Don't Sack Rothlisberger, instead...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ThunderbirdJet, Jan 22, 2011.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Not a kill shot but swat at the ball when you get near instead of trying to wrap up and bring him down. Once the ball hits the ground it's a 50/50 proposition. Last couple times we got a strip sack we didn't get the ball which means we're due.

2. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

... hit him with a flail!

[​IMG]

3. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Put a chick in a bucket of roofies on the sidelines, and he'll be running off the field all day.

4. popcola

popcola New Member

I'd rather they try to make the tackle and take the
    chance Ben throws up an off balance pass than going for the ball, missing and letting him extend the play.As mentioned hitting him(or any QB) low is always a good thing even if they dont go down it always makes them think.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Going for the ball is the best way to tackle someone who is this good at breaking out of them. I'm not saying completely ignore going for the body but get a shot on him and then start swiping. It will cause him to pull the ball down to protect it, giving a better chance of bringing him down.

Pittsburgh delenda est.

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Active Member

Unleash the Blitzkrieg !

CAN'T WAIT !!!

7. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Have a girl undress in the stands and distract him to run out of bounds

8. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

O'Rly?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZoDDYkoKi4&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

9. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

This.

That doesn't mean NOT to drill Rothlesberger if you can, especially from the blind side, but a fumble is better than a sack.

This game will turn on who gets the most turnovers. If you can hang on one of his arms, he'll try one of those "push passes" or ground it if he doesn't fumble. The way to beat Rothlisberger is to make him fumble, turn the ball over. Look at the Ravens when they got behind him, knocked the ball out and the ball laid on the ground seemingly forever. It wasn't a pass, it was a fumble.... a fumble the Ravens ran back for a TD deep in Steeler territory.

As much as Rothlisberger is dangerous in extending the play, it's also a weakness. Go after the BALL.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Easier done when he's outside the pocket. I don't want to see a lot of blitzes, but I do want to see a linebacker waiting for him to roll left and try to set his feet. Charge in, square up, and go for the strip.

11. Tight

Tight Active Member

Go for the ball, miss.. and watch him roll out and throw the ball 50 yards down the field.

12. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

You can mistackle this guy as easilly as missing the ball. If you haven't noticed, he shreds tackles every single game. Get his arms. That's where the ball is.

13. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

EXACTLY.. I said this all week. ;)

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He is in the top 5 in sacks per pass attempt so I don't see where he is so hard to take down.
    Yes he does have the strength to get away from some sacks but don't over pursue and they should be able to get him.

15. CatoTheElder

That's why you hit him first, then go for the ball. His biggest asset is his ability to slip tackles and roll out. You take that away by hitting him then going for the ball.

Hit him first and he starts looking to make a move outside the pocket. Once that happens, keep a hold of him and start going for the strip. That will cause him to break his concentration on the roll-out and get his mind on protecting the football. He'll concentrate on pulling the ball in to avoid the fumble and immobilize. That's when we take him down.

On the other hand, if he keeps going for the slip and the roll-out, then he won't be able to secure the ball which means it's hitting the turf.

Hit and strip. That hopefully was the theme all week. Either he goes to protect the football and the Jets get the sack, or he goes for the slip and the roll in which case we're knocking the ball out of his hands. One will cause the other.

Pittsburgh delenda est.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Bump, cause its worth it

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

can you imagin rex relaying this info to Gholston with a straight face?

18. CatoTheElder

Gholston was out getting coffee and bagels for everyone.

Pittsburgh delenda est.

19. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

I have a funny feeling that the Jets might have to chop down Roethlisberger like a tree. You might have to go for the legs & above the knees.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

What about 'in the grasp' -- if you wrap his arms up or have your arms around him, won't the play be ruled dead, regardless of if he is still upright ?