ESPN and CBS: Saints are front runners to sign Derek Carr

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NOVAJET, Mar 5, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Ridder, a total unknown commodity.
    Davis Mills, a known commodity in a bad way.
    Justin Fields, a known commodity in an even worse way.

None of these are viable options especially not for a GM/coaching staff that has the pressure on them to win and by all means, SHOULD win considering the talent everywhere else on the roster.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think that Douglas or Carr were really serious about making him a Jet. Each were doing their "due diligence", but that's about it.

I also think that the commitment to Zach Wilson by Woody and Douglas is a lot stronger than most people here would hope, and as such they didn't really want Carr unless they could get him at a reasonable price with a commitment of 3 years or less which Carr was never going to take.

If this ZW commitment is really as strong as I believe, then it makes the focus on Rodgers a lot more certain, and if they fail to get him, they'll turn to a "Plan C" option like Jimmy G, or similar caliber QBs who won't tie up as much money or guaranteed years.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Their being on the hot seat isn't an excuse to start dismantling what we have built out of desperation.

Mills is a guy that could really develop with more help then he had in Texas.
    Ridder has the pedigree and a ton of potential to become a future FQB.
    Fields would probably earn us as many wins as Rodgers.

All 3 could be potential long term solutions who come cheap both salary wise and capital wise. At this stage in our build they are the smart choices.

4. ColoradoContrails

This sounds even more desperate IMO. The only way any of these would happen is if they get rid of Zach, which I don't think they will. Moreover, since they couldn't figure out how to use Zach's talents, why do you think they'll do a better job using any of these guys talents, especially when they'd be coming in to a brand new system ( to them) and environment?

KingRoach likes this.
  5. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

We've all endlessly watched the videos of Douglas working the phones making deals during the draft. I am sure that is what's going on now. Neither us nor the media knows what's happening, it's as exasperating as hell, but, something great is about to happen. Have faith in Joe D. Go Jets.

6. ColoradoContrails

Having watched JD operate for 4 years now, I'm pretty sure he's not going to act as desperately as many of the fans here are, even if he might lose his job. It's just not how he works. He's got a process and a blueprint, and whether some - or many - fans don't agree with it, isn't going to make him abandon those things.

7. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm with you brother! As foolish as it may well be...

BleedJetsGreen1981 and stinkyB like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

How does he decide that? He doesnt have a no trade clause. The best he could do to screw us is retire.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He does? I didn't think he had a no trade clause.

KingRoach likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Dude.

It stings as a fan that we are always the team that Is the joke In the equation. The team being used as leverage. The team that Is always the laughing stock of the NFL.

I fucking hate this owner. I hate this team.

Now our option Is waste a bunch of draft capital on Rodgers, who literally Is a very temporary solution and a much higher cost. Also, does GB even want to trade him? So many more hurdles with him, fuck the media.

Or...

Sign a tier C bum.

It Is such a shit show, picking Zach Wilson was such a fucking mistake. FFS.

Who the fuck wants stability at the QB position anyways? Fuck It.

Why not, enjoy the circus everyone.

Disgusted.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Desperation is giving up a ton of resources for a one time shot at 10-7 - like Rodgers.
    Or giving up a ton of resources and draft capital for an injury prone guy like Jackson.

Were not a complete team yet. Signing an extremely cheap guy with potential isn't desperate - its patiently trying to build something long term.

Its the 2021 draft all over again and in our desperation were about to step into another bear trap.

#191 ouchy, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Br4d and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Maybe they can restructure it into a Bobby Bonilla type contract :D

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Have no fear, he's a great salesman....

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We will be paying for Aaron Rodgers when Robert Wood "Stumpy" Johnson V is owning the team :(

15. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

None of you even realize the blessing of Carr not signing with the jets lol. Congrats

16. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I’m with you. Over spending for rodgers, putting him behind a line that will get him killed… , because we couldnt afford to fix it. in front of the ny media. Should be great, clowns should be in full force by Oct 1.

IIMeanDeanII and BrowningNagle like this.
  17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

What if the Giants don't reach a long-term contract extension with Jones. They could put tag on him, but it could be non-exclusive which means the Jets could get him, but it would cost two 1st round picks. Jones never had an OL with the Giants and with the exception of Barkley has no playmakers on offense either. I am not saying I want the Jets to get him especially if it cost 2 1st picks, but it could be an option if the Jets like him.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Giants will place the franchise tag on Daniel Jones if he isn't signed to a contract extension by Tuesday.

18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Basically 30 mil a year for the first two years (60 mil guaranteed). Then 10 mil towards the 3d year. So even let's say Saints want to let him go after second year, essentially this is a two year 60-70 mil deal. 30-35 per year with only two year commitment. Not bad at all I would say for the Saints. Some were thinking teams would have to pay 45. Very modest and fair deal for a player of his caliber.

KY Jets Fan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It kinda confirms Carr was just using us for leverage all along.

Remember when we supposedly made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Lon Chaney and IIMeanDeanII like this.