Draft Kings (Robert Kraft) / Fanduel Sacandal

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by joe, Oct 6, 2015.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Semantically they do.

But they take money from the buy-in prior to the pool being set. I was under the belief they referred to it as a service or transaction fee. I am almost certain I read that directly from one of their websites.

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

They take anything over the amount of prize money given, which is posted before anyone plays. It varies from contest to contest by the volume of people playing.

On Sunday you can see exactly how much they make from each contest. Multiply the number of players by the cost of the playing the contest and subtract the total payout amount, which is listed when the game is put on the board.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Whatever the case is, the reason it's legal is posted right on the site. I posted a link. It's not classified as gambling, rather as a game of skill. Seems silly. If poker isn't classified as a game of skill fantasy football isn't either.

FJF likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

They openly promote the affiliation to draft kings on TV as well. Funny thing is, they deny Vegas openly, but a lot of the rules in place are for the purpose of gambling.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Bill Burr used to read DraftKings ads on his podcast and they pulled their ads because he kept calling it gambling

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what if its a draft kings designed employee/system that wins the draft kings pot? so they take the all/any of the amount over the prize money given AND the prize money.

hopefully that is not going on.....but its unregulated, so.....

also would explain why a fan duel employee would be playing to win on draftkings. they know what's going on and want to try to win and damage the competition

Burning Elvii likes this.
  8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

There are definitely questions that need to be answered about the workings of these sites.

I would also like to know more about how knowing the percentages of the players drafted that week gives you an advantage picking a team. At Draft Kings they show the percentage of people playing each player on that contest only after the game has started.

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

While there is arguably some skill involved, Poker is a game of chance.

I think a better analogy would be betting on horse racing, which is considered gambling. You're taking guesses on who will perform or do well. I agree with you that it seems like gambling to me.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Professional poker players aren't simply more lucky than the next guy. They're more skilled.

I do like the horse racing comparison to fantasy football though.

BeastBeach likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah but in horse racing You and I can both pick the winning horse and win. In daily fantasy if you and I both picked the same horse we tie. it's like a combination of horse racing and poker because you are at the mercy of others performance but you have to win head to head.

which makes knowing who others pick incredibly valuable. if they are stacking their game with people that know who others are picking its crosses over from skill/possibly gambling to a scam.

I also have questions about how they rate the players. If I understand it correctly players "cost" a certain amount and you have a pool from which to spend on. I have concern in how they are coming up with these "prices" for these players

TNJet likes this.
  12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Obviously not the same logic that prompted Commissioner Pete Rozell to order Namath to divest his share of Bachelor's III (right after the AFL Jets beat the NFL Colts), while NYJ owner Leon Hess was allowed to continue his ownership stake in Monmouth Racetrack. In the case of Hess, Rozelle could've made the (very weak) argument that track betting only involved the ponies, however in the case of Draft Kings and Fanduel......

It is a good question Browning.

13. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

Kraft's ownership aside, I really don't see how this can't be considered gambling. You are placing money down in hopes that you can pick players that will outperform set "odds".

14. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

It is absolutely gambling if poker and blackjack are gambling. Just because skill can improve your chances it is still chance involved. Players get hurt and that alone can kill your chance to win

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It's not gambling.

Have you not heard the commercials?

You make your deposit, you pick your lineup and then you collect your winnings.

It's that easy.

Doesn't sound like a lot of "chance" involved.

_

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I just found out that the corporation I work for owns like 13% of Draft Kings.

I feel so dirty.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

18. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

No coincidence what so ever......this must be why the NFL has embraced these companies......direct gambling....it's all fixed folks......it's totally on the other side of WWE

19. Burning Elvii

20. Burning Elvii

#40 Burning Elvii, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015