Don't Rule Out a Big Addition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I don't know if a big addition is possible because of the new FA rules, which I think WSW alluded to a few posts ago.

For the sake of this thread, I'd like to see us somehow get Seymour because if we acquire him and find a monster pass-rusher in the draft, the Front 7 will be totally dominant.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i understand that.....and we need to fill some other holes as well. This draft is the way to accomplish it, IMO.

We're gonna need to sign FAs as well....but the high priced ones.....not sure that's in the cards for the Green/White.

3. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

What picks do we have this year?

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

If we get anyone, my guess is that Rex will once again look to the Ravens, or maybe even the Browns convenience store.

As WSW said, who is leaving us?

5. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I really like Arthur Jones of Syracuse. He was a huge standout on bad SU team, often got double and triple teamed and still was a beast. Coming off an injury which might let him fall to us.

6. skipper

skipper Member

We have 1 and 2. Three and five go Mangini for Edwards and I think 4 goes to Philly for Lito, though I'm not positive about that.

7. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

why is everyone focusing on our LB's? up the middle, we're set with Scott and Harris. On the edges, Pace and Thomas are good. Really, the only need is depth there.

The bigger problem is DE. Ellis is getting older and Douglas is a stop-gap player. 3-4 DE's typically don't get that many sacks, but there are some notable exceptions like Seymour. I say look for one of those.

DT is in good position with Jenkins and Pouha.

Second priority is CB. Lowery, Sheppherd, Strickland are all good, but to beat the colts and pats, we need a #1B. Personally, I think that's where our #29 pick should go towards.

Safety is good. Leonhard and Rhodes are good and Smith plays a hybrid Safety/LB position that's a good fit for his talents.

On offense, OL needs depth. Faneca and Woody will need to get replaced in the next 3 years, so drafting a RT would seem prudent. TE is set with Keller. We could also use a legit 3rd WR.

Strangely enough, if we let Jones go, one need might be depth at RB. We have Greene and Washington, but Washington is coming off an injury and Greene just came off the biggest game of the year with an injury.

So our shopping list looks like this:

CB
    DE
    OL (RT and LG)
    WR (3rd)
    RB (if we cut Jones)

8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this is true...but that statement was probably made in a different environment. When there is no CBA and the team is restricted from signing FA's the team has to adapt to its environment

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

thats why I'm talking trade...a trade isn't acquiring a FA

10. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I know he's not a pass rusher, but it would be a big help if Jenkins could actually stay on the damn field next season.

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

do any of you guys think that westerman will develop into the rush olb that we need? if so, that allows us to focus our attention on depth at dl, lb, cb instead of reaching for a need

12. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

A trade means your giving up some valuable personel somewhere else and then have to fill that hole.

I say we spackle the holes we have right now without creating other ones.

13. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

THis sounds about right to me, though i wouldn't be surprised if we ignore OL again, banking on Turner and Hunter and Slauson to fill holes.

14. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

cant see us doing to much. i think we are almost set on offense, all they need it more time and experience which i think this playoff run has given them. dont know any big FA cb out there so i think we draft one..

the only thing i would waste picks on is peppers or seymor. and since we have the 29th pick if we dont trade down i dont have a problem trading it away

15. Keithnyj

Keithnyj Member

As much as I hate to say it, Leon Washington will probably be traded. With the Progress of shonn Green Thus far, we cant afford 3 solid running backs. Leon is wanting 16 million I think, And I just dont see that happening, especially after his leg injury. I think someone who needs a good solid running back will give us something big for him.

Thoughts?

16. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Adalius Thomas and Seymour may come here. From their personal perspective (and obviously I am speculating) they may want to come here to exact revenge on Belly.

I can see a one year T.O. rental which would make Cotch the 3rd stringer? That would be mad receiving corps. Obviously chemistry is a problem. I am concerned about Clowney's development.

I am concerned about Greene's durability. Cutting TJ would be a big mistake.

Peppers is a big maybe.

Are there any worthwhile CB's coming on as FA's?

I would be very happy to see Pennington on the roster again as a backup. Sanchez has definitely matured to the point where he can handle things on his own. However, until PManning is a free agent, Chad is the next smartest football QB in the league.

17. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Gotta agree. That would change the dynamics of our defense. When Jenkins when plowing up the middle, it pressured the QB, blew up running plays and could create havoc on any down. We get one more guy that comes off the edges with that same type of attack and intensity and our secondary problems will disappear quickly. They will have enough problems getting past the line of scrimmage..........

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I would be so angry if we picked up "T.O.". Wow, that would be awful. Why would Cotch be the third reciever in that situation? He is the most reliable reciever that we have, very consistent.

I don't think I would want Pennington being Sanchez's mentor... Ol' Noodle arm will just hinder is playmaking ability IMO.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

ok,you think we won't give him 16 mil because of the leg injury.(probably right)but you think another team will give us something big for him with said leg injury?

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Everett Brown was drafted to play opposite Peppers not replace him. Brown is the smally pure speed blinside rush end to compliment Peppers the more prototypical that can play both the run and pass, similar with what we had with Abraham and Ellis.