E Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Twombles, Apr 29, 2006.

1. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

we could have got a projected first rounder. instead we got a late to undrafted free agent.

2. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

horrible pick hopefully Tannenbaum can learn from it and Redeem himself in this draft.

3. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

that was the worst 3rd round in jets history.

4. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

why not a NT or TE??? ugh

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

By who? Maybe they are reaches, and they probably are slight reaches. But they obviously value them highly. Just because Kiper and NFLDC have Bing rated really highly doesn't mean that Tangini thinks he is the best fit for our team.

Someone who was truly in over his head would just grab the #1 guy on Kiper's list in every round. That takes no skill at all. Even I could do that.

6. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Safety

You guys ever heard of depth at a particular position?So what happens if Coleman and /or Rhodes go down? I guess two of you doubters here will back up Washington and Maddox. Plus just because we do not draft your favorite players or name players doesnt mean that our picks will not be good players.I do not know how many of you have scouted these players.If someone sat behind and questioned your job i wonder how you will take it.We are fans, not pro scouts , talent evaluators or GM's So keep our opinions, which are largely based on watching tv in our pockets and not act like we know what we are talking about.

7. amliv15

amliv15 New Member

Maybe tangini sees something in these players, thats all good and stuff, but the fact is we coulda gotten these guys in the sixth or seventh round and gotten more talented players with starting potential in the third round, very, very frustrating.

8. Khan

Khan Active Member

and remember, we did work out over 400 guys, there has to be a reason why he chose these ones, they most likely did so well he marked them down, and is going based off of that, so he's not drafting on value? so what, if he gets who he wants to use on his team, things should work out a lot better. Bradway took Pouha for example, probably because we needed a NT as one of our biggest needs, and he was the best "prospect" for that in terms of size

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Ernest Shazor and Antaaj Hawthorne were projected first rounders.

Just because some draft site says it doesn't mean it's true. There's a reason that the people making the picks are where they are, and the people who criticize them are where they are.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

You guys need to chill out. This is not about drafting the best athlete anymore. It's about drafting smart versatile players who can get better. So we didn't draft Darnell Bing??? Maybe he's dumb as sh$t and won't improve. Just because the experts don't say these two guys are first day picks doesn't mean sh$t. if they were experts they would be working for a team. Try to give the front office the benefit of the doubt for a minute before you jump off a bridge.

11. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

I love the first three picks, I even like Shlegal, he sounds very uch like the Typical 3-4 inside linebacker, He'll compliment Vilma and Kasell nicely. However, I do not understand the Eric Smith pick at all! As far as I know we didn't need a safety, and he was definitly not the best player available...not even close. I guess I'll still continue to trust the front office and hope he plays up to his 3rd round status.

#51 YoungJet, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that part of Bradway resignng was he got to make the 2 3rd round picks.......

13. amliv15

amliv15 New Member

this team is not exactly in a position to draft for depth, we still need a lot of positions filled

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Scott Wright's 28th rated safety. I don't really understand this move. There are a bunch of safeties better than him including Ko Simpson, Darnell Bing, Dwayne Slay, Greg Blue and Calvin Lowry. He's like an Erik Coleman clone in that he gets a lot of tackles because he reacts on the run too soon making him late on coverage.

15. JetTalk

JetTalk New Member

Even if these last 2 picks are the "better fit" for our team........why not trade down and just take the mlater then......clearly no one else is interested in drafting these two players. How the hell do you pass on an impact player like Ko Simpson.........and Schlegel.......................what is he all about, hes slower than my grandma...........shoulda held onto the 71st and took Gocong like Jabba woulda liked.

16. Buttle

Buttle New Member

This debate kind of reminds of the Jeff Lageman pick. Lageman was a guy projected to go in the 4th round that Mike Hickey chose in the 1st round. The point here is not whether Lageman, Smith, Clemens or Shlegal are good players but whether we reached, misjudged and took them to early. Its just poor strategy and a waste to take players 1-3 rounds before anyone else would take them which it appears is what the Jets did on three of their draft picks today.

The new FO clearly does not appear ready for primetime. Either they know something everyone else doesen't know or thier age and inexpereince is showing itself. Also don't forget how bad the Jets got taken on the trade down with Philly.

17. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

no matter how you put it.we draft two late rd prospects in the 3rd. we reached and we didnt even get athletes. we got two slow guys. we didnt get value in the 3rd at all.

#57 hydro51, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  18. Khan

Khan Active Member

you can't just make a trade down, there has to be someone interested in trading up, and with the way it's going it seems most teams are taking who they want instead of the high value, although that's usually how the Patriots and a few others do it, this year I think they took the value picks for a change...

19. amliv15

amliv15 New Member

i wouldnt have minded these guys in the seventh round

20. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

True. I mean, just because the FO people get paid to do what we're doing means their random guesses must be 100% right on at all times. Sigh.