Elijah Moore

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Oct 10, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That is not true at all. Obviously, you didn't watch much film of him, or you need your vision checked.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This is an odd predicament because he excelled at play action at BYU. It’s a big part of why he was deemed such a good fit for this scheme.

dmw likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I never thought his ball fakes were good at BYU, but maybe he has gotten sloppier with them thinking about his reads or something. He is a rookie, and even though he is very advanced in some areas, he still isn't a veteran. Things need to be made simpler for him like they are the other rookie QBs so he doens't have to think so much and can just play and let his talent take over.

We all know that college defenses are not NFL defenses, and that NFL veterans aren't falling for things that college defenders do. If they wanted Zach to run a lot of PA, they should have had him fix his faking the handoffs either with his private coach (Beck) or maybe Chad Pennington, who was a master at it, and then they should have practiced it nonstop until he could consistently execute that at a high level. It is clearly obvious that they didn't.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. legler82

I agree that his ball fakes were at BYU and still are now in the pros lazy. However, I don’t think his struggles in play action are because of that.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Moore is a rookie WR. Even the good WR's are about 50/50 to have major problems the rookie season.

It's something about being one-on-one against a seasoned pro on most downs and no help available anywhere. If the CB covering you is good you'd better be 100% on your game or you will struggle for awhile.

abyzmul and cval like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I bet the play action stuff would be working better if we had a legit run game/threat.

Just a hunch...

Noam, Cman68, NYJetsO12 and 1 other person like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

What do you think are causing his struggles with the PA?

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

there is no run game. What or why would LB’s cheat up for?

NCJetsfan, FJF, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nothing makes sense the way they are handling the Kid

Do some play action but no one runs the football??

I can't see anyone supporting this Coaching Staff if this continues 11 more weeks

You know things are bad when Brian Costello from the Post has to think of 5 ways to improve the Offense

#69 NYJetsO12, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Jets seem to have a way of doing that to folks.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They do, and I know you're joking, but what I like from Zach Wilson is the speed at which he talks football. Darnold is so noncommittal and uninteresting and Mark Sanchez was a male bimbo that spent most of the time trying to live up to his GQ cover. What the fuck were those headbands about? Geno Smith had a 10 cent head and Christian Hackenburg didn't exist, that was a figment of the Mandela Effect.

This guy at least speaks with intelligence and passion about football, although he needs to expand his social vocabulary further than things like "cool dude" and "awesome bro".

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

One of the interesting parts of the 2nd half of the Falcons game is the Jets were still running PA while the Falcons sat in a deep zone with LBs refusing to move up.

Running less PA per game would have the added benefit of making it more likely defenses would bite on the fake.

BrooklynJetsFan, cval and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

As always IMO this is a twofold problem:

1) Zachs accuracy is horrendously bad. He's missed a wide open Moore several times.

2) Shockingly, when Zach does throw an accurate pass, Moore drops them. Just like Corey Davis he's dropped a LOT of passes.

I don't know what it is with this group but collectively they're a bunch of choke artists.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think his struggles with play action are simple. In play action you take your eyes of the receivers and defenders. As a rookie to reestablish what the defense is doing is tough even harder if your first read is not open and even harder if protection breaks down quickly.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Zach has thrown a few off target balls but I would not call his accuracy horrendous. Even the GOAT threw a coupe of stinkers last night.

Noam likes this.
  16. legler82

A combination of things several of which has nothing to do with him. The PA play designs, personnel, lack of success in the running game, the blocking…etc. That said, his accuracy & decision making on those plays haven’t been the best.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

That's certainly true, but don't you think the predictability of the offense (playcalling and running on 1st and 2nd downs the majority of the time, and passing on 3rd and long), poor blocking by the OL, and the sloppy ball fakes are also part of the problem?

To what do you attribute the lack of a rushing attack?

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Have you even watched his college tape? Even his highlite reel his good throws are mostly 50/50 jump balls or badly underthrown. Can he be OK in the NFL? Of course, but don't sell Zach as the most accurate thrower the nfl has ever seen....he's not.

19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

A dink and dunk scheme doesn’t even remotely fit the QB though, who’s most effective throwing downfield

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I know. But he's not doing that well either, so...

PJ4Ever likes this.