Don't Take A QB In 2023

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CotcheryFan, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Please not another 1st rounder after our struggles with the last couple. Take a guy in the mid-rounds and/or sign a vet alongside White. Have Streveler run the practice squad.

Establish the offense with a competent QB then a year or two down the road make a high pick if it's needed to allow the rookie to step onto an established platform.

If we wind up with regime change again make sure the new regime has an established QB to start with because rookie-rookie-rookie-rookie is just so SoJ.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  2. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Its GOTTA BE
    T, C, G....DRAFT AND FA
    LB, S
    WE NEED OL TO BE FRONT AND CENTER, OR WE CAN FORGET ABOUT ANY SUCCESS.

Br4d likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Coming from a UK football fan, Levis is gonna be a very polarizing prospect this year.

He's got all the tools you want and then some but there are times where he reminds me of Zach. His mechanics need some work, he often becomes a little too skittish in the pocket when he's pressured, from memory alone, I'm not sure I've seen him go through his progressions on a consistent enough basis to think that won't be somewhat of an issue for him at the pro level, and finally he's similar to Zach in that a lot of the time, he needs to see the receiver open before he throws the ball. Don't get me wrong, I've seen him make some anticipatory throws into tight windows that gives me hope for this aspect of his game but most of the time he's a see it and then throw guy.

All that said, I'd love it if the Jets drafted him. Mainly because I love it when the Jets draft guys from UK but after coming fresh off of Zach, I could see the FO/CS shying away from a guy who, on paper reminds them of Zach in a lot of ways.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If Noah Sewell or Trenton Simpson make it to our pick, I'd have a hard time passing on either for a lesser OL prospect.

James Hasty likes this.
  5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

bazinga

6. Losmeister

Once again I cannot say that I think B Young will translate to the NFL...

just like I dcouldnt with Tua...

i remember I thought McCarron had a shot at being AVERAGE. WRONG!!

( All this cos I follow Bama cos of Joe )

KingRoach likes this.
  7. Losmeister

he could get a massive offer from a contender and if he did... who could blame him for leaving?

8. Losmeister

honestly i dont know what this is.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

This post didn't age well. We have no QB on the Jets worth holding on to, but we shouldn't draft one in the 1st round either. Get a veteran QB that we can utilize for the next two years. Will they be great, probably not or they wouldn't be available, but our defense can be great now, and we don't have time to completely rebuild the offense. We need a capable QB, help at the OL and for players to stay healthy.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. Losmeister

Joe d gets a D. Overall so far

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Had someone ask this question to me this morning --

If the Jets pick 10th and Stroud is sitting there, are you taking him?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. Br4d

If I'm the Jets I am getting off the 1st round merry-go-round for a couple of seasons at least.

Sign a vet, there should be a few available this off-season. Draft a mid-rounder to be a developmental backup with upside. Keep Streveler and have the rookie run the practice team next season.

The Jets badly need another OT and they need another LB. They might even find the right safety to turn that defensive backfield into a nightmare for opponents.

They could also trade the 10 down and pickup an extra pick or two and that would go a long way towards building the OL depth they are sorely lacking at this point.

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

They need OL help in the worst way, but if you don't have a franchise QB, you don't pass on one. To me, it depends on their evaluation of CJ Stroud, which is a scary thought. But if he has good football smarts, quick processing ability and decision-making, you take him IMO. This team can win with a decent vet in theory, so they should only take a QB if they love one

14. Br4d

There are enough teams with QB questions that if Stroud is sitting there on the #10 it means 9 teams have likely evaluated him as not being a FQB. Even if one or more teams ahead of the #10 have their FQB already the teams behind that need a QB would likely have traded up to get him if they evaluated him as an FQB.

Someday we are going to logically solve the NFL draft process and one of the keys in that solution is going to be the weight of collective intelligence. Individual teams in the NFL are never smart enough to solve the draft but collectively the NFL does a pretty good job of solving it.

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I remember Patrick Mahomes being drafted 10th and we were one of the 9 teams that passed on him, let's not make the same mistake

16. Br4d

You got Andy Reid in your back pocket? Because last time I looked the Jets were the graveyard for developmental QB's.

KingRoach likes this.
  17. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We are trying to win a SB, that will have to be a problem that we resolve not run away from

18. Br4d

You can't resolve finding Andy Reid to allow the Jets to take a QB not seen as a generational talent in the 1st round while huge holes remain on the OL.

If you want to take a QB in the 1st round this year you *must* hire Payton or Harbaugh first because the current crew will wreck anybody you take in record time.

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Haven't really looked into any of the QB prospects this year but based off of the little bit that I do know, I probably would.

I think if he or Levis makes it to our pick, it would be very tempting to take either one of those guys.

This also depends on how FA goes for us. We get a guy like Carr? I highly doubt we take a 1st round QB. We go the Minshew/Jimmy G./etc. route? I def think 1st round QB is on the table.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think you have to select him and be happy about it, especially with his friend Garrett Wilson as wide reciever. They can find each other on the field blindfolded

dawinner127 likes this.