E Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Twombles, Apr 29, 2006.

1. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

He's rated 28th best safety on NFL Draft Countdown and as a late round/FA.

This pick was incredibly stupid for two reasons:

a) We didn't need to draft a safety at all, after drafting Rhodes, Coleman, Washington, Maddox, the past few years. If anything we needed a veteran
    b) If we were going to take a safety, it's gotta be Bing or Simpson, I mean come on I know the analysists aren't always right but this guy was ranked way behind Simpson and Bing EVERYWHERE. It'll be just like Pouha last year, a guy we completely reach for who is ranked very low and will turn out to be a wasted 3rd round pick.

2. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

Last year NE took Logan Mankins in the 1st round. All the talking heads were shocked, they all had him going way later. Guess what, he was on the field for more plays than any other rookie by far and ultra consistent on the Oline. IT DON"T MEAN SHIT UNTIL THEY ALL LINE UP AND PLAY... Smith could be a stud Safety, we don't know yet.

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well I am shocked although he was one of our best defenders at MSU last year, he is a good tackler and I guess Mangini sees something in him

4. Warrior

Warrior Member

Rhodes, Coleman, Washington, Maddox were not drafted by the present FO. We have no idea how they view these guys.

Did NFLdraft Countdown meet with Smith and see for themselves what kind of player he was? - the Jets did.

Smith was ranked behind "EVERYEWHERE" except the one board that mattered the most - the Jets board.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The LAST thing we needed was ANOTHER safety. Boobway drafted FIVE of them the last three years (we'll probably take ANOTHER one tomorrow).

6. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

remember guys, we really havent been accustum to diamond in the rough type picks or any moves that took serious calculated thought in a fairly long period of time. Let that soak in for a bit.

I am not saying that the safety or the LB were that sort of pick. But remember there are picks that good FO's make that dont look good, but then they turn out to be Tom Brady and Ben Rothlesburger.

I am going to give tangini the benifit of the doubt. I like the first 3 picks a lot.

7. jaybo1015

jaybo1015 New Member

E Smith is next Jon McGraw

pathetic is what i trying to say here...

Darnell Bing, Ko Simpson, Greg Blue, Avant, Orien Harris, Rodrique Wright, Zematis, just to name a few of guys i wanted iver e smith.

we blew it right there..... up to then it was a damn solid draft

#107 jaybo1015, Apr 30, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  8. Warrior

Warrior Member

Why are these guys a better fit for the Jets? (without reference to a draft guru site).

9. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Ya, the staffs of all 32 NFL teams are in over their heads. Of course they are, theyre all passing on a player that you have minimal knowledge of.

10. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

These two guys remind me of when the Dolphins drafted Zach Thomas. He had the same knocks on him, but all he did was perform. At every leve,. I am not saying either will be as good, but we drafted these guys on their skill and performance playing football. Draft gurus and guides "grade" players by putting a lot of stock in measurables. These can be important obviously to transition to the next level, but Michael Irvin has been harping on this all day. paraphrasing: "Draft people who are good football players and know how to play the game". These guys are clearly that. Schelegel was second on his team in tackles with Carpenter and Hawk as the other two LBs. That says a lot. Smith led his team in tackles as a hybrid safety/lb/corner. They are system picks, and football picks and depth picks, but not necessarily individual impact picks or highly "graded" picks. The additional skill, leadership, depth and football smarts of these guys, could bring our defense to a new level. We will have to see. None of use know for sure. I think the draft has been excellent.

11. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

We have andre maddox, why the hell eric smith?

We could of picked a WR.

12. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

When the hell did you become an expert. Should we listen to your opinion cause you have 10 000 posts and not listen to his opinion cause he has less. Get off your god damn high horse

13. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

Yea they reached two round for Mankins. This piece of shit was not even going to get drafted....plus Bing was on the board......WTF....mindless

14. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I don't like this pick. I think Mangini is going a little overboard with his love for "tough character guys". We need ballplayers, not a bunch of "Rudys".

I am a Michigan State fan and saw a lot of games. Smith is a pretty pedestrian player if you ask me and State's secondary last year was an embarrassment.

15. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

there is a difference between going 1 or 2 rounds ahead of what you are supposed to go this dude was supposed to be drafted.

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

blue is that hard hiter at safety we can use. but he too is also slow could be a future olb.

Zematis is a stud he is versitile can play cb or safety

17. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

this is what new coaches do. i bet you next year after he realze he wasted his entire 3rd on special teamers. he will get off the trip of sayin he can coach anyone into a player.

18. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

that wasnt me posting btw i hate it i wanted bing or simpson

19. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Where do you find this crap?
    And why do you keep digging up the past?

20. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Where the hell did this come from?