DT Shaun Rogers cut by Browns

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeHoncho, Feb 9, 2011.

1. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

First of all a lot of you are operation under the assumption Big Jenks comes back. If and when the cap is re-instituted he's going to have to take a MASSIVE...and I mean over half his salary massive pay cut. With the way Pouha played there's no way you can justify keeping Jenks and his fragility on the roster at his current cap hit which I believe is 6 million.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Jenkins should just retire, but if not the Jets should cut him. He's not worth much more than a $1MM contract with incentives IMO.

We should absolutely bring in this fat pig if we have a chance. I'm sure Rex will get a good scouting report from his brother.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Part of the problem with reaching a decision on such options as Rogers is we don't know what is going to happen with Jenkins. Moving parts like Rogers becoming available may force the FO to reach its own decision about Jenkins, which could end up being counterproductive.

Uncertainty about Jenkins future I think argues for taking time, which in turn might lead the Jets to address DL issues in the draft, using a high pick to bring youth to the line. Even without Jenkins, the Jets can hold the fort with current personnel, and look to the future with a high draft pick on DL.

Regarding Rogers himself, as others have noted I have to wonder what Rob Ryan thinks of him, not starting him last year. Plus 5.5mil sounds like a lot. Unless he wants to restructure and come to the Jets for siginificantly less, I don't see this happening.

And ftr Ellis will be back, so all those here assuming he's gone are wrong. I think.

4. Big Blocker

That strategy is one I was alluding to in talking about the FO making its own decision about Jenkins's future.

The potential downside to that I think depends on just how bad his injury is, and how likely it is that he may be able to return. I understand the way he got hurt so quickly this year following up on his not playing much in 09 argues for pessimism, but I just don't know.

The downside would be that Jenkins is cut, in fact does come back and plays well for someone else. If that happens, how is signing Rogers an upgrade? It isn't.

5. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Off-topic but if the Browns are going about normal business and gutting half their defense without knowing the CBA then what the fuck is Tanny waiting for to cut Gholston??

I'm still pissed we didn't make him take a bus home from Pittsburgh...

6. WhiteShoeWillis

As if the Browns are a team we should strive to be like. Cutting Gholston hardly saves us anything in the grand scheme.

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Jay Glazer tweeted bout Shaun Rogers

8. WhiteShoeWillis

Sometimes you have to take calculated risks. Just because they don't turn out to your advantage doesn't mean they were bad decisions.

9. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Savings in cap money: $402,000

Savings in Jet fan aggravation: Priceless

10. WhiteShoeWillis

You'll get over it.

11. Big Blocker

It's not just the risk, it's also the money. I concede I don't know how Jenkins's situation compares with what would happen if Rogers came here, which could involve Rogers agreeing to less money. I agree with you point, but was merely saying there is some downside to cutting Jenkins. If it were a clear case of what to do with him the Jets would have made some move already, I think.

In fairness to Rogers, his ability to stay healthy is a huge plus, so there's that.

THe larger point is I think the Jets need more youth on the DL. THat doesn't mean that they can't both use a pick on the DL and get Rogers or somebody like him, just that signing someone like Rogers does not seem like a panacea to me.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

If we sign Rogers it will be because Rex liked what he heard from his brother enough to make the move. Of course you still need to get younger, but we need to get younger across the front 7 - can't hurt to have a disruptive guy like Rogers who can play NT or DE. Especially if we cut Jenkins and he comes back at a big discount in a rotation.

I highly doubt anyone will be throwing big money at Jenkins if he comes back.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

If Rob likes Shaun he's headed to Dallas... a guy like him is exactly what they need.

If instead Rob doesn't like Rogers he's not coming to NY...

14. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

He's a perfect fit as the Jenks replacement. He should be cheap, he's played in 3-4 schemes, he's a better fit on a veteran team than a young one, he doesn't get hurt that much, and you'd think that he should be able to get motivated a little more playing for Rex in big Jets games than he did playing for Mangini at Cleveland.

EDIT: Dallas doesn't need him, they have a good nose tackle.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

The Cowboys already have a very good NT in Ratliff.

16. Big Blocker

Including the Jets, which would likely mean Rogers will cost significantly more than bringing Jenkins back.

But I agree with your first paragraph.

The larger picture here is how and when the Jets go about getting younger on the DL. Who will be available in the draft. Whether other needs can be met with high picks.

With Jenkins and Rogers essentially playing the same role in run stuffing on a team that seems to need more of a pass rush, and imo should bring Ellis back as well, how will the Jets have all of Jenkins, Rogers, Ellis, DeVito, Pouha and some high draft pick on the roster on Opening Day?

Imo cutting Ellis and bringing in Rogers is not the way to go. Cutting Jenkins is more likely, but...

17. WhiteShoeWillis

You don't have to cut Ellis. You cut Jenkins and re-sign him to a small incentive based contract. Both Jenkins and Rogers (together or individually) would help the pass rush immensely and could be part of a great rotation.

18. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Cut ellis? He's a free agent.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

Right, my bad. The sentiment remains the same.

20. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

The issue is that Ellis was pretty good last year and we might not be able to re-sign him (the cap might be pretty tight especially if we re-sign more than one or two of the four big free agents) so Tanny really has to be on the lookout for cheap good DL help.