yr decline is enough to warrant his stat dropoff to me.
    I dont like the fact he's coming off a scope but we now have a RB who at least knows what its like to start in the league.

What I understand though is it provides us with actual experience and depth at RB. But I hope they dont expect him to be our RB of the future.

18. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh get the heck outta here, 7th rounder. Teams don't give you starting calibar rb's for a 7th rounder, stop with that crap.

19. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Jets | Team Reportedly surrendered a fourth-round pick for Barlow
    Mon, 21 Aug 2006 05:25:31 -0700

The New York Daily News reports the New York Jets reportedly traded a fourth-round pick in the 2007 NFL draft to the San Francisco 49ers for RB Kevan Barlow.

20. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

i would had done duckett for a 3rd rounder or mccarriens. but i like this trade, he makes the offense decent