Elijah Moore

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Oct 10, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

great point. Not sure why they want him to play outside

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And hopefully, Davis will stop dropping passes.

cval likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Zach didn't have accuracy issues at BYU. IMO the issues he's having now are due to having to think too much, it's the stupid scheme and play calling, or it's the pressure he's under due to GVR, McGovern and Moses, or some combination of those factors.

NYJetsO12, Noam and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that is clear to see. Wilson's misses seem more mental to me than inaccurate. He rushes his passes. Especially the easy ones. Dump offs, screens, he just is not comfortable with it yet. I think he said he was robotic yesterday and that is a great way to explain it. So it is nice to see he is self-aware and realizes what he is doing wrong.

Remember before the season started I believed the Jets would compete, but now I see that it truly is a learning season for all of these young guys, including Wilson. The strategy could pay off in the future. In fact, I think it will.

dmw, cval, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that’s one thing I’ll say about the kid. Idk if he will be good or not but it’s clear he WANTS to be good, and you have to respect that.

I’m not sure I could say that about some of our other failed QBs

dmw, legler82, NYJetsO12 and 3 others like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's a good point.

I'm of the opinion that his attitude, football smarts & arm talent made it easy for the coaching staff to think Zach could handle whatever they put in front of him.

The pro game has chewed up a lot of college stars that didn't have the stones to persevere.
    I don't think Zach is lacking in that department.... but he sure needs to tune up his game.
    This bye-week came at the perfect time.

SOJAZ, dmw and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's true. None of them really seemed like they loved football.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

One thing to factor in are the types of plays he is being asked to make. The Jets have called a lot of play action and long developing passes both of which he has struggled on. On quicker passes where he gets the ball out fast he is not just been ok but he has exceled. On passes that are released in 2.5 seconds or less his adjusted accuracy rate is 89.5 percent ranking him the 4th most accurate QB in the NFL.

He has really struggled on play action which takes longer to develop and longer to make his reads. The Jets greatly upped his use of PA against Atlanta using it on 42 percent of pass plays. I am sure that did not help. But going less PA would be one way to help him out.

But the real culprit for not executing normal plays is the Jet offense cannot get into a sustained rhythm. Too many mistakes by everyone on the offense ends drives forcing everyone to press more and make more mistakes. Unsurprisingly, when the offense has had success the mistakes become less as everyone gains confidence and presses less which shockingly leads to more success. It is a spiral that goes both ways. Confidence or lack of confidence is so huge especially for young players.

#49 Noam, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  10. legler82

Isn’t PA a staple of Shanahan/LaFleur’s offense?

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Did someone say he's thinking too much? Sorry ...but this kids brain is on Overload...and LaFleur has no clue . Perfect SOJ recipe for QB ruination. I saw the kid in preseason feasting and was duped into the thought that it's gonna continue. You know something as a Fan I can afford to make a mistake...but the A Hole management has/ should know better right??? That's why they get paid big bucks!

In the middle of the London Mess he threw a bad pick..the expression on Wilsons face was heartbreaking to see that real upset..he's gonna get more of that . And I don't want him hurt

Of course the mental abuse could all have been avoided if Douglas got a Vet to get Wilson slowly ready for the uber speed of NFL play..but douchbag Woody says we need to fill seats at MetLife
    Remarkable that R Saleh did not bang on the table to get an experienced QB

Nothing that has to with this Team is remotely smart

#51 NYJetsO12, Oct 14, 2021
    SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  12. legler82

His ball placement has been less than desirable (trying to be polite) all season. Completions and incompletions too far to the inside, wrong shoulder, underthrown…etc. That’s not mental.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe Mims got caught sending derogatory emails?

Anyway, not sure where the 'Zach is an accurate passer' is coming from. Virtually ALL his college deep balls were 50/50 toss ups, especially along the boundaries. For this I'd like to see more Mims...he's kinda built to be Zach's top WR.

RochesterJet and legler82 like this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

You must have forgotten this:

Or this:

Do I need to keep going? But the most impressive thing about Zach in college was not off platform throws or big plays but his ability to execute the offense consistently in the structure of the play. That is what separated him over the other QBs. The ability consistently make routine NFL type throws.

#54 Noam, Oct 14, 2021
    dmw and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do you have the updated pro numbers?

Footballgod214 and legler82 like this.
  16. legler82

Those are no longer Navy, University of Texas San Antonio, North Alabama…etc. windows.

17. NCJetsfan

If he's uptight, thinking too much, it could be mental. You know as well as I do that he was VERY accurate at BYU and his ball placement was exceptional. That just doesn't go away over a period of a few months.

dmw likes this.
  18. legler82

I was never a fan of his ball placement particularly in his final breakout year.

19. NCJetsfan

It may be, but this is an area where LaFleur need sto make adjustments and adapt his offense to the skills and talents of the players he has here and now. Zach is not adept at PA, either in faking the handoff or in reading the D and completing passes afterwards. Unless or until he can feel comfortable and execute well with PA, it should be scrapped or severely curtailed. Anything short of that is insane. It will keep the offense from working and could ruin Zach's confidence. LaFleur's job is to put his players in a position to succeed and to maximize their potential and minimize/hide their weaknesses. If he cannot or will not do that, then he must go. We all know that trying to force square pegs into round holes does not work.

LaFleur is not Shanahan, and we don't have the same players with the exact same skills that SF has.

20. NCJetsfan

I don't know why not. It was outstanding. He put balls where only his receivers could catch the ball and not take a big hit.