E Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Twombles, Apr 29, 2006.

1. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Actually, receiving a pay check, like Mike Ditca, Bradway, etc is what clearly qualifies a person for genius.

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Tatupa didnt run a 4.9 40. he isnt limited as far as range. did you watch anthony highlight did you see how hard it was for him to get sideline to sideline.

3. tlef316

tlef316 Member

they obviously have concerns, but they also have upside. Smith does not and could have been had at 5PM tomorrow.

4. Warrior

Warrior Member

Based on who's draft board? Do you have any idea what any of the NFL team's draft boards look like? Ko Simpson would have been value because some draft board "guru" says so. What matters if the guy contributes to the team. Do you have any clue of any valuepicks in the 2004 draft?

5. Jetsandcanes

Jetsandcanes Active Member

what?!!! Schlegel and Smith weren't on mel kiper's or some draft websites 3rd round mock draft?!!!! we must fire the whole front office immediately jeeze these guys are really in over there head!!!

/give me a break.

6. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

All of these players you people are crying for will be there tomorrow. 32 teams did not pick them for 3 rounds. Maybe that tells you something.

They are drafting like NE. They are drafting for the players they are targeting and their board, not on some websites or ESPN employee's rankings. The Jets worked out and evaluated more players, around 450 I think, than any other team in the NFL. They saw something in these guys they liked and targeted them. Simple.

#86 dabrowsk1, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Fine, throw out the Coleman pick and look at the Tatupu example...

8. Warrior

Warrior Member

What's scares me though is that Kiper flew out to meet with these guys personally and tested their skills and how they think under pressure.
    Seriously though, I don't know why Mangini and Mr T wasted their time interviewing and testing 450 candidates. I would have simply picked up a copy of Kiper's book and draft accordingly and then the Jets would get an A+ for value. And then while the draft was going on I would simply ask the guys on this board what to do.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Maybe, but I bet you thought you could take Tamba Hali, for example, at 29. Hali wasn't scheduled to be a mid-first rounder according to most experts, but KC took him to secure him. Nobody knows when other teams would have taken them.

I'm not saying they're great picks; they're probably not. But you guys are treating them as wastes when Schliegel can be a starter in the 3-4 as an ILB. I don't know enough about Smith to make an accurate judgment.

10. Jetsandcanes

Jetsandcanes Active Member

warrior i hope you know i was kidding

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

From Tatupu's combine last year:
    Combine Results Pro Day Results
    Combine Invite: yes
    Height: 5117
    Weight: 238
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.83
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.78
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.63
    Wonderlic: 29
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
    Vertical Jump: 35
    Broad Jump: 9'5"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.21
    3-Cone Drill: 7.32

So basically, Tatupu is slightly smaller and slightly faster than Schliegel. I've seen Schliegel play; he gets to the ball. I like him a lot as a player. Do I wish we could have gotten him in round 4 or maybe round 5? Sure. But you know what? If the Jets like a player because of these reasons, other teams probably do, too. And if other teams feel that way, they'll take him and screw us over. Nothing wrong with securing the man you want in rounds 3 or later.

Schliegel may not be the fastest (and he's certainly not), but he made a lot of tackles, he's a good leader, and he's a very smart player. He's basically Tedy Bruschi without the coverage skills.

12. floridajet

floridajet Member

Here is a quote from a Michigan State message board about Eric Smith.

"He was not very highly recruited coming out of high school in Ohio. I believe he chose MSU over a couple Ivy Leaguers. That however does not speak to an inferior ability as much as it does his intelligence. Eric is a coach on the field, understanding all assignments and making sure his teammates do as well. Intelligence aside, he is a tremendous hitter and sure tackler. What he lacks in pure speed he makes up in use of angles. It will be interesting to see what role he plays for the Jets. I am very happy for him to have been drafted, particularly on day one."

Make that what you will, but we are definitly drafting intelligence over "names" who want the money their "name" deserves.

13. jfhjr71

jfhjr71 New Member

14. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Guys like Bing and Ko Simpson aren't even on the Jets board. C'mon, Tangini has said it a million times - smart, high-character players.

Here's what PFW says about the 2 safeties everyone wishes they had:

Bing - "Not very smart, can play undisciplined and loose focus"

Simpson - "Did not interview well with teams at the combine" plus he only completed 4 college semesters and also is not the brightest player out there.

15. DGrab

DGrab New Member

16. Tight

Tight Active Member

Im going to give our new front office a chance. They might have saw something in these two players that we did'nt. Remember rumor was we were the guys asking the tough questions. really finding out about a player. I like all the pics, becuase I trust these guys. They have'nt given me a reason not to.

17. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

Ko Simpson wouldn't get picked by us if there were 50 rounds. He's not what our staff is looking for.

18. Warrior

Warrior Member

So was I - I was trying (obviously unsuccessfully) to ram your point home.

19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

thats to bad cause you dont nwws to be a rocket scientist to play football. but since we want scholars we got to take all they guys that cant run. just great. We were a slow team before the draft and frankly we didnt do anything to improve team speed after day 1.

20. Warrior

Warrior Member

The Jets improved their football speed, but not their track speed.