ESPN and CBS: Saints are front runners to sign Derek Carr

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NOVAJET, Mar 5, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

for starters, there is one draw and one draw only to Lamar. It’s his running ability. If you turn him into a guy that has to sit in the pocket and only take off when he needs to then whoever made the decision to give up a ton of capital just for that should be fired and never given a job in the NFL again. Second, we are very clearly running one type of offense and we just saw what happened in Denver when you try to mix that all fence with a guy who likes to run around and improvise. like I said everything about the Lamar situation is a disaster and I hope we have nowhere near it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

That's the thing with Rodgers is it is a short-term shot. Rodgers would be here two years or maybe three tops. He is 39 and showed some decline last year. He is still a very good QB and much better than what we have obviously. If the Jets can improve the OL, then I think they could compete for a championship with Rodgers. But they have to do it within 2 or 3 years.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

With the way Rodgers' contract is structured, he's either getting paid 59.465M in 2023 and, most likely, 49.25M in 2024 (injury guarantee similar to the Carr situation) that we could technically get out of if we release him before 3 days after the SB next season, or we're going to essentially defer the 2023 cap hit (and maybe the 2024 cap hit) over the next 3-4 years, roughly 14.575M per season for his '23 number and 15.666M for his '24 cap hit that would defer into his void years on his contract (2025 and 2026).

This article from OTC, which I believe I've posted before, does a much better job of walking everyone though the complexity of Rodgers' contract.

So you're technically correct that Rodgers won't really get a 4-5 year contract in the sense that he's not going to get an extension by coming here but make no mistake, if Rodgers is on this roster next year there will be dead cap hits that we're responsible for because of Rodgers well into 2025 and potentially 2026.

There is the option that Rodgers restructures his deal but I don't think that really solves this problem unless they accelerate the cap charge and somehow eliminate those void years on his deal. I don't believe that Rodgers will restructure and lose money, that money will just get moved around somehow.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wow it’s worse than I thought with Rodgers. That’s cap hell right there

KY I don’t think Rodgers is even allowed to take less money, the NFLPA wouldn’t allow it. He is not the type anyway

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

But then again you deal with AR not committing to play next year or the following year. Does AR makes us better? Absolutely. But at what costs. And plus the jets may have to pay him $50M a year and still have few guys to sign. Can they be that solid team to get over the AFC east, KC, Cincy, Baltimore, San Diego ? I don’t think so. They ll be better but I don’t think they can build enough around AR to be a championship team. That’s just my opinion.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

He would maybe be upgrading at RB too, but that all depends on how Breece comes back from his ACL.

IF we went for Lamar, I think any other assets we have left this offseason would go towards fixing the OL. Which should honestly be the case no matter who we end up getting at QB.

7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If you don’t think he s a good passer and that’s your opinion. I think he makes any team and offense better and throws a lot of fits for defense. Again I am not saying the Jets should give up a ton for Lamar because they have too many holes to fill. If JD thinks he s the real deal so be it. I don’t think he will be a Russell Wilson disaster. That’s just my opinion.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think Rodgers was always his preferred choice, and is the best short term option for this team. And JD needs short term success to land more years here.
    Nothing else makes the Hackett signing make sense imo.

In terms of backup options, I believe it would be Tannehill and resigning Mike White, maybe even taking another chance in draft on top.
    Not as inspiring but you could make a playoff run with that, and for way less cap hit than Carr.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You might be right. But wonder if our owner has exerted extra pressure for Rodgers while JD and Rs might hsave been happy as hell with Carr.

10. BroadwayAaron

I didn't want to include RB yet because we have no clue what Breece will be. But either way, it's a lateral move on offense all things considered and he couldn't get it done with a top tier defense for years. I'm just not interested in giving up multiple day 1 and 2 picks for a hail mary (no pun intended). And that's what Lamar is for ANY team right now including Baltimore.

11. BroadwayAaron

Can you really see someone like Lamar thriving on timing throws and tight window throws? Why would you want to make him one of those guys to begin with?

12. BrowningNagle

Wow so the Jets should pass on an elite talent like Lamar Jackson because of Hackett Jr.‘s offense?

I think I might barf

BacktoQueens likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

This is a pretty dumb conclusion to come to. As hard as your hard-on is for Hackett it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the player you're spending a TON to acquire and the infrastructure you aren't even close to having from coaching down to personnel.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Because I have seen enough of him in Baltimore to make tight throws, and long passes? And he didn’t win the MVP with just his running game???

15. BrowningNagle

agreed!

16. BrowningNagle

hes a better passer than he gets credit for no doubt

17. BroadwayAaron

I fat-finger posted before finishing my post. I added above:

As hard as your hard-on is for Hackett it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the player you're spending a TON to acquire and the infrastructure you aren't even close to having from coaching down to personnel.

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I get your point but I wouldn't classify a 26 year old former MVP QB as a "hail mary".

There's absolutely negatives associated with a Lamar trade but I think negatives exists in a Rodgers trade too. It's why Carr was my Option A all along.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

I completely agree that Carr was the best option for that exact reason.

And any time you trade for a player that needs a certain system and specific personnel to thrive, it's a hail mary. Especially when you have essentially 0 of those pieces in place.

20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I think Carr was more than "Slightly" hoping the Jets and Saints would get into a bidding war. I guess when Ganggreen is squaring off against Mahomes for the AFC Championship and Rodgers is launching rockets to Wilson we'll all be stoked that Douglas stuck to his guns.