Eagles QB Situation vs. Jets QB Situation

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by JFjets, Oct 29, 2012.

1. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Meanwhile, Robert Griffin III, 2nd overall pick in the draft, has a gaudy 97.3 QB rating, 66.8% completion rate, 1778 passing yards, 8-3 TD/INT ratio, 6 rushing TD's, 8 fumbles, and....a 3-5 record (good for last place in the NFC East), against a schedule that includes 4 teams with a losing record, with a Redskins team that is ranked only marginally worse than the Broncos defense was with Tebow.

And of course we've all seen what Cam Newton's fantastic numbers last year contributed in terms of winning games.

Some people will never understand that being a leader frequently is about a lot more than just "looks".

I'll take Tebow's ugly mechanics, low completion %, fierce competitiveness and winning record, thank you.

2. phaytal

phaytal New Member

You're truly getting desperate, because both RGIII and Cam Newton would still be better than Tim Tebow if they were paraplegic. Rookies lose football games, and Newton has zero offensive talent around him. Those are the facts.

Here is another one; Tim Tebow is riding pine behind a shitty quarterback, and not one team in the league wants him as their starter.

So you can take Tebow's ugly mechanics, low completion %, fierce competitiveness and winning record, all the way to the bench, because that is where he's going to be for a long, long, time. He will never win a starting job anywhere. The only way he sees the field is if the starter in front of him is so shitty, they play themselves out of a job.

3. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Bull. Cam Newton has one of the best receivers in the league and one of the very good running backs in the league.

Alfred Morris has the 3rd most rushing yards in the league this year for Washington.

4. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

This has no relevance to whether he can win football games. It's like me telling you your girlfriend is ugly because she doesn't have a modeling contract. The conclusion does not provide evidence for the premise.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The difference is Reid ain’t Ryan.

In nearly four years we have never seen Rex consider a QB change. He has had one QB his whole tenure. I don’t think he has the tools to evaluate who should be starting so maybe thats a good thing.

But Reid wont play around.

People forget Reid benched Mc Nabb for the backup twice during Mc Nabbs career. With Reid its produce or sit -as it should be.

6. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Cam Newton has an aging Steve Smith, and Greg Olsen at TE. Thats it. Very good running backs? His running backs have less than 500 combined yards for the entire season. Newton is the leading rusher on that team. You have no clue what you are talking about.

They also have one of, if not the worst offensive line in football - http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

As far as RGIII goes, you should just leave that one alone. He looks absolutely spectacular on the football field. He has a much better arm then Tebow, he is pinpoint accurate, and is a far better athlete overall than Tebow is. There is just no comparison.

#26 phaytal, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  7. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

But is he winning? Tebow started winning almost immediately.

BTW, RGIII is a beast and looks like he will go down as a great one. Not taking away anything from him at all.

8. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Still think Newton could have won most of those games here. He only needed about 13 points most of the time.

You don't think Newton could have gotten the Denver offense there? I also think his record if he were in Carolina would be just as dismal... and perhaps someone like Drew Brees MIGHT get them near .500.

Carolina is simply a terrible franchise.

9. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

It's possible, but I wouldn't bet anything significant on it.

10. phaytal

phaytal New Member

No, the Panthers are not winning. They are a terrible football team. Aaron Rodgers couldn't win with that team. You simply cant win football games when you have no talent around the quarterback.

But saying that Tebow is better than Newton is asinine.

11. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

Tebow >>>>>> Newton.

12. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Washington was statistically the second worst defense in the league, that is what is killing them.

13. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Steve Smith was so old and rickety that he had the 5th most receiving yards in the league last year.

The running back tandem of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart combined to be one of the top teams in the league last year as far as rushing yards. Add Cam's rushing yards to the mix and they were even higher, maybe #1. By the way, last year Cam was the 3rd leading rusher for Carolina. 6-10.

The only comparison that matters is wins and losses. I think RGIII will be a good QB in the league. I also think Tim Tebow will be a good QB in the league. Tebow has one of the top winning percentages of any of the young QB's in the league right now.

14. catfish

catfish New Member

IIRC Carolina's offense was awful last year too, wins are a team stat not a QB stat, QB can help or hurt more than most, but it still takes a whole team to win

15. Concerned_Citizen

Exactly, which is why I find it odd to see people compare win loss records in one on one player comparisons in a sport that has 22 guys on the field in any given time as if they were tennis records.

Otherwise I'd have to believe Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino because he got a Superbowl ring as a QB and Marino didn't. Anyone stupid enough to try making that argument?

16. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Way to ignore the fact that Carolina has the worst O-Line in football, but we'll get to that in a second. You still have no idea what you are talking about.

Williams and Stewart combined for 1,597 yards last year. That puts them at exactly 25th in the league in rushing. With Newton's 700+ yards on the ground, he jolted the Panthers to 3rd in the league in rushing.

That was last year.

This year, Carolina has the worst line in football. Stewart is averaging a sad 26 ypg, and Williams is averaging a pathetic 30 ypg. Newton is their top rusher.

Also, I never said Steve Smith was irrelevant. I said he was aging, and the only stud in their receiving corps. His tight end is his #2.

But here is really the only thing that matters; Cam Newton is the face of a franchise, and will have a team built around him in the years to come. Newton is only in his 2nd year. He will get a contract extension, and be a Panther for a very long time.

Tebow is riding pine in a league that doesn't want him.

No, that is not the only thing that matters. RGIII scares defensive coordinators, and he is keeping his team in games even though his defense is absolutely horrible. That is pretty much the exact opposite of what happened in Denver last year, when Denver's D had to keep the terrible Tebow offense in every game. Put Tebow on RGIII's Redskins team and he is 0-7. It's that simple.

17. Concerned_Citizen

Disagree.

The league would want Tebow. Just not at QB and not with the circus trying to force him into the starting lineup.

Good guy in the locker room. Versatile in almost any position that doesn't involve throwing. Sells a lot of tickets and jerseys, and brings relevance to said team. People are interrested in that underdog human interrest story. Guarantee Jacksonville, who is in the cellar at "most irrelevant team in the league" would LOVE the attention from FLORIDA fans.

I think other teams would too, though I doubt anyone but maybe Jacksonville would actually consider him at QB.

18. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

The GM there did a terrible job assembling talent there. Paid top dollar for 3 RUNNING BACKS? What a joke, also they are in cap hell next year.

Cam Newton will get a pass this year unless he really goes into the tank, next year will make or break him, but they need help, and they don't have the money to do so, if they get the number one overall pick they should trade it to the highest bidder and take some contracts of their books.

But I think he has to show he is a great leader, not only in good times, but in bleak times, like right now.

19. JFjets

JFjets New Member

I believe they also have Louis Murphy, one of those Florida receivers whom the Tebow haters said was such a good, future NFL receiver that he made Tebow look really good when he was actually really bad. How's he doing for Carolina (his 2nd team since entering the NFL)? If he was so good at Florida that he made Tebow look all-world, then surely he is a top-notch offensive weapon for Newton, right?

Oh, I think that is very far from a foregone conclusion, or even a strong likelihood.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

So wins are QB stats or team stats?

The age old questions. Everyone does it. When it favors your argument, wins are QB stats. When it hurts your argument, wins are team stats. (or vice versa) Obviously it lies in the middle, but that doesn't lead to much discussion