Don't Take A QB In 2023

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CotcheryFan, Dec 12, 2022.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We're not picking high enough to land Stroud or Young. The ones after those two have big question marks. Build the team, go with a vet next year and reevaluate in 2024. In fact, I'll say this. Don't even think about taking a QB in round 1 until 2025 at the earliest. Make sure the offense is established, so a high pick will be walking into a favorable situation.

A friend who follows the college game more closely than I do says Cade Klubnik, Drew Allar, Connor Weigman, and Quinn Ewers will be the next big prospects to enter the league. He also thinks Arch is overrated.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

100%.

I really think the Jets need to put away the 1st round toys for awhile. They'd be much better off finding a vet (maybe White) to build the offense around and then picking somebody to develop after that. It's a lot easier to integrate a kid into an offense that is already working and with no pressure to put him in right away.

I'm doubting the SFO offense at this point. I don't think it is a winner in the environment we play in and I think it requires specific assets and a lot of injury luck to keep those assets healthy.

I'd be a lot happier with the modified Erhardt-Perkins the Pats run. That looks like a much more forgiving scheme both in terms of talent and injury luck.

dawinner127 likes this.
  3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

We need to get an interior OL asap because Tomlinson has been a huge bust

AVT to RT and let Becton give it one more shot at LT with Brown as the backup.

Jojo and wewantsapp like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Take QB with a mid to late pick.

Sundayjack, stinkyB and Br4d like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The biggest thing that needs to change in the quarterback thought process is to banish the thought that a high draft pick must be thrown on the field immediately. The reasons have been quite obvious over the last thirty or so years, particularly at quarterback. When a guy is ready we'll all know.

BamaDoc, phubbadaman and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Not to be rude but like no shit, don’t take a QB. Fix the OL and grab a LB or two as well. If an edge guy’s available (edge is deep) take a look at that as well but first the OL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Don't worry, I wouldn't be offended if you began your post at no.

joe likes this.
  8. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I’d roll with Mike White, trade Zach. We need another OT and a big time TE or big body WR.

Not opposed to drafting a later round Qb next year.
    Then you see what you have with White. Draft your Qb after next season if need be.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

As of right now, I would bring back Mike White and have him compete with Zach to start. Another QB should be added too, either a vet or the mid rounds.

A lot can happen in the days and weeks ahead to change that opinion though!

Agreed about not taking a QB in the 1st I'm 2023. Then again, I'm sure there are (unlikely) scenarios where it would make sense. Way too early to know

10. Br4d

I posted earlier that I wasn't sold on the SFO. Let me explain that a little bit better.

The SFO requires at least two very talented RB's because it is going to need people who can hit the edges and exploit the outside zone blocking scheme. It requires a good WR who can run the Jet sweep and take pitches in the backfield and go with them. You really need two of these guys although the Deebo Samuel skillset is not going to be there in the second guy. You just need to be able to keep the playbook open if the big guy goes down. It requires a TE who is adept at blocking on the edge and also have good hands as they tend to be the outlet guys when things break down. Again you need two of these guys so that an injury doesn't take away the primary outlet.

You need a talented deep OL although not Pro Bowlers. They need to know the system and they need to execute well because the offense has a lot of moving pieces and one breakdown tends to have disproportionate effects. You don't want the Jet Sweep broken up behind the LOS because that is a fumble waiting to happen. The TE needs to know when to release and when to maintain their block and when to do that is not obvious by any means. There are a lot of moving pieces in the backfield as well as the backs tend to go in motion and WR's tend to circle behind the QB. It's like a high-level choreography and the QB has to know what he is looking for as each piece moves.

The modified Erhardt-Perkins that the Pats run requires much less specific talent. The WR's are largely interchangeable in the system because their skills are less important than the way the route-trees interact. The RB's are important but they don't need to be the flyers that the SFO wants in the outside running game. They need to be able to hit a quick opener for some yards and they need to be able to hold onto the ball. They are the primary checkdown when the QB is under pressure and they need to have good hands. The TE's can be average with no special talent required. Basically they're running a power gap heavy rushing attack with the same look passing scheme that the modified E-P creates.

Note that they switched to a zone-blocking scheme this year but that's not what I'm advocating. I'm advocating for the offense they ran from 2016-2021. That was the control heavy offense that most teams that play outside in weather late in the season should emulate. Tom Brady made it great but any QB with good field vision and a quick release could run it well.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Not sure this is the right place for this but...speaking of drafting QBs...
    Whoever takes Richardson from the Gators better have a solid vet in place, so he can be "redshirted" for 2 NFL seasons..... otherwise megabustville. ALL the physical traits you cant teach, but none of the experience. Cant blame him for declaring (a blown out knee throws away a career) but he REALLY needs another season. I'm wondering if he's leaving school for another reason. People are saying 1st rd pick, I wouldnt take him before the 3rd/4th

12. Br4d

There was a time when the NFL understood that there weren't 1st round QB's available every year.

I blame fantasy football for the change.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

At this point, I’d take as many dart throws as we can have at QB. Idc when it is.

If Stroud, Levis, or Richardson slips to us in the 1st, I wouldn’t hate it.

Past that, you’re throwing a dart at Jaren Hall, Cam Ward, or Hendon Hooker at the beginning of Day 3.

Losmeister and jilozzo like this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

He has a 50% completion. Think Hooker would be the guy to target later.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Right. QB in 1st round is basically asking for trouble. Joe Montana was not drafted in 1st round. Neither was Brady.
    2. I'd think Jets do need to beef up the offensive line. And prepare for the future if Q bolts. These two concerns should occupy the high round picks next year.
    3. If they can install E/P variant, that would be rather fantastic. As I remember, E/P offense was specifically designed to be an all-weather offense, so it should work very well here in NY weather. I don't know if Zach is cerebral enough to handle E/P however. (E/P offense in Air Brady mode only happened very lately. Its original shape and form is much closer to the Giants offense during Parcells years, led by Phil Simms.)

16. Br4d

The 1st round potential picks would be a disaster here as ZW is not good enough to keep them off the field and Mike White would bolt instantly if we drafted a high round QB next season.

Sundayjack and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I should have prefaced my comment by saying that if we do draft a QB this year, there has to be a legit QB competition this offseason.

No sham QB competition where the rookie clearly doesn't look ready but is still named the starter.

Honestly, barring us trading for a Lamar Jackson/Rodgers/Carr/etc., there should be a QB competition this offseason.

Br4d likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'd like to see them draft a project later in the draft. Preferably NOT A SMIDGET either as taller QB's are the new prototype nowadays. I didn't know Justin Hebert was 6'-6". Josh Allen 6'-5". Zach Wilson is 6'-1" and will never be confused with Drew Brees.

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If you want a prototypical QB build, this is the draft for it, especially early.

Other than Bryce Young, the top of this class is all bigger dudes.

CJ Stroud: 6'3" 218
    Will Levis: 6'3" 232
    Anthony Richardson: 6'4" 232

The bad thing is we'd probably have to spend our 1st rounder to get any of these guys.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Took a look at Will Levis's video. He looks more like Josh Allen than the rest of the guys on your list. Not a fan of his deep ball (too much air) but his medium range stuff in to short crossing patterns are lethal.

KY Jets Fan likes this.