ESPN: Signs Point to Rex Ryan Returning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Dec 28, 2013.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

They probably would ignore it if Woody didn't have Rex tattooed on his bicep too. But since the players and fans are all clamoring for Rex and he really hasn't done a terribad job this year, it gives Woody enough of an excuse to pull rank on Idzik.

2. NYJFan10

Yeah that's the only thing I don't like about this coming out now. It gives the team license to spit the bit tomorrow.

3. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Active Member

I think everyone in the organization, except for the elite few, all know they are playing for their jobs next season. I would be astonished if they don't show up.
    That being said I personally would like Rex back.

BTW is there no Virtual Vegas for this game ????
    If there is I'm having a hard time finding it.
    Any help would be appreciated.

#83 TheCleaner, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  4. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Hope this is true. It looks like the Texans are going to be getting O'Brien, who is the only person i'd want coaching us next year if it isn't Rex.

5. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i dont see why people are saying this. if anything it would give them more confidence that they can go out and punch the dolphins in the mouth tomorrow. it is a big vote of confidence from the front office and can help solidify the whole 'stick together/fight together' mentality in the locker room.

i really dont see rex as the type to look at this as an excuse not to work, hed probably look at this as an excuse to try harder than ever to prove they are making the right choice.

6. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

This is a relief. Not a lot of coaches are gonna win four playoff games with Mark Sanchez under center.

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Rex and Sanchez still are up there with the most playoff wins since entering the league. I think only the Ravens have more.

8. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

Imagine what he'd do with a competent offense? He's been plagued by turnover prone QB's his entire head coaching career.

9. NYJFan10

A) They haven't handled prosperity 'at all' this season
    B) A big part of their motivation the last couple weeks was to save Rex's job. If it's going to be saved, then are they really going to get jazzed up over knocking out the Fins or finishing .500 in an otherwise meaningless game? I hope so but it didn't help the last time we played them
    C) I'm not saying Rex would lay down, the team might though

10. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

If this is true part of me hope the jets lose. I'm thinking better draft pick.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

and then we'll be in better position to draft a qb to supplant your messiah. how ironic.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Ny post reports sources that say Rex will return next season and announcement could be made as early as tommorow night ,this is awsome barring an absolute meltdown in Miami it looks like Rex will return

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Good news. This is what's best for the franchise.

who cares. it worked. we had one of our best games of the year.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Here's how it will go down:

Idzik brings Rex into his office and tells Rex how happy he is to have him and would like to extend his contract by one year.

Rex: (laughs) "One year??? One fucking year??? What the fuck is one fucking year???"

Rex: (walks out) "Get back to me when you figure out what the fuck you wanna do"

I know this is fantasy. but it could happen. Just because Izzy offers Rex a 1yr extension don't mean Rex has to sign it.

Rex could sense weakness and go for the jugular giving Izzy 3 options: cut him. keep him for his last year. or pony up some respect....as in 5 yr $50M

#94 Footballgod214, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

yea I don't think so. probably the opposite. nice try though troll.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

So now it's everyone's else's fault that the jets are a mediocre team? But Rex has no culpability?

When did he get diplomatic immunity?

I hope I'm wrong, and I do want this team to win regardless of who the coach is, I just don't see it with his style of coaching.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Rex did that, I'd hope that Idzik would waste no time telling him to go eff himself and not let the door hit him in the ass on the way out.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you have no idea that Idzik wants to get rid of Rex and it is Woody that is keeping him despite his GM's preference, so do yourself a favor and stop sounding like an idiot by perpetuating such dumb fuckery.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's not sounding like an idiot. It's a documented fact that Woody would not allow whoever he hired as the GM last year to fire Rex. Several GM candidates removed their name from consideration due to this. I've never heard of an owner saddling an incoming GM with the previous CS. Incoming GMs are allowed to do as they see fit with the previous CS. Since the GM's success is so heavily tied to his HC's success, it's only reasonable that a GM is going to want to hire his own HC and not be stuck with one hired by the previous GM. Therefore, it doesn't take any imagination and isn't a stretch at all to think that Idzik would want to hire his own HC. In fact, it's the most logical and reasonable opinion/thought to have on the matter. YOU are the one who is being unreasonable and illogical.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, he sounds like an idiot and you are joining the fun with him. we aren't talking last year, we are talking this year. and it is just as documented that Woody Johnson would allow the GM to fire Rex in 2014, which is what we are talking about.

espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8800995/new-york-jets-johnson-general-manager-pick-set-rex-ryan-success-failure

"The New York Jets are prepared to try the same thing, the NFL version of the arranged marriage. Rex Ryan is sticking around, owner Woody Johnson announced Monday, but they will hire a new GM. The new football czar will be entrusted with the power to fire Ryan in 2014.

the above article mentions two examples. two recent examples. perhaps you should try paying attention to the NFL before discussing what other teams do while admitting you do not even follow the league close enough to know what has happened just in the last coupe of years.

that is a tremendous over simplification of the situations in which coaching staffs are fired. simple minds can only deal with simple scenarios though.

there are additional possibilities to such a situations -- that new GM's are usually hired when the coaching staff may get fired anyways. when do GM's get fired? -- when the team does not succeed. when do coached get fired? when the team does not succeed. see the similarities?

it may simply be unusual that an owner believes that the coaching staff is not at fault with the failure and it totally lies with the GM, rather than the belief that the everybody is responsible for the failure and thus both the GM and coach have to go.

you have no idea whether in any situation in which a new GM was hired and cleaned house that it wasn't the organizations intent to fire the coaching staff anyways, and was solely the decision of the new GM.

of course it doesn't take any imagination, which is why the conclusion that Idzik is the decision maker keeping Rex is the only logical conclusion, especially in conjunction with the above article that he, as the new GM, has the authority to fire Rex after this season.

but the whining and conspiracy nonsense that Woody is forcing him to keep him this year is typical pussy fan insecurity, and pure baseless nonsense.

you have to show that it isn't Idzik's decision to keep Rex, and he is just a puppet of Woody (who has never once exhibited such a meddling trait as an owner).

sorry, but when your entire premise is based on fantasy, with zero evidence to support it, that is inherently the illogical argument. the fact that you are even attempting to defend such an asinine argument is embarrassing.

#100 JetBlue, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013