Early Offseason Thread. Get er done JD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Then you're likely not getting him. The trade must include a contract extension and he's talking $16 million a year.

Not sure why you think the Jets are getting a discount on the trade compensation and the contract.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I literally said in the post you quoted (and misread) why I think that. Teams aren't going to pay him $16 mil a year and the Lions aren't going to get high compensation for a guy that wants to get paid that highly. The more Slay drives his price up, the less teams are going to give up for him. They are working directly against each other.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

I understand what you said. I disagree with it. It didn't stop the compensation on the Jalen Ramsey trade. Or Khalil Mack. And usually doesn't stop the player from being moved for high compensation or keep him from getting a big contract.

The Lions were asking for multiple high picks. Smart by them in making the trade demands ridiculous. So by the time they settle, it'll be a first round pick, maybe a second. And he has to work a contract out with the trading team first.

I agree that they're working against each other. But I don't believe he'll settle on anything less than $14-15 million with tons of guaranteed money and a first or second round pick.

Either way, I don't want him period. Corners start to decline at his age, not get better. He's not a zone corner, he's a man corner. They only get slower on the recovery speed.

There's a better chance that the trade compensation becomes less than the players contract demands.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

After Stefon Diggs took down his Vikings things on Instagram rumors are running that he'll ask to be traded. Knowing what happened this year this is not surprising. I think he is better than Robby but like Robby he does disappear during stretches. I'd definitely be interested but fear he'd be too much in terms of compensation. Still a long way to go but they'll be players we want and need to be had just a question if we can meet their money or a teams trade demands.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Diggs is a more complete receiver than Anderson, but they are similar personalities. Discouraged when they're not getting the ball and pouting/lazy route running to follow.

No surprise he wants out. I thought the reports were that he got fined in excess of like $250K last year? Don't quote me on that.

I like him more but I'd rather not bring in a malcontent receiver.

CotcheryFan and AJT73 like this.
  6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree. Malcontent receivers scare me. For the most part he has been good but a few things have popped up the last two years and that scares me. Reminds me of a Santonio Holmes. Very good receiver but like you said when he is not involved becomes a malcontent and he causes problems. I'm interested but leary.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes, agreed. That sums up my feelings. He's an instantly huge upgrade. He's had two different seasons the past two year and both showcased a different skillset. 2018 he caught a lot of balls underneath for a lower YPC and 2019 he was more of the deep threat.

Odell is being speculated to want to come here now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thejet...am-jr-sees-gang-green-ideal-landing-spot/amp/

Lord help us. Great player but the definition of a cancer. It's tough because there are times players like this help franchises a TON. I.e. TO to Philadelphia. And then in the beginning in Dallas. And then they implode.

FJF and AJT73 like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Those were terrible trades for the franchise. They left the Jets roster thin, the cap strapped and were like cotton candy on the lips after the second season.

There's a reason the Jets are a laughingstock at this point and it's that they had no respect for the value of the draft and too much respect for veteran free agents and trade acquisitions. The combination flat-lined us by 2012 and we haven't gotten off the mat since then.

I should have lead with Brett Favre. 10 great games and then a huge hole for a decade.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree. For the most part, the Jets should be trading players for draft picks, not the other way around.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Trading for Brett Favre did not cause a decade long hole at qb. Sanchez not working out did.
    Trading for older players in and of itself isn’t the problem. The problem is and will always be missing on the draft picks the team did execute. You miss so many you have to make drastic moves for these vets and than miss more while you have them and there’s no one to replace them when they age/injury out.
    you seem to have your cause and effect backwards.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

Kris Jenkins was a pro bowler his first year with us and then got hurt. That was far from a bad trade. You can't predict injuries. When he was healthy he did exactly what someone you trade a 3 and 5 for should do. He had $9 mil guaranteed over 4 years with us. Boy did that strap our cap!

