ESPN: Signs Point to Rex Ryan Returning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

True, but Rex needs to coach with urgency next season. It also puts Idzik on the hot seat to deliver players for a winning 2014.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

please can you link me to your source for stating its a documented fact that Woody would not allow anyone to fire Rex?

3. Mitch_Dumstein

This

Tear up his current deal and replace it with a 3 year new contract covering 14-16.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That's pretty funny.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No Mitch no.

I don't really care about Rex's feelings. 1 year extension and fight for your job.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Not This. Based on what? 3 years of no playoffs? Completely neglecting the offensive side of the ball?

You only base an extension, at this point, on one thing: Results on the field and Ryan isn't getting them out of his team. So what if he goes 8-8 this year? It still means no playoffs and another .500 season. That's nothing to be excited about. So they exceeded expectations from an awful team to just a below average shitty team. Whoop de fuckin doo!!!

All the other tertiary BS about the media is garbage. Wins/Losses are all Ryan should be judged by next year. He deserves nothing past 2014 at this point.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

not the argument. how many new GM's keep the coaches? you have already claimed that most do not, so now, by the basis of your own argument, the amount of GM's who keep coaches, but only for one year, is likely so small that there is no meaningful conclusion to draw from it since it is such a rare occurance.

the reality is coaches get fired for not performing. new GM's are brought into situations when the team, and thus the coach, is not performing, and that is why coaches get fired along with the hire of a new GM -- because they haven't performed.

not simply because the new GM wants their own coach. by that logic you would have to argue if the 49ers or Patriots hired a new GM, that GM would fire Bill Belichik and Jim Harbaugh because they aren't the new GM's hire. that is an asinine argument.

once you acknowledge that is an asinine argument, then you inherently have to conclude that being their own hire isn't the primary reason why a coach is fired, and thus you have to start looking at the situations why they are fired. that is because the new GM believes the coach has not performed.

it is hard to argue that Rex has not performed this season, especially if they finish 8-8 with this roster, and thus it is hard to claim Idzik would not want to keep him depsite the fact that Rex over achieved with this team.

8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Poorly prepared? Didn't you realize they lost in Buffalo because Rex brought them them to Dave & Busters the night before? I mean, all of the sports press stated that. :wink:

9. JetBlue

I think that is pretty obvious that Woody kept Rex to coach the team this year, and thus any GM hired was not going to be hiring a new coach for 2013.

what this imbecile is interpreting that as is that the new GM can never fire Rex, and only Woody can, and so if Rex is staying it is Woody's decision and the GM is powerless, and that is why other candidates didn't want the job.

that is blatantly false. Idzik was hired knowing that Rex was his coach for 2013 but could fire him after the season if the team did not perform. so if Rex is retained it is an Idzik decision who has the power to fire him if he likes. Woody is likely in agreement, and even a proponent of the decision, but it does not indicate that Idzik is not the decision maker just because Woody wanted to give Rex the 2013 season to prove himself.

10. Mitch_Dumstein

Deserves five based on being a terrifc HC but three is the right number at this time. Hopefully the staff stays intact other than Kotwica leaving for the USMA job. it leaves Mr Idzik.free to focus on finishing the cleanup.of the Tanny cap mess by waiving Holmes and Sanchez, restructuring Cro and resigning Howard and a few others at the end of their deals

And then get ready for FA and the 11-12 player draft

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Let Ryan return next year without an extension. Add some weapons and let's see what happens. If Ryan gets the team to the playoffs. Then he should stay.

13. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Jets, Jets

He is under contract. Story lines in the papers don't bother the players and Rex has to prove he is a head coach. This nonsense about needing more years is newspaper and talk show noise. Idzik needs to see growth from Rex. Does he want to be a head coach or a d. coordinator? If he shows he understands what the role of an HC is he will be renewed. It's that simple.

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I agree it makes sense that Woody wanted to keep Rex for 2013 (at least) I was just picking up on the assertion he was making that it was a "documented fact" that Rex wasn't going anywhere because I don't recall Woody ever coming out and making any such statement.

I also agree that it is nonsense to assert that other, better, GM candidates turned the job down because they were going to have to work with Rex for 2013 - I would imagine most GM candidates would welcome it as it effectively gives them a second bite of the honeymoon period in 2014 if they feel Rex wasn't the right man for the job.

15. Mitch_Dumstein

Looking forward to the extension announcement as early as tonight and to three more years (at least) as HC of the NYJ

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

17. JetBlue

18. Mitch_Dumstein

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Jets, Jets

I think the last few posts are on the right track. Idzik was a lot smarter than all the pundits. He evaluated Rex and got another year to see the talent. Now he can tell the coach what he wants from an HC for the Jets. Well played.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You wouldn't be bitter unless the truth makes you bitter. You'd just change your viewpoint to the polar opposite anyway. I guarantee you that if Rex were to get fired you'd start talking shit about him and start blowing whoever got hired to replace him.