Draft Rumor (Quinnen Williams)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 5, 2020.

?

If Atlanta is willing, would you trade Quinnen Williams for the Falcons' #16 pick?

1. Yes, where do I sign up?

59.1%
  2. No, Get Outta here!

37.9%
  3. Other

3.0%
  1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Imposing 3T improves everybody. [See: Warren Sapp]
    2. Q is not 3T now, is he?
    3. I am still trying to figure out what his job description is. Is he DT? or is he DE? If he is DT, then he had better be a DT worthy of 1st rounder, i.e. 3T. If he is DE - be it 3-4 DE or (heaven forbid) 4-3 DE, I didn't see him exploding through the middle like 3Ts do, or around the edge like DEs do. 3-4 DEs are also supposed to go after QBs and kill them. Ask Bruce Smith and J.J. Watt.
    4. Yeah. Maybe, just maybe he has shit ton of that hidden production stuff. Atlanta can have all of it if they want.
    5. So - my two cent says that if Atlanta offers 16th for Q, Douglas should run with it the moment the trade consumates.

P.S. I would think that Adam Gase needs much more help than Gregg Williams ever will. DTs - especially space eaters - can be had in lower round picks. (Think Damon Harrison) I'd try to give Gase more help in the 1st round and pick up a few DTs in day 2 or 3 picks.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that Falcons would trade 16 straight up for QW unless the jets offer another high to mid round pick.

IMO DT can be easily replaced.

You have a potential to land two impact players but then again Q can be an impact player of all goes well.

but I really like the idea of potentially grabbing an edge with a 2nd 1st rd pick.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There were reports that Joe D turned down a huge offer for Q at the trade deadline. That would imply to me at least that he wouldn’t trade him for just 16 overall. While I do agree with those that think DT is replaceable I don’t think I’d trade him for just 16 either. His talent would place him in the top 5-10 of this draft too.

If he did though I would choose option 3 of selecting one of the WRs at 11 and best T at 16. Although I wouldn’t really complain either if it was opposite and went T at 11 and best remaining WR at 16.

As for trading down to 16. I’d have no problem trading down even though I think 11 is a great spot to get an impact player on offense. We’d need to get more than just a 3rd to move to 16 though.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Isnt the rumor the Jets and Falcons could swap 1sts?

And after guessing that the Falcons might be looking for a DT, might be, he suggests a deal involving QW?

Unfortunately thats not actually a rumor.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I feel at this point in time and based on 2019's performance , Q's trade value could be compromised. He didn't perform like a top 5 pick and there were times where you had to look really hard to see if he was in the game or not. Also, considering how well the Dline did against the run, will that be weakened with Q's departure? Risky to think that it won't and then we have to worry about a strength that now needs focusing.

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You take the tackle at 11 and Justin Jefferson at 16 then spend the rest of the night getting your hall of fame speech ready

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think the criticism of Q is a bit unfair here because for at least more then half the year he was playing most of his time as the NT in the 3-4, in which he's basically just trying to use more strength to hold the point of attack and/or try to push the pocket back. IT basically neutralized Q's biggest asset, and that's his quickness. He also had an ankle injury IIRC in the first game and didn't come back to game 4-5 (My memory is fuzzy). Lastly the media guide lists him as only 302 lbs, which is rather light for someone to play NT.

McLendon was the de-facto starter at NT for most of the year. Mind you, he's a vet who's old in the tooth but he still was a solid player...but let's take into account that Steve isn't a 3 down guy by any means aka mostly a run first defender, and the aformentioned age factor, so he's not going to be in the game for that many snaps.

When Q returned, he split time working his way back from injury mostly playing the NT spot. He didn't really move out to the 5 technique as much but when he did, he was splitting time with Kyle Phillips (who JUST started showing glimpses) and you also had Foley Fatukasi, who at that same point wasn't playing much. Henry Anderson also was injured for most of the year.

But at that moment, I believe it was near the Cowboys game, your NT's were just McLendon and Q. Foley began to turn it on from the Cowboys game on and started to make his mark playing some NT, so you could finally move Q to the 5, which is ideally where you want him most of the time....but that took quite a while for the Jets to get Q off the nose until Foley was comfortable there. I'd say around the Dolphins game was when Q was primarily playing the 5, as the nose was left more up to Foley and Steve. On passing sets, you saw less of a "3-4" type look but as the roster was currently constructed, there is no real pass rushing end/LB to keep offensive lines honest. Basham, Jenkins, Willis and Langi were guys that was asked to pass rush and they don't have that dynamic to keep tackles honest. Jenkins has the most upside but even then, he's not someone you really are afraid as an opposing OT. Basham is a good rotational guy, again he doesn't scare you. Hence why you saw Jamal lining up as a de-facto pass rusher off the edge, he has the dynamic ability to get to the QB but he's a safety! It's good to do once in a while but you take him away from wrecking havoc in the middle of the defense as well at times.

I don't want to make all these excuses but I believe they are valid reasons as to why Q didn't flash more. As the Jets hopefully enter the next season, you can put Q more in his natural spot as the 5 tech and basically leave the dirty work for old man Steve and Fatukasi. It's key that Joe can somehow find a diamond in the rough DE/OLB who can help bend off the edge for this defense. In return you can keep offensive lines honest and not have them defend the Jets with no fear of an outside pass rush threat.

I feel like I wrote a bunch of gibberish...and it's about 4:10 am in the morning...happy reading yall. Go Jets and I hope Q can flash way more this year!

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Absolutely, positively. The jets currently have SIX INSIDE LBs on their roster (although Williamson may be moved to save $$), so pretty obvious they will play a lot of 3-4. You are wasting a great talent like Q. in a 3-4 so move him NOW while he has some value. If he has another mediocre season like last year, you won't get squat for him next offseason, and he will be another Leonard Williams.--a very high draft pick primarily assigned just to occupy blockers.

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree--Atlanta would likely never do this--QW did not show much in year 1 and his gun arrest does not help his trade value. If Atlanta is interested I would do the trade in a second.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I remarked that I didn't. So yes, if ATL, wanted to trade for QW, I do the deal.

NCJetsfan likes this.