Dustin Keller = BUST (merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

amen.......

2. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

This is what Fox sports had to say about this pick

30. NEW YORK JETS
    TE DUSTIN KELLER, PURDUE - Profile | Highlights
    CZAR'S FRONT OFFICE TAKE: The Jets needed to leave this round with a playmaker and Purdue tight end Dustin Keller was an interesting pick because many thought the Giants wanted to take him at No. 31. Keller is definitely more of a receiver than a blocker. I preferred USC's Fred Davis, but this fifth-year senior has been favorably compared to Indy's Dallas Clark. Keller had seven catches for 101 yards against Ohio State, which means he has enough quickness and speed to take on quality competition. Keller was a wide receiver in high school. The Jets only had to give the Packers a fourth-round pick to move into this spot and that's good value, especially if they messed with the Giants' plans.

3. Klecko10

Klecko10 Member

C'mon... how long have you been a Jets fan?? You actually think Woody is going to solve all our problems at RT?? He's been a RT for 5 games, got benched by Detroit, couldn't control his weight, fizzled out in NE... and oh yeah, he's in his 30s. Faneca is great, but he is also in his 30s. I need to see more from Brick too before I am convinced.

You mean to tell me you think this line is going to be top notch, and be top notch for years to come?

4. Klecko10

Klecko10 Member

I have been a Jets fan for 30 years, don't tell me I know nothing about the team.

I liked the Gholston pick, I do not like the TE pick. You're a coward for telling me to stop posting because I have a different opinion than yours.

My point is I don't have a problem with Keller the person or the player, I don't like the pick for the NYJ at this point, and trading up to get it.

Yeah I was aware of the OL signings... I didn't miss that. If you are completely confident in Damien Woody and feel like the Jets are set there, then good for you. I disagree with you, and you know what, doesn't make me a bad person, doesn't make you a bad person. He's in his 30s, he was benched in Detroit, only played RT for 5 games, fizzled out in NE, and had weight problems. Hopefully he's good this year, but he's getting old. I love Faneca but he's also in his 30s.

Baker might be too slow, but he did make a bunch of tough catches last year. He is not Gates but I feel he is good enough for now. I think he is an underrated TE.

So you blindly agree with every move the Jets make?? I am a huge Jets fan but I can question moves. I have really liked other moves they've made.

That was lame, questioning why I am a fan because I disagreed with one draft pick.

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I'm not going to say he'll be a bust, but I don't like moving up for him. If we were going to throw away draft picks by moving up, it should've been for a better player.

6. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Tony Gonzalez doesn't rank up there in terms of blocking TE's, I'd settle for a TG lite :)

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Think you mean a FB, and the guy can't block supposedly???

I think the noise from radio city last night said it all about the pick.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yeah agree with you...Hey, Joey Harrington and David Carr were a bust few yrs back, so why arent any other QBs a bust in the first?

Examples were fine but the logic he's trying to make is the dumbest of all time....

9. SUorangefootball

SUorangefootball New Member

The same way the other 50 picks passed on him moron. What do yo know about Talent evaluation? A few writers call Devin Thomas the best WR and suddenly he is? He had 1 year at Michigan State and was considered to be a huge project pick that would most likely not contribute year one. Why can't people trust the folks who are hired to run these things!

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

To answer your question...

Because I think we do a better job evaluating talent...We have great knowledge as we do a lot of reading on the internet. We simply know more than the FO cuz FO only has 10 minutes for the pick and we do our 'talent finding duty' 4 months in advance.

Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me....Remember how Pats fooled us to get Matt light? Any idea how that worked out? Yeah, this time, we wanted to be sure to get our guy and that no one picks him ahead of us. It was the Giants who wanted him and thas we moved to the 30th, not the 29th, and not the 32nd.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

For those who say he's a big target, he's not. He's only 6'2". For those who say he's a TE, he's not. He can't and won't block.

What is his purpose? Other than to collect first round money?

12. KingLedg

KingLedg New Member

I hope this is a joke.

13. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

How is Winston Justice working out for Philly? You realize all the top-tier talent at OT was gone by our second pick right? There were 7 OTs taken off the board by pick 30. So should we just draft one for the sake of drafting one, when the guy probably wouldn't be able to crack the starting lineup for a season or two and may not even be any good?

Or did you want them to draft a guard? What remaining guards had a first or even second round grade? Only 1 guard went in the second round. Meanwhile they just shelled out $20 million guaranteed for one.

Linebacker? They just drafted a linebacker WITH THE ($*%ing 6TH OVERALL PICK and signed another one through free agency in March!! So they go ahead and draft another LB with their second pick? Are you kidding me?

#193 Kris 15, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  14. Kris 15

I actually agree with you, I'm a Hardy fan and I don't like that he ended up in Buffalo. But with the way the WRs slid in this draft maybe there's something else working here. Fact is regardless of that a couple of these guys will turn out to be really good. But that said I still like the Keller pick, and remain optimistic about it.

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

The same thing happened to Harris though last year. I don't agree that none of the WRs aren't good enough.
    Basically we have a Big WR who is a TE only in name.

My thoughts too.

16. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

I agree to part of your post.....we don't know if this is a good pick or not yet....but as I stated in another thread....why do they keep throwing away mid-round picks because they're worried another team wants "their guy"....

17. indy35

indy35 New Member

hey guys colts fan here, but i also am a current purdue student so i have had the pleasure of watching dustin keller for many games. i was suprised to come here and see that so many people did not like the pick. You guys are going to absolutely love him once you see him in the games. He has wide receiver speed, but the first guy is never able to bring him down. His work ethic is also very good, he showed up on campus weighing 185 and is leaving at 242 without losing any speed. He is going to bring a lot of attention to the middle of the field opening things up for the outside receivers. I know a lot of people knock his blocking, and while he doesnt really have the height and weight to be a dominating blocker, he is ridiculously strong and will work his ass of to make sure he carries out blocking assignments. i think that nfl coaching will allow him to be a servicable blocker, but his value is in being very quick while also being very strong. like i said you might hate the pick now, but when you see him in a game, he may just become your favorite player much like he did with many purdue fans. Good luck in the coming season. beat the pats.

Also there is a web site that has quite a few dustin keller highlights on it, but since i'm new i cant post the link. just go to spoilermaker.com and go to the videos section.

18. Kris 15

Like I said, a few of them will probably turn out to be very good, and my preference was Hardy in round 2.

19. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

....how can you build through the draft (Tangini philosiphy) ....if you only get a couple of picks each year?????????

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

you really think tangini has a bad draft record?wow