Drop off of WR Talent from 1st round to 2nd round

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rohirrim665, Mar 30, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not sure what's going on but glad to see you post again, even though we probably have vehemently disagreed with each other in the past. The Buffalo model is exactly what I think we should and will try to replicate. They found serviceable OL in free agency that can play now and down the road if needed then made some day 2 picks to work towards the future. It's fascinating, because we all know that Douglas is a former OL guy and wants to rebuild that first and foremost but we also hope that he doesn't have tunnel vision and sees what Lamb/Jeudy bring to the table which is arguably just as much as an OL.

I think Sam can get by with the "good enough" OL this year while we spend day 2 picks on OL that develop for the future. Sam extends plays and makes plays, but he needs someone to make plays with. We don't have that right now and to me, that's more troubling.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

First of all, it's great to see you back here. I enjoy reading your posts and the insight you provide.

Secondly, I believe the OL needs at least an OT, and the skill positions need at least 2 WR's and 1 RB in addition to what's already on the roster. It won't matter if we have prime Randy Moss when Sam's running for his life every other play. It also won't matter if we have 5 all pros on the OL only to settle for mediocre and below average skill position players. A balance needs to be struck.

boozer32, NYJetsO12, PJ4Ever and 4 others like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I mean the Jets don't have Dante Scarnecchia or Mike Munchak coaching up their offensive line. I see your point, I think it works both ways. A lot of good receivers can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I think they have the potential to be more than average.

If the Jets just draft weapons, we may not be any better than the Browns were last year.

Hope all is well man by the way.

Brook! and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Most of those rookie WR's you named came out of the gate strong. I picked up McLaurin after Week 1 and he had some big games right away. D. Thomas is fine but he is instilling fear in no one. Don't automatically assume a rookie WR can't have a big impact especially with the spread offenses of today.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Jones and Johnson are open when they’re not open. You also can run screens and slants and play action.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Hey Kurt, nice to hear from you! I didn't know your current job precluded posting here, but thanks for "stopping by".

I hear what you're saying, and you know that I've been pushing for offensive skill help for years. I'm torn over the choice between an elite prospect like Jeudy (me preference)/Lamb or one of the OL, but based on that Reddit post - and I admit it's not necessarily scientific - in my anecdotal experience his conclusions are sound: it's harder to find top OL help after Round 1 than it is to find top WR talent. Does that mean JD MUST take one of the top OL at 11? No. If he doesn't think whoever falls to him (because not all 4 will be there, and all 4 may even be taken by then, though unlikely), then I don't think he should - or would - just take an OL anyway. And if he chooses to go for Jeudy or Lamb or Suggs at 11, I'm not going to cry. The ONE thing that would make me distrust him and perhaps even end my fan career would be him taking a CB or other defensive player with his first pick - and that includes even if he trades back. As far as I'm concerned, he needs to focus on the "O", and I wouldn't be unhappy if EVERY pick was on "O".

Again, great to hear from you!

boozer32, NYJetsO12, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

doens't work. Defenses adjust to it. you can't scheme around a bad o-line. and as good as those 2 are, it's not like they catch 100% of balls thrown their way regardless of coverage. it's not madden or 2k football. it's real life. you can't depend on chucking up a ball for grabs every play.

8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment. Personally I would prefer several good CBs than one superstar CB coupled with subpar CBs; ditto for receivers

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well, even our terrible offensive line was still part of 7 wins. If the Jets have improved 3 positions on the offensive line, and you get another year of development from Chuma Edoga, you’re edging towards a middling line. It’s not like you can’t win games without a top 5 offensive line. There are many ways to build a team, and I think people often want to overcompensate for a weakness from the previous year. Bad franchises do the same. Terrible year at WR? Reach for a receiver in round 1. Terrible year at CB? Reach for a corner in FA. Etc etc.

I’m not against drafting a tackle with the top pick, it just has to be because he’s a better prospect than the receivers who are available.

Sec124DieHard and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Damn I think Kurt won me over. Go get Jeudy/Lamb and Gandy-Golden and let Sam eat hearty.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

As to the bolded part, we have one new scout, Chris Nolan. The rest are Macs guys and a couple are pre Mac.

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Do you guys remember that one Super Bowl where Tom Brady had Randy Moss and Wes Welker, but he could do much with them because the Giants kept hitting him in the mouth?

Yes, the Giants pass rush was good, but the Pats O-line had 3 All-Pros on it. The Jets don't have that-- every team in the NFL can do that to us right now.

