DT Shaun Rogers cut by Browns

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeHoncho, Feb 9, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

That's the great part. You pair him with Pouha and you have a similar situation to what the Ravens operate with, albeit with lesser talent. You have someone who can spell your NT because of his size, but also play DE so the bulk at both positions really makes a difference freeing up your other playmakers.

2. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

To begin with NTs don't have to be 350 pounds. Pouha weighs 325. Jenkins weighs somewhere around 340-360 (his weight as listed on the Jets' roster), but that's probably why he has blown out the same knee in successive years. If he got down to 320, he might be able to stay healthy. The top NT prospects (in no particular order) for this year's draft are as follows:

Stephen Paea - 311
    Phillip Taylor - 340
    Jerrell Powe - 320
    Sione Fua - 306
    Ian Williams - 305

So NTs don't have to be that fat, just strong, have sound technique and be able to demand a double team. One that's lighter, could also possibly get more push/penetration on passing downs, which would make the pass rush more effective.

In your last paragraph, you make my case for me. Why would the Jets want to bring in Rogers, when they like Tevaseau, Dixon, Gilbert and Pitoitua? Why would they want to curtail those young players' development or at least find out if they're gonna ever be able to contribute, and if so, why waste a year or two of their careers playing Rogeres in front of them. Those guys are younger, quicker and cheaper, and that gives Tanny more money to spend on re-signing guys like Harris, Edwards, Ellis, Holmes and Cromartie (in that order). I'd rather take the money they'd have to pay Rogers and re-sign one of those guys or try to sign a Kamerion Wimbley to upgrade the pass rush.

I also don't think Rogers would be willing to sign on the cheap. He may know he's not gonna get a big deal, but won't be happy with losing that $5.5 million, and is gonna try to get as much as he can.

3. ........

........ Trolls

If you think Rogers and Wimbley are going to be signing similar contracts, you're nuts. Ditto for every single one of our FAs you mentioned.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Or a 4 man line with a combination of 2/3 of Jenkins/Pouha/Rogers inside. Ridiculous push inside.

5. ........

........ Trolls

If Jenkins is planning to come back, there's no way we sign Rogers.

6. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Rodgers played for Rex's brother Rob last season. Rob didn't start Rodgers for a reason, I am sure that if Rob didn't think he was good enough to start for the Brown's, then Rex probably will not want waste the money to pick him up, even if he is a large body.

7. JetLife

JetLife Banned

lets gets rodgers!

8. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I didn't say nor do I think they'll sign for the same money. I said use the money towards signing Wimbley. If I was unclear, my bad. Wimbley is a younger player who will contribute 10x more than Rogers could dream of contributing.

Try clarifying and making sure you read correctly before insulting someone.

9. 624

624 Banned

Jenkins-Rogers-Pouha-Pryce or Ellis 4 man front

/maddensturbate

10. ........

........ Trolls

What did I misread? Here was your statement:

I responded appropriately. IF you believe they sign for the same amount as Rogers, you're nuts. Apparently you don't, so there was no applicable insult.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that. Jenkins is going to restructure. His cap hit won't be that bad, the staff should and will be preparing as if he won't last all season, and many (myself included) would be surprised if Jenks does last. Also, Rogers' value has dropped since his last contract. It's possible, unlikely considering our FA status, but possible that we sign him.

12. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Rob Ryan knows everything possible about Shaun Rodgers. Rex has already put a call in, and chances are Rex already knows deep down if he even wants to go after Rodgers.

So while Rex knows what he's thinking regarding Rodgers (his brother coached him all of last season), we'll have to wait and see.

13. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

hahaahahaahahahahaa nice

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

R-o-g-e-r-s

15. MK1

MK1 Member

@NickSpano: With Abe Elam a FA and Brett Ratliff already cut, Browns ONLY have C Alex Mack left to show for the Mark Sanchez trade.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

For really cheap, maybe. But we don't need another over the hill DL. We need to get young at the position. Jenkins will be 32 at the start of the season while Shaun Rogers will be 32 by next month as well. Pouha is already 32. Do we really need three 32 year old NTs? This DL needs to get younger.

The ONLY way I see Rogers coming to the Jets is if Jenkins doesn't restructure his contract and we release him. It would be for financial reasons imo. Although it helps now that we would have leverage trying to renegotiate with Jenkins. Three season, 23 games, 3.5 sacks. Not worth keeping at that rate.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

this is how you fleece a team.

18. alljetsallday

alljetsallday New Member

sign the big man

19. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

he isnt a permanent solution but he could be a nice stop gap up the middle for a yr

20. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Jenks and Rogers are the types of players that need to be used sparingly. I think they could have a nice similar role on this team. Basically, run-stuffing NT's. We're not going to get 40 snaps a game from Jenks. He's too fragile. So using Jenks and Rogers 25 snaps a game would be much better.

To me, this is a no-brainer. The DL is typically a rotational position, where you need 6-7 guys that play a decent amount of snaps. We have these experienced guys under contract:

DeVito
    Pouha
    Jenkins

We're going to need a lot more bodies. Could 3-4 of our young guys work out? Possibly, especially if we draft someone. But we need another 3-4 guys and our draft philosophy has always been to go into the draft with no glaring needs so we can take the best player. Rogers is the type of player that can be good for flexibility. You can line up Jenkins and Rogers in the middle and go to a 4-3 look. You can rotate them so they're both fresh. You have a backup in case Jenks goes down. If he comes for a decent price, why wouldn't you take him?

I'll say this. A bunch of other 3-4 teams are going to give him a good look (Bills, Texans, etc)