ESPN and CBS: Saints are front runners to sign Derek Carr

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NOVAJET, Mar 5, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Woof... this makes it hurt even more. What an unbelievably good deal for the Saints.

Jets79, KY Jets Fan, Borat and 2 others like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Trust in JD's vision![​IMG]

3. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I can’t say I was that excited about Carr but this AR or bust has Woody all over it. I can’t imagine a GM who knows his ass relies on the QB is all that excited at signing limping Jimmy G if he strikes out on AR.

stinkyB, IIMeanDeanII and teamgreen like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Are you forgetting or ignoring that Douglas had chances to draft all of those guys and decided not to for whatever reason? Unless he's decided that Zach was a total brainfart on his part, why would he give up assets to acquire a player he could've had for a simple draft pick? And while I do think he has the Jets best interests above his own, I don't think he'd acquire one of the guys you mentioned and put him is a QB competition with a guy he rated more highly. And even if he got rid of ZW to avoid that QB competition, it would be a glaring admission of his failure with regards the Zac pick and subsequent failure to develop him.

In short, I don't see Douglas acquiring any of these guys.

bicketybam likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Fuck Derek Carr. :mad:

We're gonna end up with Jimmy G. (backed up by Zach Wilson)... go 11-6 and get knocked out of the playoffs in round one.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  6. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Rodgers does not have a no-trade clause.

Br4d likes this.
  7. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Mind your own fucking business

bicketybam and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It does not confirm that at all. Everyone credible is reporting Rodgers was our #1 choice. The only thing that Incarcerated Bob report saying we were going to make an offer to Carr was good for is wiping my ass with it and then shitting on it - non necessarily in this order. To me it is simple. Carr has given us plenty of time to make an offer and we didn't. That means Rodgers is in play and Carr had to move on. The offer he got was up to 35 mil per year two years guaranteed. This was not some crazy deal but very reasonable.

It was not like Cousins situation, where Kirk just used us. This was more of the Jets having Rodgers as #1, and him still being in play when Carr got other offers and had to decide.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Are you forgetting that JD drafted James Morgan and Zach Wilson, and basically has no clue how to evaluate a young QB?

JD doesn't have some big secret that taking Zach was a huge bust. Everybody on the planet knows he failed with Zach. The sooner he accepts it the better.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I just don't understand how you can shit all over Wilson but think the answer is trade for Justin Fields...

11. ColoradoContrails

No, I'm not forgetting that, but unless you think Douglas is going to be replaced, why would he go against his own logic and analysis, even if you don't agree with it?

12. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Obviously, everything is speculation, but to me, this whole thing smells of Woody. My fear all along, has been that Woody wants his shiny toy (AR), & nothing JD, etc would say, would move him. Whenever Woody's interfered, it always ends in disaster. And I agree, the Jets kept waiting on AR, & Carr wanted to make a decision. He chose the team that made it clear they wanted him. Nobody wants to be the 2nd choice.

This team still has a lot of questions, for me Saleh being the biggest one.
    So, the whole AR thing has always been a SOJ move, while Carr gave the team a rare chance to sign a solid, durable QB, with a bunch of years left on his odometer... while the team filled the holes to build a sustained winner.
    I realize I'm in a minority, but trading for AR even if he comes cheap, will be a mistake.
    JD was building the team the right way, with a few major burps along the way (ie the way Zach was handled).
    Carr would've gotten the the team back on that track, while AR will force the team into a win-now mode, & lead to another clock reset in a year or two.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  13. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Rodgers is still a mystery. At this stage of his career he may only want one more year. He has a big payday coming this season. So he might want to stay in GB. I just don't think he has the passion for the game he once had. Lamar??? that would take mucho picks and a huge salary. .Jimmy G no draft picks reasonable money. Trade Zach and look of another promising young QB w/White as the backup. Carr would of put us in the Kirk Cousins/Ryan Tannehill category. Lots of options a roll of the dice.

14. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Carr was the safe move and even though I am meh at best on him, probably the right move.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you can equate them?

Zach got a ton of help in his second year and still regressed as an NFL QB.

Fields had a worse roster his 2nd year, probably the worst in the league, and still improved as a passer, while also adding 1142 rushing yards. Fields is trending towards becoming a FQB. Zach is trending towards the waiver wire.

Their not the same at all.

16. ColoradoContrails

Okay, I've basically kept my mouth shut for a while trying to counter the overwhelming belief that Zach is a hopeless bust, and at best, is being retained only until JD can get a bag of footballs for him.

And since I'm not an expert, maybe that assessment of Zach is accurate. But what if it isn't? What if Douglas and JD who have years of experience working with players actually believe that Zach can still be the guy they thought they drafted? Wouldn't trading for Rodgers and having him play for a year or two in front of Zach and allowing Zach to see first hand how to play QB at a high level make a lot of sense? It might not be a case of "...win-now mode, & lead to another clock reset in a year or two.".

UK_Chilts and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  17. Bleedingreennc

We are going to end up with no prom date after all is said and done.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't understand what you're saying. Why would I trust JDs logic for picking Zach Wilson when it was our biggest QB bust in history?

19. ColoradoContrails

It doesn't matter whether you trust his logic, as long as Woody does - IOW, as long as Douglas is the GM and in charge of making the decision about acquiring players - why do you think he would abandon his own logic and analysis?

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is so disappointing, but we will see how it plays out.

The darksider in me thinks Rodgers will take another three weeks or so to decide to retire, and we will be left with the dregs of the QB options. Who the hell knows what really happened but this sure as hell looks like pencil-neck Woody gave an order to get Rodgers at all costs. Who the hell knows, but this is shaping up like a really botched situation.

The sunshiner in me is saying that Carr wasn't that great and maybe we're better off with a cheaper option and trying again to find a decent QB through the draft.

Neither the darksider nor the sunshine wants Rodgers, so that's probably who we'll end up with. For one season.

ouchy likes this.