ESPN: Curtis Martin's Career Likely Over

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by EcKo151, Oct 31, 2006.

1. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

even though i hate to see him go, i think its the right decision. If Martin would've played he would be risking permanent damage to his knee. I definitely dont wanna see that. He better be a 1st ballot HOFer.

Someone post that clip of Martin's classic TD run vs. the Chiefs one more time.

2. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

If Curtis doesn't come back this year, the JETS better retire his number at the end of the year. That really sucks to end your career this way. Hopefully the story is not true.

3. abdulsalaam

abdulsalaam New Member

In an era of steroids, showboating and selfish players, Curtis was pure class. On and off the field. He gave everything he had, in good times and bad. He was a role model for younger players, and for kids. I am enormously proud to have cheered for him as a Jet, and wish him well in his post-football era.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

It isn't over till I hear a fat lady singing. :mad: :sad:

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I just hope the Jets retire Martin's number during the Oakland game. Especially during an Oakland offensive series when they're moving the ball. The Jets could trot out every single living member of Martin's family, his coaches, his dogs, his goldfish....:up:

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

:rofl: Yeah, that would be just and fair. I am never going to forget that whole affair. How freaking tacky. Do something at half-time for these guys for crying out loud.

7. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I hate to see him go, a true team player and class act

8. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

Well, Martin is a class act and a sure candidate for the Hall of Fame. His body of work is amazing and he was as consistant a runner as the NFL has ever seen. He helped lift the Jets to new heights and gave you a threat each and every week.

That said, the bitter part of me is so damn happy that he goes out without a ring. So happy. Though I am not homer enough to admit that the Pats played a role in his leaving NE, I am still bitter to this day about the poison pill contract (to which they changed the rule to disallow it) he signed to leave NE.

So, while I can appreciate him as a player, and still think he is all class, I can't deny the evil fan in me who is jumping for joy that he chose to leave in a slimey way and the karma gods saw to it that he leaves a loser. OK, OK, that's a bit harsh :smile: , but he left without being a part of our success.

Good luck Curtis, enjoy your trip to Canton... you deserved it. :up:

9. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Curtis will always be "MY FAVORITE MARTIN".

10. baamf

baamf Active Member

:rofl: :rofl:
    Very funny....

11. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

it no doubt will be

12. Tight

Tight Active Member

Wow im really going to miss this guy. Maybe he can be a rb coach or something.

Thanks for running him into the ground herm.

Had herm just let someone else play when martin first got injured who knows.

Hypothetically speaking I know, I am just wondering.

His number should be retired, without a doubt. How many years did he play here and I can't think of one negative thing about him, Amazing.

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

:rofl: Bitterness. I work in Boston, and I mentioned to my boss today that Martin was likely to end up retiring. He mumbled something about it not being a fitting ending to his career unless he was being carted off to jail for some heinous crime or such. Sheesh... the bitterness indeed. :grin:

14. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

At times I want to say damn you Herm too, but honestly, how many would have been able to hold Martin back. His own competiveness was equally to blame for pushing himself beyond what is physically capable of ordinary people, let alone athletes. If he fights the pain and plays hurt and we win, he's immortal. However, we are all seeing just how mortal he truly is.

15. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Herm's fault. Parcells wouldn't have let him play...

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Was this at all necessary?

This is a really sad day in Jets land. I would love to extend a personal thanks to Curtis for 8 awesome years watching you Sunday in and Sunday out! You are what every professional athlete should aspire to. I wish you the best and will be in Canton the day you finally get your deserved recognition :martin:

17. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

I'll hate Belichick til the day he dies...so I know where you're coming from. I wish I could trade you what happened in 1998 for what happened in 2000.

18. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

Yes it was. Get over it.

I was just being honest. If you read it, you'll see I admit my fault in it as well. Stop taking message board posts to heart, you're better than that.

Martin was an amazing RB, and will be looked upon with greatness. Just sharing my own personal bitterness. :breakdance:

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Curtis will always be a favorite of mine. But I will also wonder how the heck a guy like him can be good friends with a drooling psycho like Mike Tyson.

Curtis, you were a great player to us, and an enigma to me. I salute you.

20. GreenMachine

Have I served out my punishment yet?:up: :smile: