dwalsh's Day 1 JETS mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by dwalsh, Nov 25, 2006.

1. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Code:
    [u]Round[/u]       [u]Player[/u]        [u]Position[/u]      [u]School[/u]
    1        Lamaar Woodley      OLB         Michigan
    2a       Amobi Okoye         DT          Louisville
    2b       Brian Leonard       FB          Rutgers
    3        Josh Beekman        OG          Boston College
    feedback?

#1 dwalsh, Nov 25, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  2. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

I'd be doing cartwheels ... how's that for feedback? :grin:

3. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

I'm loving the first 2 rounds, but I'd prefer another defensive player over offensive line in the third. We need more immediate help on D, and then we can get OL depth in the 4th/5th rounds. Adam Carricker is a 300 pound DE for Nebraska, will probably be around in our 3rd down range, and would fill in well in a 3-4 DE role.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You guys know the Jets play the Texans this week right?

Theres your feeback. :up:

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Woodley is the pick I want. I hope we land him.

I like the idea of DT and that Louisville frontline is great even without Dumervil. Kerry Rhodes will recognize this guy too. Nice pick.

Im sorry but I hate the 2nd 2nd round pick because I feel its reaching. Not that Im saying a Fb isnt important, but we have so much other needs here. Id love a WR potentially like say Steve Smith of USC or possibly Jeff Samardjza of ND. You know a 3rd WR because it all but likely that McCareins is gone and Dwight is nothing more than a 4th WR at best. Leonard will probably be there in the 3rd guys.

As for the 3rd rounder, I always like the BC OL so I cant argue. I however would not mind Garrett Wolfe around this round though. He screams Jerious Norwood of last year, which would be great for this Jets team.

6. Tight

Tight Active Member

I like, leonard would be playing hb if we drafted him correct ?

secondly, do we really need a dt if robertson keeps it up ? It looks like he's finally getting it, he outplayed olin kruetz.

7. dwalsh

Leonard would probably play an H-Back role. Some FB, some HB, and some TE. He is an excellent blocker, a great reciever, and a great runner as well.

8. dwalsh

What would you guys think of this draft?

1) Jake Long | RT | Michigan
    2a) LaMarr Woodley | OLB | Michigan
    2b) Amobi Okoye | DT | Louisville
    3) Derek Landri | DE | Notre Dame

9. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

OT is not a HUGE issue. Not enough to address 2 drafts in a row while picking OT in the first round.

I wouldn't mind a CB either somewhere up in Day 1 too.

10. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

YOU'RE RIGHT FITM {NOT WRONG}, but it wouldn't bother me cause I'm a big "Super Unit" Guy

I think the Jets hit the Jackpot with Brick and Mangold .. barring injuries I believe those are two cornerstones at LT and C for the next decade .. so there's a part of me that wouldn't mind drafting TOO OUR STRENGTH and trying to build a young "Super Unit" on the O-line

That's a draft philosophy GM's sometimes employ, but its rarely discussed by the fans ... fans mostly focus on drafting for need, but sometimes its not a bad idea to draft too your strength in an effort to create a Super Unit

That's what we would be doing here if we went O-line in RD 1 again

I'm not saying the Jets should go out of their way to do it, but if the obvious BAP just happens to be an OL and the grade disparity {on their board} is fairly substantial between the OL and their next highest rated prospect, I would take the OL and shoot for the Super Unit

Lastly, while its not sexy if you have a GREAT O-LINE you can beat anybody on Any Given Sunday .. if you can consistantly dominate at the LOS week in and week out, you're gonna win a lot of football games, even verses elite defenses

That's the key .. EVEN VERSES ELITE DEFENSES .. You can't beat elite defenses with any degree of consistancy if you have Great skill position players and a mediocre O-line .. doesn't matter what you have at QB, RB, WR and/or TE .. the only way to really beat ELITE DEFENSES with any degree of consistancy is to dominate them at the LOS, where elite defenses are usually strongest, in their front seven ... if you can neutralize or dominate their front sevens, you can beat ELITE DEFENSES with regularity, even if you're just decent at the skill positions

Like the old adage says, these games are won and lost in the trenches ... those Grunts on the O-line have no sex appeal for the fans, but they usually have more to say about winning and losing than anyone else on offense ... without them nothing else works, and with them everything has a chance to succeed

#10 Jabba the Jet, Nov 26, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  11. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

BTW, if by some miracle Sam Baker slides to the Jets its a no brainer .. You drop everything and run that card to the podium

Here's what Anthony Munoz obersved following last years National Championship Game, USC Vs Texas, when asked to comment on some of the Blue-Chip OL's on the field that nite {Winston Justice, Jonathan Scott, etc.}

"That kid Sam Baker was the best O-lineman on the field and he's the best OT prospect I have seen in decades"

That's Anthony Munoz talkin, one of the Greatest OT's who ever lived

12. dwalsh

Sam Baker is a LT though. IMO, its not worth drafting an elite LT prospect, just to move him to the right side. Might as well draft a RT who knows the position well and won't have as big a learning curve as someone who has to learn the position from scratch

13. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I certainly wouldn't mind Jake Long at RT and Brick at LT for the next decade. But I think they will address RT and NT in free agency.

14. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Baker is very familiar with RT, dwalsh

Sam Baker played RT exclusively for Matt Leinart, the lefty

Winston Justice was the LT and Sam Baker was the RT who protected Matt Leinart's blind-side

Last year, when Munoz shared that observation, Baker was the RT

#14 Jabba the Jet, Nov 26, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  15. dwalsh

1 more Day 1 Mock

Code:
     1) LaMarr Woodley  |  OLB |  Michigan
    2a) Dre Moore       |  DE  |  Maryland (kid is an absolute freak.  320 pounds, 4.8 40 time, 30 inch vert)
    2b) Aaron Ross      |  CB  |  Texas
     3) Josh Beekman    |  OG  |  Boston College

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Why are there so many mock drafts in the middle of a playoff run?

17. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

why be in the section of the jets messageboard marked "DRAFT"? Dont come to this section then.