Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jojo, Sep 10, 2022.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The OL and LB corps can be built by the time the 2024 draft concludes. There seems to be multiple quality vets available each offseason, so if Zach doesn't pan out(the evidence so far suggests he won't), this is the route I'd take.

As someone who wanted Lance last year, it might have been better to sign just a stopgap and build the team in the 2021 and 2022 drafts.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We can fill those holes with free agents. Draft should be all about BAP.

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Its very hard to fill LT in FA - they are usually among the highest paid FAs…. A good one anyway- if he even makes it to FA. I think the Jets would be better off drafting a OT - whatever side he starts on but preferably LT. Same with a solid young center.

This really should of been taken care of already … I know JD took Becton but it really sucks he’s injury prone.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

6. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I'm going to save the QB for different discussions.

However after 4 weeks, it's obvious that the next draft needs to be up and down the middle

Offensive line
    Defensive line
    Linebacker
    Safety

BPA for those positions. I do feel we might go late round pick on the Tackle as we have both Brown and Becton under contract next year so far, with Mitchell, AVT and Tomlinson too.

Every team needs an elite gamewrecking DE, we've yet to get one.

Linebackers and safety, well it's obvious.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree that it's the End of Story. We need a run-stuffing DT, a FS, and a LB to either replace Mosely or to groom to replace Mosely.

Also, I think McGovern is due to be a FA. If the Jets aren't going to re-sign him, then we will need a C.

8. NCJetsfan

I agree about LT, ILB and DT, and also Mitchell and the RT position. I think there's a good chance that Fant won't be back. I want to believe that you're wrong about Becton, but he has to come back in shape, healthy and STAY healthy all season for me to truly believe that he is the answer at LT or RT. I don't think the Jets should give up on him, especially since he will still be on his rookie deal, but I also don't think that they should trust that he will be the guy. Unless Brown and Fant will be back in addition to Becton, I think they need to draft an LT early to make sure that the OL is set. Then if all are healthy and playing well, we'll have a luxury and maybe can trade one for a high draft pick.

9. NCJetsfan

Sorry, I will never agree with you on that. Zach was totally the right way to go. He is our FQB and will be a star. Even if Zach doesn't pan out, it was still the right way to go. When you get a chance to take a QB that you think is a great prospect. You have to take it. You don't build the team first. That's backwards. You build the team first, the record improves, you're drafting lower and the chances of getting a topflight QB prospect without it costing an arm and a leg are slim and none.

KingRoach likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I don't think the Jets will give up on Becton. He will still be on his cheap rookie contract. They can still draft an OT early and let them battle it out. Then if Becton stays healthy and the rookie looks good, B3ethey know that chances are they will have 4 solid OTs in Becton, Brown, Mitchell and the rookie.

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Would be shocked if we don't throw some money at Bates to play FS next year.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  12. KingRoach

It’s supposed to be a weak OL class this year so I can easily see going into next season with Brown, Becton, Mitchell, and Fant as our OT group horrifying fans.

13. KingRoach

I’d be shocked if we did.

We don’t have that kinda cap room next year and I don’t see any big contract worth shedding for a S.

With our contracts, we need a S and LB but I don’t see us making any big splashes. It’ll be weird to draft in the 20s this year.

14. dawinner127

We were in on Marcus Williams and some small rumors about honey badger. Both probably making similar or more than Bates no? I can definitely be wrong, but just what I remember.

15. KingRoach

I believe we were “interested in Williams but not at that price”

16. dawinner127

Going into next year -

$16m in cap with 37 players signed

Just a quick glance at overthecap.com here is what stood out -

Lawson $15m
    Corey Davis $10.5m
    Mosley $6.5m saved (prob cut in 24 to save $11m)
    Jordan Whitehead $7.25m
    Justin hardee $2.3m
    Ashyton Davis $1.2m
    Mims $1.3m

That would put us around $60ish, but not all of it will happen. It will be interesting to see what JD does. Spotrac has Bates at $16/year and Poyer at $11/year. I doubt we touch Bates at the price so you're prob right.

17. KingRoach

I honestly don’t want us to cut any of those players. The GM makes the team better, freeing up cap space from those players won’t make the team better.

The rebuild is over; the big pieces are in place. The only possible big move I can see would be to trade up in the draft to grab someone we want in the 1st - the Clemson LB or DL maybe.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If Wilson had played every game since he was drafted and won most of them it would still be too soon to declare him a franchise quarterback. Nothing he has done on the playing field even comes close to qualifying him for that sobriquet. You may wish for him to be a star and hope he becomes an FQB but the record today supports neither.

19. dawinner127

The only two players who I think might be worthy of a cut or restructure are Lawson and Davis.