Brandon Marshall cost a 5th round pick and became the Jets all-time leading receiver for a single season, led the league in TD catches and finished 6th in yardage. The next year he fizzled out after fighting with Sheldon Richardson, dealing with a rotation of dogshit at QB (the Fitz regression, Bryce Petty and Geno Smith) and playing hurt. Man imagine what we could have done with the 5th rounder and $9 mil!

Braylon Edwards was damn near a 1,000 yard receiver and the most importnat receiver on a team that went to back to back AFC championship games. The team stupidly let him walk in favor of a bunch of turds. If only we kept Chansi Stuckey, Jason Trusnik and that third rounder! And god damn man I can't believe we had to pay him $5 mil in 2010!!!! CAP STRAPPED!!!

Cromartie was part of one of the best CB tandems the league has ever seen. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by listing that trade here.

You get it. I hope at least. My point isn't that every trade was a homerun, my point is that you saying they were terrible trades that left the roster thin and cap strapped is completely off base. Not a single move outside of Holmes left us cap strapped and even that's pretty dramatic in the case of Holmes. You make trades to acquire talent. By all means, every trade you listed accomplished that goal. The franchise doesn't control injuries and extenuating circumstances.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

I think you're making the point for him though. These were all one year fixes. Two at most. The problem with this franchise has been trading away picks and pulling zero starters out of the mid rounds that we can keep under team control for 4-5 years at minimum cost.

You also throw around the salary numbers like their nothing. The salary cap in 2007 for Kris Jenkins was drastically different than it is now. It goes up a lot every year. So all of the figures were a lot more money then than they are now.

13. BroadwayAaron

They weren’t made to be one year fixes. They were one year fixes because of injury or terrible consequential front office moves. And $5 mil guaranteed over 4 years was absolutely not a lot of money no matter if it was 2009 or 2020.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

The intent doesn't justify what it ended up resulting in. It's not just coincidence in all of these cases that trading for veterans nearing their 30's ended up in being only a one or two year stop gap. Mac tried doing it several times too.

There are more examples of this failing. Chris Ivory for a fourth round pick. Kelechi Osemele to trade down 56 spots in the draft from the 5th to the 6th. Percy Harvin for a 6th.

When you add all of them up and the cumulative result is 1-2 year stop gaps, then your strategy is all wrong. Having so few picks in the mid rounds from 2007-2011 is the reason this franchise ended up in turmoil for a decade.

All Gas No Shake, SOJAZ, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep, this is the main point. Good teams get many of their players from the 3rd to 5th rounds. The Jets spent a lot of time trading those picks for 1 and 2 year fillers and by the time the cumulative effect was felt they had one of the worst rosters in the NFL.

To compound the problem they couldn't draft for their life in the 2nd round.

Where the Jets were in 2018 was no accident or bad luck, it was the fully realized design of a decade of bad strategies. Then they traded 3 more 2nd round picks to finally get a QB. It's a minor miracle that we are not still flat-lined with no hope. It's going to take more than a minor miracle to build the team the Jets need to support Sam Darnold and win moving forward. Any more of the cutesy marketing plays and they're not going to get it done.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yannick saying he wants/expects $22+ / year. Might be to rich for our blood.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

He's got Dolphin written all over him. Income tax-free state and he doesn't have to move all that far. Plus they have the most cap space in the league.

They can build the offense through the draft, while having him and Howard be the cornerstones of the defense. They could be scary in a year or two. Especially since I fully believe they will end up with Tua. Even if it means moving up to get him.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

JD says in today’s presser goal is to have Jamal be a jet for life, they have not discussed trading bell, would like to resign Robbie.

20. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

The team needs to invest its goal in youth and picks for the team to grow.

I'm excited to see the love for OLine joe has, really exciting and i feel for joe that this roster is in the state it is in.

However, he's had longer than any other brand new gm to set up for this draft, plenty of time to find players and scout them.

We have the same schemes next year on both sides of the ball, which should be great.

This team will never get better until we have at least one extremely solid draft and the longer it goes without it, the harder it will be for this franchise to become a top 5 team.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk