E3 2008

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jtuds, Jul 15, 2008.

1. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Microsoft has been buying their way through the video game industry from day one. They brought absolutely NOTHING to the table innovation-wise other than Xbox Live, and they're probably hurting games like FFXIII since graphics and content might have to be toned down considerably since the 360 doesn't have BlueRay or the power of the PS3. Had FFXIII been exclusive to the PS3, we would be seeing the absolute extent to which the PS3 and BlueRay can be used in gaming.

Argh. I hate Microsoft.

2. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Sure there was. I got it for Fable. There was also a superior online sevice, and personally I can't stand the Playstation controllers.

3. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

4. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Fable was great and Halo, love it or hate it, set the standard for multi-player combat and co-op modes.

Technologically, it doesn't have the guts the PS3 has, but in games that come out for both systems, the 360 is still showing the graphical edge.

The major problem the PS3 is having and will continue to have is that the only ones making full use of the PS3's capabilities are the exclusive PS3 developers. In other words, Madden 09 will look the same on both systems regardless of whether it could be better on the PS3 or not. The same will go for Call of Duty 5.

Sony's dilemma is that proving graphical superiority and gameplay superiority will require numerous blockbuster exclusives because it won't be proven on games released for both systems. However, all the good concepts and all the sports licenses are already taken and are being done on PS3 and 360......so, the opportunities are few for new games that can prove this technological advantage.

#25 Jtuds, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  6. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

7. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Very true. I can't believe they lost Final Fantasy since that was supposed to be THE GAME that would test PS3's BluRay capabilities. Now they're going to dumb-down the game, so to speak, in order to deliver the same experience for both systems. It really is a huge shame.

9. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Man, i got bored watching that gameplay after about 10 seconds. I prefer playing my old Mario and Mega Man games on SNES again, than touching this.

So when BlueRay is that superior to the HD DVD, why was there that battle for over a year between the two. OK BlueRay won, but if it would do that much better than the HD DVD, there wouldn´t have been a battle, and MS wouldn´t have used it in the first place. I don´t think that FFXIII will take any damage from beeing on the XBox, also. The only looser is Sony.

btw, i hate that "exclusive" shit. If you make a good game, get it on all systems, that can suport it, don´t sell yourself. All this Console-war really sucks for us gamers.

10. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Of course the game will suffer. it now has to be playable for those who did not have it before, and therefore it will lack depth. Think about it....you could never put an exact port of MGS4 on XBOX....they have never had the game, they'd have no clue what's goign on....no idea of the back-story or anything.

As for Blu-Ray, you think 1 year is a long battle? That's Nothing! It's an open market, so of course HD DVD was going to test the waters. WHen you do that world wide, you have to ship the product everywhere, secure contracts with film-makers, print and promote the discs, etc. That was all done and abandoned after 1 year of direct competition with Blu-Ray. If you look at competition in the economy, a one year victory is domination. Beta took longer to lose, the Nintendo GameCube hung around more than a year, and the examples can go on and on.

You seem to be sayign that HD DVD would have never been attempted if Blu-Ray was so good, and that would have proven Blu-Ray's value to you. But the opportunity to compete is wide open. I could invent superdisks tomorrow and try to beat out Blu-Ray and it could easily take over a year for that venture to be considered a failure. One year is nothing, HD DVD got dominated, and don't think that the investors just decided they like the colour Blue, they would have researched and looked at the supporting technology and future prospects and they chose HD DVD was not the way to go. So, there is a major difference, and Blu-Ray's victory in that competition is the proof.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The games do suffer, because there will be no reason for the developers at SquareEnix to utilize Sony's BluRay technology for FFXIII since one does not exist on the 360. They're not going to make one version completely different than the other, so they'll balance them both. This is vastly different from the game first being released on the PS3 and arriving on the 360 as a port.

The reason why Square went with the Playstation in '97 instead of Nintendo was because the Playstation offered the technology that coinsided with Square's vision for the future of the franchise. The PS2 followed suit, and by then there was no reason to switch.

12. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Ive heard FFXIII is being deveolped on a PC to begin with. What is built on the machines they use will be ported to the PS3 and 360. Different than using a PS3 development system. This is just something i heard. Doesnt matter, not a fan.

13. rillo

rillo New Member

Fable 2 and GOW2....FTW!!!!!

14. devilonthetownhallroof

I just reserved Fable 2 yesterday. The first one was disappointing compared to all the hype, but just on its' own merits it was amazing. I can't wait for the sequel.

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I heard there will be a The Dark Knight game, can anyone confirm this?

17. devilonthetownhallroof

I'm sure there will be, and I'm almost equally sure it will be nearly unplayable.

18. The Dark Knight

Judging by previous Batman titles, I agree. But the next gen Batman games have potential. Lego Batman looks sweet and The Dark Knight game, judging by the movie, will have fun gameplay you would think.

19. devilonthetownhallroof

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE a good Batman game, but games based on specific movies are almost always terrible.

20. The Dark Knight

I agree, since they are usually rushed to have a similar release date to the film, but The Dark Knight's release date is still not set and I have heard it is now being aimed towards Christmas with the dvd release. If so, that means they are taking time to make it good. Or possibly it was so horrible that they could not release it with the movie and are now tweaking it to make it a very bad game instead of a horrible one. :)