ESPN: Mike Wallace can dominate Darelle Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Jan 18, 2011.

1. lillloyd

lillloyd New Member

I'm not suggesting the entire Jets secondary will be in man coverage, just Revis, who would be shadowing Wallace...won't at least one of your safeties have responsibility for the deep portion of the field in this scenario? I would think that at the very least the deep routes would help dictate a deeper positioning depth for that safety...

You guys have such a unique situation because 1) Revis is a true shutdown corner and 2) Ryan deploys such complex schemes. But I would think (?) even if Revis is assigned to shadow Wallace, you'd have at least one of your safeties with zone responsibilities. (Unless that safety has literally been instructed to ignore Revis' man, no matter what--even if Wallace is the only wideout running deep through that safety's zone responsibility)

The more I think about it though, the more I think that you'll mix the coverages up quite a bit and won't have Revis exclusively on Wallace. If your coverage alignments confused Brady they should confuse Roethlisberger, why mess with a good thing?

2. lillloyd

lillloyd New Member

Understood. We haven't had a shutdown corner since Woodson, so the concept of literally no safety help deep is pretty foreign to me. I guess then we'd be better served to send Sanders or Brown.

I do agree that the options further down the list, beyond Ward and Wallace (Miller, Sanders and Brown in particular), are the ones that will be critical for our passing game. Sanders and Brown have been huge down the stretch, but they're still rookies and therefore are a bit of a wildcard. Revis will severely limit whatever primary target he's assigned to.

3. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

Exactly, this article is stupid, Revis isn't going to have problems.