13. The Patriots went undefeated for an entire season prior to that game. Cheating aside.

Do you remember portions of the Pennington/Late Sanchez era where we had solid To elite level OL but still couldn’t score points bc opposing defenses just loaded the box bc they didn’t respect the WRs? Even super OLs cant overcome a loaded box w no threat on the outside.

Is OL more important? Yes.But it’s still about balance. Quality WRs spread a defense out which simplifies blocking schemes, keeps defenders out of box & creates natural running/passing lanes. Also on a limited basis a short quick passing attack can compensate for poor pass pro by minimizing the time in which a QB has to drop back. If the WRs can beat press & are a threat over the top, that forces corners to play off which can further open slants/throws underneath as well as outside runs.Again,OL is more important but its all relative.

Bottom line is whoever is taken in round 1 doesnt mean that one position is more important than the other.It just means that one prospect is better than the other options. Lamb/Jeudy are simply better Safer prospects than the 4 OTs.Its that simple. OL can still absolutely be addressed heavily on day 2 if jets decide to go this route.

#93 KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2020
    NYJetsO12, SOJAZ, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  14. TwoHeadedMonster

Essentially, what you're saying is correct, and I totally agree: a quality WR1 is vitally important and makes the offense work for everybody else.
    The problem isn't whether a top flight WR is more important than a top flight OT, it's whether the QB1 is more important than the WR1. As I have posted elsewhere, David Fales isn't getting us anywhere, even if we miraculously drafted both Jeudy and Lamb. I say we have to take the best possible shot at building an OL to protect Sam so he can throw to a bunch of nobodies (not that Crowder, Doctson, etc are actually nobodies).

You say that "Lamb/Jeudy are better, safer prospects than the 4 OTs", and that is likely true. Have you looked at the OTs likely to be available in round 2? Not a good opportunity to upgrade what we've got. The WR talent likely to be available in rounds 2 and 3 is really quite impressive, though.

15. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

That's a bit worrisome

I obviously don't know any of these guys and if they're any good, but based purely on results this is a concern

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. TwoHeadedMonster

Please note that my earliest, and most foundational memories of New York Jets football revolve around Kenny O'Brien getting smashed to bits by forgettable DEs rather than getting the ball to elite WRs named Wesley Walker and Al Toon.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The bolded part is my entire take on this debate about WR vs OT. Those guys are the safer player.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah you don't need a top o-line but you do need a decent one. you'll never make the playoffs with a bottom 5 o-line.
    and up fully agree. you draft quality and play it smart

19. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

NC you and I have very different draft views lately ;)

You and I do agree with the lack of quality talent at pass rusher this year.

Simmons is arguably the most dangerous player in the draft--scouts belive he can lineup anywhere on defense. But he would primarily be on OLB, think of him as Anthony Barr but extremely more talented. For those that wanted Josh Allen last year--he is a way better player than he was and he was great for the Bucs.

As far as Okudah, he is a rare high floor high ceiling prospect. He's going to be a very good corner in this league for 10 years. He has very few flaws in his game. If you have a chance to draft a safe No 1 corner you take it. That would mean we have a full lineup of corners for next year, a very injury prone position group)

1) Desir (He's a stop gap at 30)
    2) Okudah
    3) Poole
    4) Austin
    5) Maulet

These guys are top 5 talents--you take them when available.

I agree wholeheartedly with you that WR and OT are huge needs--but we must make sure we are getting value at the 11 pick. Based on talent / starting experience / programs they played at--I think Becton, Wirfs, Thomas or Wills would be acceptable picks at 11 and I would select any of them before trading down. (depends on the trade offer of course to trade down)

Now, I do agree with you on this point you made: if JD believes Wills (for example) has a lot of risk--DEFINITELY go Lamb or Jeudy because you're getting a premier talent and filling a need. Go with a premier WR over a flawed OT--I agree.

I'm still on the fence about making Ruggs the first WR off the board....I'm not so sure that's the best move. Just my opinions here--excited for draft day.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm fully aware of both Simmons' and Okudah's talents and abilities, and I stand firm on what I said with regards to them. Simmons is not a better pass rusher than Allen at all. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. He only had 9.5 sacks in 4 years at Clemson. Conversely, Josh Allen had 31.5 in 4 years at Kentucky vs SEC LTs. Simmons wasn't used that way that often. He may be a better all around LB, but I'm not even sure of that. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think there's any such thing that you have to take a player just because he's very good. One has to look at what will help the team the most, a minor upgrade at one position, or a huge upgrade at another. I'll go with the huge upgrade every single time. BAP has to be balanced with need imo. Ignoring need is how we wound up taking so many DTs in successive drafts, and ignoring Edge, WR, OL, etc.

We're in agreement re OTs and Wrs.