Entirely Hypothetical: Darnold or Mayfield?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Apr 10, 2019.

?

Trade Darnold for Mayfield?

1. Yes

8.0%
  2. No

92.0%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

There is bias, but to say they are idiots or trolls is pretty immature. If you are banking on him reaching his potential, he will be a better QB then Baker.

Mayfield played great, but from what I saw Darnold had a much more difficult road coming into the league. I saw them both play a lot this year.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I called Colin Cowherd an idiot/troll, not the posters here. I also disagree that Darnold has a higher ceiling than Mayfield. I think their ceilings are both elite/HOF QB.

3. 101GangGreen101

So what about Tony Romo? Is he an idiot / troll? I am not talking about what "class" they will be in, I am talking about them performing at the highest level given their skill-sets, age and physical traits. Baker will continue to get the ball out quick, and be accurate ... but where does Baker go from here? He will be a solid player, but Darnold's ability to improvise, throw on the run and pocket presence could very well make Darnold the better QB.

FJF, Sam Hammer and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

Of course not. I said "There are idiots/trolls who prefer Darnold." Not "Only idiots/trolls prefer Darnold." And I was responding to a post that said "Only hard core knowledgable football fans would take Darnold over Mayfield." Which is not true. As for Mayfield, it sounds like you're portraying him as an Alex Smith or Jared Goff type QB. Quick release, accuracy, and little else. (Though Goff is better than Smith and still has room for improvement.) But Mayfield actually does improvise, throw on the run, make big throws, etc. If anything, his problem last year was taking too many risks.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I "liked" your post because I do agree with you, but I also have very mixed feelings about Rosen on the Giants. I still think he has FQB potential and while I believe Sam also has that, I would hate for Rosen to outshine Sam. But that said, I'd rather he goes to the Giants than the Pats - that would be a nightmare.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But anyone not a BIlls fan would take either over Allen.

7. HomeoftheJets

The Pats are another story, but I'm not concerned with Rosen on the Giants. Shurmur is a mediocre coach, and Gettleman's gone mad.

8. 101GangGreen101

Mayfield will be much better then Alex Smith, I see him eventually as a very poor mans New Orleans version of Brees, or San Diego Brees on his best day.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Give me a link where McVay says he prefers Mayfield to Darnold. I don't believe the Rams did serious due diligence on either Sam or Baker before last years draft.

There are no casual fans who would not take Mayfield over Darnold. He was the top pick and had a year that got him press. Whatever you think of Coward he is engaged in the sport. He isn't a casual fan. He makes his living commenting on sports and watches it.

Yes he trolls and yes his opinion may be worthless but he is not a "casual" fan. Only hard core fans and pro's will be in the camp that Darnold is worth more today than Mayfield. That doesn't mean knowledgable fans won't think Mayfield is worth more today than Darnold.

The Cleveland Browns also have a media department that's job was to sell the pick the minute it was made as does every NFL team. McVay may well like Mayfield but that's a different question than did he scout him against Darnold and after watching NFL tape of both of them who he would trade for if Goff suddenly rolled out of bed and decided to beat up his girlfriend on a public cam.

#109 Biggs, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  10. HomeoftheJets

"The Rams also may have had Mayfield QB1 based on how coach Sean McVay feels about him. ESPN's Jeff Darlington reported over the weekend that McCoy [sic] would've sold the farm for Mayfield if he didn't already have Jared Goff. McVay sat next the Mayfield on his flight to the NFL Combine last month and advised him on how to handle media interviews." https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/04/baker_mayfield_was_the_top_qb.html This article is from a Browns site, but the writer Mary Kay Cabot is as reputable as beat writers get. Plus Darlington has no affiliation with the Browns.

Cowherd makes his living by trolling. I have no idea what he actually thinks of Darnold or Mayfield (for all I know, he might really think Mayfield is better), but he knows he has to keep his shtick up for ratings.

Anyway, I get that knowledgeable fans can rate Darnold higher than Mayfield. If any individual poster rates Darnold higher, I'll take him seriously. Myself, I rate Darnold a little lower than Mayfield (though I had Darnold higher before the draft) but it's a floor and not a ceiling thing. But when over 95% of Jets fans wouldn't trade Darnold for Mayfield (and before the draft, there were tons of Jets fans who rated Mayfield higher), there's some real bias going on.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah....

That ain't gonna happen.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I know what he thinks of Sam because I've talked to him about it...off camera.

He ain't trolling. He honestly thinks Sam is the better quarterback.

Take it for what it's worth.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

We all saw how badly McVay was outcoached in the Super Bowl.
    In a couple of years I wonder if people will still think he is the boy wonder.

FJF likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

One of Mayfield's strengths is improvising. Prior to last year's draft, several "experts" said that Mayfields ability to improvise was on a par with Rodgers. They said Sam could improvise too, but not on the same level as Mayfield. Mayfield can also throw on the run, and while I didn't see Mayfield play much with the Browns last year, I did see him a lot with Oklahoma and don't remember ever seeing him panic or not be poised. If Sam winds up better than Mayfield, I don't think it will be because of those three traits.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Well, considering he's 24-8 as a head coach, which is a .750 winning percentage, I'll chalk it up to him being out-coached by arguably one of the best head coaches in NFL history.

I'd say he's the real deal

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

He wasnt improvising in that Georgia bowl game.

Romo says Darnold has innate ability to move in the pocket avoid pressure and make throws on the run. I trust what Romo says.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's the part that makes me uncomfortable, actually. Romo likes Darnold because he compares favorably to... Romo.

While I like that Sam has a great pocket presence and can improv to find the open man, Romo did too and he ended up having multiple back and shoulder surgeries as a result of trying to extend plays.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Again where does McVay say he likes Mayfield over Darnold? He met Mayfield he made a comment that if he didn't have Goff he would sell the farm to get him. If he really thinks Mayfield is great why not sell the farm to get him. Goff hasn't yet shown he is an elite NFL QB. In fact Goff has shown to be shaky in big spots.

You do know there was a lot of spin once Mayfield was taken No. 1 because it was a controversial pick. I've never seen so much spin on a No. 1 before to justify it.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'd say the Rams were an absolutely loaded team when McVay got there. McVay had very little to do with getting the Rams Offensive talent.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He's a great coach. He also has had zero to do with picking the talent on the Rams O. He inherited Goff who has been at best a bad QB in 2 playoff runs. If McVay thinks Mayfield is awesome he should have tried to get him. Goff actually had trade value before crapping his pants in his second playoff run in two years.

There is nothing awesome about Goff. He's arguably the third best QB in the NFC West.