Eagles Trade Wentz to Colts

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by CotcheryFan, Feb 18, 2021.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think once teams got tape on him he has struggled. A large part of that was accountability.

Maybe they can reign him in but he plays better with bigger receivers and good hands and catch radius. His accuracy is there with Darnold. Infact they looked virtually identical at times last season.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Omg they were ready to murder roseman on philly radio today. Theyve really been over him for a while, regardless of the Wentz situation.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

My, how times have changed ...

With Wentz traded, there is now not a single QB drafted in the first round from 2009 - 2016 who is still with his original team.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

QB contracts kill teams unless they are all set to go at the moment the contract is signed.

At some point somebody will do real analytics for pro football similar to what Bill James did for baseball in the 80's. QB contracts will likely go to half what they are now when that happens. Other positions will no longer get huge contracts either although they will not be hit the way the QB position is because those contracts cap in the low 20's now.

The guy most likely to become the poster child for big QB contracts are damaging is Deshaun Watson. No team built for him at the moment and no trade destination that would help that key factor.

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The NFL has a hard salary floor, so the money has to be spent somewhere, and I doubt that second-string offensive linemen are going to get more to balance it out. If the NFL went to fully guaranteed contracts, the way it is in every other sport, these devastating contracts would become much less likely. The Chiefs would give Mahomes a lot of money, but not annually for 10 years - maybe 5 or 6. The Rams and the Eagles could make a genuine three-year commitment to a Goff or Wentz, but they wouldn't find themselves unable to field a team because of massive dead cap money if they wanted to move on after two years. This would also clearly be better for the competitive balance of the league. The problem with that is that the NFLPA would never (and probably should never) go for it, since it would mean that a healthy majority of the players would be on one-year contracts. The issue with football is that there is lots of money to spread around, but the majority of players are completely interchangeable, and wear out quickly. That results in a few haves and whole lot of have nots, and all of these machinations like signing bonuses and dead cap money are artificial ways of trying to make things "fair."

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I don't know if you are saying Wentz is going to get hurt because I don't see what other QB would challenge him for playing time there. Are you thinking Brissett ends up the starter?

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah i just see him having the same luck there as in Philly with injuries. Play wise i think they will trot him out there no matter how bad he plays.

The Waterboy likes this.
  8. Br4d

There are maybe a half dozen QB's in the NFL that are actually worth something approaching the top 20 QB salary numbers. There was maybe one worth a huge deal like Mahomes got and he's playing in Tampa Bay for substantially less than that.

That's just the reality of NFL QB contracts. Most of them substantially overpay a guy who can't drag his team to the promised land while also making the money he is making.

You can argue that marketing and how QB's are marketed to season ticket holders makes up some of the difference. However very few teams really market effectively around their QB. This is because in order to do that you have to both have a QB worth marketing with and win enough games to make the marketing plausible over time.

I get that it seems like Patrick Mahomes is worth the contract he just signed. However the Chiefs have not even begun to pay out on the contract against the cap and they already put the likely results of having to pay out on it on display in the SB when they gave us a strong glimpse of what Mahomes was like with subpar OT's on the field with him.

The QB is the most visible player on the field, however he is also the most dependent on having a full complement of talent around him. Without the help he is Matthew Stafford.

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If he gets hurt, the pick next year remains a second. He wont meet the required snap % to improve the pick to a first.
    Colts could also insert a package for Hurts, limiting Wentz's snap count to avoid having the pick become a first

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Wentz plays poorly in the first half, the Colts may shut him down in the second half so they don't have to give the Eagles their first rounder.

11. Br4d

Eagles still $43M over the cap after the Wentz trade.

Cuts will start happening soon because the Eagles can't wait until the last minute with that much business to do.

They may have to cut Derek Barnett who is one of the few people with no guaranteed money until his 5th year option vests at the start of the league year.

The Saints may have to cut Ryan Ramczyk also.

Players to watch out for with the Jets #2 on the waiver wire.

12. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

The post was not about who won or lost on the trade or whether Wentz will be on the roster. It was about not being so obsessed w/the QB position that you ignore the rest of the roster & building depth when you have the opportunity to do so (i.e. all the draft picks we have).

In 2018 we traded a boatload of draft picks to Indy for Sam Darnold to be the QB on an otherwise empty roster. Who went to the playoffs last year & who is picking 2nd in this year's draft?

Br4d likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd take both of them. I think Barnett is a bit better than his sack numbers indicate. He always seems to be putting pressure on the quarterback. And Ramczyk is obviously a great player although I'm sure he'd come with a big price tag.