ESPN: Top 4 OL evaluations and how they fit

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

a lot of the negatives about Thomas I hear have come from this board which has given me pause because I think he'll be there when at 11. And to be clear, some of brought up valid concerns.

Where are the scouting report on Becton? This is starting to scare me. No one talked about this guy much until the combine now everyone loves him. How many times are we gonna fall for that?? Seriously I'm done with those players. I said the same thing last year in the Williams vs Josh Allen debates. Give me the guys with proven track records, who put it on tape for multiple seasons.
    Everyone talks about Bectons athleticism which is the same thing I hear about Fant. I don't want a line based off potential. He sounds like Fant Jr and i don't even want the original Fant.
    No thank you.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I feel like Thomas is the Ferguson of this draft. He has the tape to justify his prospect status, his play gets the job done even if it's not spectacular, and he has been durable throughout his college career. I honestly don't remember what our OL scheme was when we took Brick in '06.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

In all Honesty, the top 4 OTs are all very good, none are great. They all may be starting LT/RTs but don't expect all-pro players from this group. Becton scares me the most, fast riser and he will have to watch his weight in the NFL or his career will be short. None will be really good starters from day one, there will be bumps in the road. Remember, DBrick had a rough 1st year till he gained some weight and got use to the speed of the NFL. Some were calling him aa bust in year one.

I have 7 players rated higher than the 1st OT rated at # 8. I have Wills going to AZ with their pick, to protect the QB's blindside, as he did at Bama. People will over draft OT & QB on need and will pass up a few outstanding defensive players.

FWIW, I've been following the draft for over 3 decades and I've never seen the confusion on rating these top 4 OT's, it's all over the place. Which tells me they are not the strongest group and are slightly overrated.

If we trade down into late Rd 1, I love Ezra Cleveland, I doubt he will make it to the Jet's second rounder. Cleveland is very close in talent to the top 4. Good fit to Gase's Zone Blocking scheme.

#23 WW85, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand. Becton started in 2018 and was only meh. The reports I've read said that he was a little lazy and didn't work that hard. He got a new HC before the 2019 season, and worked harder, and played a lot better. His athleticism and speed at his size is nothing short of amazing. The NFL player I have seen him compared with is Bryant McKinnie, the Viking great OT. If Becton works hard, keeps his weight under control and refines his technique, he has the talent to be on the same level as McKinney. He has the highest ceiling, but the lowest floor of the top 4 OTs. He got by in college because he was bigger and stronger than any of the defensive players he played against, is so big, it's hard to get around him, especially with his long arms. I fear that like many players who had that advantage in college, he will think he can get by on his natural ability alone in the NFL and won't work to improve, and may eat himself out of the league. If the Jets draft him, I hope they have spoken with him and checked his character and work ethic out thoroughly. He is still big and talented enough that even if he is lazy, he could still be at least a decent starting OT. If he works to be the best he can, then the sky is the limit.

Following are some scouting reports for you.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mekhi-becton?id=32194245-4381-4547-3cf4-9d445d134d9a

Height: 6'7"
    Weight: 364 lbs.
    Arm Length: 35 5/8
    Hands: 10 3/4"
    40 Yard Dash: 5.1 seconds
    Bench Press: 23 reps (which is pretty darned good for someone with such long arms)

Overview
    Enormous frame complemented by surprisingly nimble feet and functional athleticism to handle either tackle spot. Becton's combination of movement and force should allow him to fit easily into all running schemes, but he needs to play with better patience in order to control and redirect all that mass into centered blocks in both run and pass. His technique and set-up are better than expected in pass pro, while his size and length allow him to recover and redirect both inside and outside rushes. With all really big prospects, weight and quickness will be concerns, but Becton's areas of concern are correctable or manageable if he's disciplined enough to prioritize them. He has the potential to be a good starter on either side, but the weight creates an obvious low-floor scenario.

Strengths
    • Absolute giant with dense, proportional frame
    • Possesses rare 7-foot wingspan
    • Booming upper-body power blasts kick-out targets off their feet
    • Athletic enough to make his outside zone blocks
    • Fits up and runs feet to wash away defenders on lateral blocks
    • Potential to mash what's in front with more work
    • Mass can finish what the technique doesn't
    • Inside-out pass sets are well-balanced and smooth
    • Well-positioned to chunk hands during slide
    • Squeezes down to guard's hip when outside rush vacates
    • Adequate redirect to protect inside post
    • Long arms allow for emergency recovery
    • Well-positioned to chunk hands during pass set

Weaknesses
    • Weight could become a major issue without discipline
    • Opens outside half too early in pass sets
    • Throws himself off-balance when loading up punch
    • Natural quickness limitations require above-average awareness of blitz/twists
    • Unable to respond timely to cross-face stunts
    • High hands diminish leverage at point of attack
    • Needs better patience/control as positional blocker
    • Allows himself to work too far ahead of the landmark
    • Needs to get length involved in the block sooner
    • Needs to cinch and control rather than shoving down blocks/kick-outs

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/mekhi-becton/WccGuYhcMG

Crabbs
    Pass Sets - He's smooth! Appreciate how clean his feet are. Rare ability to reach his back foot on drive catch and shows really nice cadence to not overset versus speed off the edge. Shows good awareness of angles to keep his passer secure prior to contact.

Length/Extension - All the reach in the world. His punch and extension will uproot defenders and physically uproot them a few yards at a time. Pretty awesome to watch him throw hands/create space instantly with upper body power. Plenty of length to extend and run rushers past the QB.

Balance - Appreciate how he doesn't fold at the waist to chase in space. He's a bit high hipped but his dynamic lower half does well to reach and catch his momentum to prevent him from drifting. Shows good angular adjustments on the move.

Hand Technique - His punches can be a bit wild but boy are they effective. He's got probably the heaviest hands in the class, although Andrew Thomas' are cleaner. If he can convert more blows to sustained hand fits, he's going to whitewash DEs out in the run game with consistency.

Power at POA - Awesome power. Top shelf strength throughout his entire frame and unlike most big guys at this stage, he's got mobility to apply it in lateral or angular situations where his whole frame isn't aligned. He's terrific at the point of attack to create space.

Football IQ - He gets away with some overly ambitious punches due to his raw power and his sense of continuing to work up the field for work versus stopping to peel eyes back and look for where to go can improve. But the arrow here is pointing firmly up. Strong development in 2019.

Functional Athleticism - Folks this big aren't supposed to move this well. He's so fluid for a big man and as a result he'll gear down and pick off scraping LBs with ease. Have seen him work cutoff on a 1T from the backside — which is insane. The redirectional ability he displays is good for anyone.

Anchor Ability - Strong as an ox. He's so naturally strong and with the reach he has, he rarely gives up his chest and allows bodies into his frame. Even when he does, core strength and lower body power eat up most comers and he shows a good late anchor.

Flexibility - Rare mobility through his hips and shows plenty of hinge laterally to play with forcible power on turnout blocks and when looking to long-arm edge setters out from a gap. He's got good range of motion through his hips on pass sets to play with sufficient cadence.

Competitive Toughness - Love his effort level. He's working the backside with assertiveness, he's getting out onto the second level and effectively breaking down linebackers and sticking on them. He's absolutely nasty in the trenches if you keep him in tight to the LOS.

---

Best Trait - Power at POA

Worst Trait - Punch Placement Consistency

Best Film - Syracuse (2019)

Worst Film - Boston College (2019)

Red Flags - None

Summary - Mekhi Becton projects as a starting left tackle at the NFL level — and a damn good one. Becton has all the length and functional power in the world, pairing it with a rare blend of flexibility and size. Becton is a brawler in the run game and his pure size overwhelms many pass rushers off the edge. There are still some technique consistencies to still be ironed out but generally speaking the ceiling here is sky high and there's a foundation that should allow early production at LT.

Reid
    Background: Becton has always been known as the “big kid” because of his size not matching his age. At 10 years old, he began to play youth football, but his mother , Semone Becton, was forced to carry his birth certificate like her drivers license because many opposing teams complained that her son was not of age because of his abnormal size. A three-year starter at Highland Springs High School (VA), it took awhile for his athleticism to catch up with his height. Just prior to entering high school, he went through a five inch growth spurt of where he went from being 6-foot tall to now standing at nearly 6-foot-5.

A two-sport athlete (basketball), Becton also received multiple offers to play both sports. With his heart and a promising future remaining in football, he turned into a consistent blind side protector for the Springers program. As the highlight player and top prospect in the state, he helped lead the school to two consecutive Class 5A state titles (2015 and 2016).

After much speculation that he would further his career at Virginia, he opted to not join the Cavaliers, and instead signed with Louisville. Becton became the first Virginia-born player on the Cardinals roster since 2011. The coaching staff showed no hesitancy with putting their highly touted freshman into the starting lineup as he started in 10 of the 12 contests that he participated in. He suffered an undisclosed injury that was only labeled as an “upper body” injury that forced him to miss one game.

Coming off of a successful freshman season, he would start all 13 games as a sophomore, but struggled to find his way because of discomfort and switching sides within drives. Becton started all 13 games as the teams left tackle during his junior year. A first-team All-ACC selection, he proved his worth as the teams shadow at left tackle.

Scheme Fit: Man/Power Blocking

Round Projection: Mid 1st-Round

Positives (+)

Edge Exploiter: On perimeter running concepts when asked to create a soft edge, he is outstanding at using his arm length and devastating power to run defensive ends to the sideline – creating running lanes on his inside hip. Becton makes defenders pay for wide alignments as a run blocker as a result. Many runs were successful when he was asked to perform in this role. In a new offense (2019), he was often asked to cut block on the backside, but he has the necessary speed in order to seal off the oppositions without having to do the performed tasks.

Arm Length/Force: Lengthy and beefy arms that he utilizes to his full advantage. Not only is he able to show off his arm length, but he has overbearing power behind his reach as well. Becton makes it difficult for edge rushers to get inside of him despite it being such a large target area. He takes tremendous pride in being a run blocker as he loves to lean on defenders to generate considerable amounts of movement. Inconsistent, but he can pack a powerful punch behind his hands, which leads to a shock deliverance to the bodies of the opposition. Built like an oak tree, his presence, and physique alone strikes doubt into many matchups.

Commitment: Becton was challenged by the new coaching staff and played at a lighter weight during the 2019 season. It paid off as he looked lighter on his feet. Becton contains quick and efficient pass sets for his size, plus his hand timing was fiery. His second level climbs were more athletic while his finishing abilities remained consistent as they have been since the earlier years of his tenure.

Negatives (–)

Patty-Cake Pass Pro Punch: There are instances of where he can destroy rushers quickly with his hands, but those times come and go way too often. Stretches of games involve him being hesitant with his hands and as a result, defenders are able to slide off of his hands or avoid them easily. Extending and being forceful with intent to punish needs to be seen more often instead of thinking his arms/hands alone will be enough to get the job done.

Leverage Battle: Even though he’s continued to shed weight, he’s hardly ever going to win many leverage battles. His pad level remains constant and there are times where he can play so high that defenders are able to avoid him way too easily. Bending at the knees and playing with a marginal amount of body lean/bend are continued battles that he’ll have to fight through during his development until they become habits.

Body Weight Fluctuation: His weight overall has been sporadic during his career, but the team’s main focus was to drop his overall body fat count, which has declined tremendously since his arrival. Continuing to keep Becton in proper shape and making sure that he maintains that could be a yearly battle that his drafted team may face. If able to sustain his lowered body fat, it will continue to help his already impressive athleticism.

Projection:

In what seemed like a prospect that came out of nowhere, Becton announced his presence to the college football world last season. A part of a scheme that forced him to switch sides based on the strength and direction of play calls prior to last season, he settled into his own during his junior year. A mountainous sized offensive tackle, the light seemed to switch on for Becton following the season opener against Notre Dame. With Herculean type of strength, Becton is able to bully defenders around and make them look as if they were never there.

The living definition of a “people mover”, he is able to uproot first and second level defenders with ease and create massive indentations in defensive structures. Becton still is developing as a pass protector and the same type of violence shown as a run defender isn’t nearly as forceful when punching with his hands, but because of his presence and possibly with his best football ahead of him, he should eventually become a top-20 selection with high upside in a man/gap/power based blocking scheme.

6. NCJetsfan

Marino
    PROS: Devastating power and it wasn’t often a fair fight in college. Has the raw power needed to uproot defensive linemen and blast them out of their run fit. Delivers overwhelming blows that stun pads which he combines with leg drive to widen gaps a tractor trailer could get through sideways. Surprising ability to work his upper and lower body in concert to maximize his power while rolling his hips through contact. Has ridiculous reach which gives him more margin for error with some of his strike placement inconsistency. Has more footspeed and lateral mobility than expected for his size. Also has more body control and balance than ever expected for a man of his size. Fairly consistent and efficient reaching his set points in pass protection which enables him to mirror and set up roadblocks around the arc. Does well to remain in control and not chase or fold at the waste. Takes good angles when releasing in space and he reaches his landmarks more frequently that I thought he would - another area where his reach helps him fulfill assignments. Anchor is powerful in pass pro. Complements his massive frame and exceptional functional strength with a nasty, competitive and tenacious demeanor.

CONS: He’s massive and has had past struggles with weight. Needs to be careful and stay in control of that. Strike placement can be on the erratic side. Technique will become way more important at the NFL level where he won’t simply be able to bully dudes, but I am encouraged by what he displayed on tape in 2019.

BEST TRAIT - Power

WORST TRAIT - Strike Placement

RED FLAGS - Weight Management

NFL COMP - Orlando Brown

A three-year starter at Louisville, Becton blossomed under the new coaching staff in 2019. A massive man, Becton has the play strength expected for a man of his stature which he combines with a maulers mentality that leads to gaping holes in the run game. In pass protection, Becton has smoother feet than expected and tremendous length that helps him maintain the width of the pocket. It’s surprising to see him operate under such smooth body control and balance given his measurables. He breaks all the stereotypes for blockers of his size. If Becton can maintain his weight and a polish up his technique, he has a bright future as a starting left tackle in the NFL. He’s an overall rare dude.

Harris

• Mekhi has aligned at both LT and RT for the Cardinal spread offense throughout his career. He has rare athleticism for a young man his size. In the run game, he is strong at the point of attack. He has good initial quickness out of his stance but struggles at times to get to backside cutoff when a defender is aligned inside. He doesn’t bend exceptionally well, so he typically doesn’t get enough leverage to get good vertical push. However, he does a very good job climbing to the second level. He doesn’t always catch more athletic moving defenders at the second level but demonstrates good competitiveness to pursue. In the passing game he is very good. He has rare length on the perimeter. He demonstrates some pop in his hands on his punch, however he can over extend at times. His technique may be a step behind his athletic prowess and physically imposing frame. He demonstrates good foot quickness in his set and surprisingly good lateral agility to redirect on counters and inside moves. He demonstrates good balance and agility for such a massive young man. He also has good anticipatory instincts and generally does a good job of keeping his eyes in the right place with regards to twists, stunts and games. In the NFL, he is a year 1 starter at LT. This player is a prime candidate to ascend with pro coaching and ultimately improving the consistency of his technique. He’s a young man and is already over 360 pounds. As a result, if he is not careful and disciplined with his diet, his weight could fluctuate as his metabolism slows down. He’s probably best suited to play RT in the NFL and has experience starting at both, giving this player has true swing ability.

Updated: 03/22/2020

7. NCJetsfan

What experts are saying
    Todd McShay, ESPN: "Linemen weighing in at 364 pounds aren’t supposed to run 5.10-second 40 times. Becton has versatility and power, and he obviously moves extremely well for his massive 6-7 frame."
    Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Media: "To me, Mekhi Becton is a freak, from Louisville, an absolute freak. I'm not in the business of trading off freaks at a need position. He's going to be that guy for the next 10 to 12 years to protect your franchise quarterback. He's so big, so long, so athletic, even when he is not perfect, it doesn't matter because nobody can get through him. He's 6'7", 370 pounds. You just don't see guys like that come around very often."

From a 49er site:

Private offensive line evaluator and coach Duke Manyweather worked with the Louisville product prior to the NFL Scouting Combine and has been very impressed with what he has seen from Becton.

“Becton is just something special and something out of this world,” Manyweather told NBC Sports Bay Area. “With being just under 6’8 and 360 with his mobility, explosiveness and strength, power, ability to change directions. And then on top of that he’s nasty. He’s physical, he works hard, he’s strong.

“You can’t really put him in a box because we’ve seen nothing like him. He has that old school size of like Jonathan Ogden and Orlando Pace, with this new school athleticism of these freak athletes. If he stays healthy, we are talking about a guy that could potentially be a generational type of Hall of Fame guy.”

Not only is Becton’s size and athleticism a huge advantage, but his knowledge of outside zone schemes makes him even more attractive for the 49ers. He could seamlessly slide in and quickly solidify the left side of the offensive line for the foreseeable future.

“One of the guys that has the best tape in outside zone is Becton,” Manyweather said. “Louisville ran a ton of outside zone and play-action with a lot of the things that Shanahan does.

“They ran an offense very similar to what the 49ers run. If you look at his tape, you will see almost everything that the 49ers would want a tackle to do. He was also left on an island a lot to pass protect.”

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Count me in the anti-Becton group. I think there are too many "if's" surrounding his game. He feels like more of a project than the other 3 OT's and I don't like taking big projects at 11. I really like Wills, I think he and Wirfs are the top 2 OT's followed by Thomas (3a) and Becton (3b).

I would probably take any of them at 11, but if Wills or Wirfs are already gone (highly likely) then I can see there being serious discussion between Thomas, Becton, Lamb, and Jeudy (assuming they're all there).

WW85 and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So we’ve met with.... everyone.

Jedi mind tricks and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Becton is the one I’m hoping doesn’t make it to 11. He’s the type I don’t want the Jets to take but I don’t want them to pass on either.

The closer we get to draft the more I hope either the Jets take best WR available at 11 or trade down and take either Josh Jones or Cleveland.

11. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Bector might be the next Orlando pace.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Welp be might be there at 11. Unfortunately.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Thank you for putting this info out there

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Are there pictures with him in a gas mask while inhaling?

All joking aside, that’s a serous red flag, I did read that he explained it to the scouts.

15. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Since we're talking about o-line fits and since the possibility of trading down has been brought up, which interior o-linemen project as good fits and projected to be 1st/2nd rounders?