Don't over look Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nohope, Jul 28, 2008.

1. FatStupidLoser

With this team that is unrealistic. So should we be Skins fans this year or cheer for Chad?

2. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

this sentiment is rarely expressed on this forum. The typical kind is all so reactionary. That's why you are one of the few posters on whose messages I look forward to reading.

Does everyone else really believe that Mangini would still have Pennington on this team, making all the money he does, if he truly felt that Chad was only as good as he appeared to be in games last season? Give the FO a little more credit guys...

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If we run the ball 65% of the time and it's effective 70% of the time it won't matter who's at QB.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I have two questions. Why is it that

1. Pennington is trashed because he is supposedly only good enough to get the Jets to the playoffs, but not good enough to win the Super Bowl. The same people, however, want Favre to be a Jet while conceding that the Jets are not a Super Bowl team, but Favre will give the Jets a shot at the playoffs???? If Favre doesn't mean the Jets win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR, why should the Jets waste a year with him if it means only a playoff berth at best?

2. Pennington is trashed for his weak arm, which supposedly led to some late game interceptions last year. Yet it seems every Packer season since 1996 ended with rifle-armed Favre throwing some bonehead pick at the end of the game to cost the Pack the game. Is it a better interception if the ball is thrown hard into triple coverage?

If the Jets are going to win it all, the Jets need to find a QB who will be in his prime when this team hits its stride in about 2010. If Clemens can't beat out Pennington this year, then Pennington becomes a hold the fort guy for a year and the future QB search begins. I don't to be sitting there next March while Favre plays his "I'm not sure what I want to do next year" bullshit.

#24 Joe Willie White Shoes, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  5. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

God, I love this guy. :wink:

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

In Jetland, 30 yard-downfield interception right into triple coverage is 100000000 times better than Dink-and-dunk 2 yard completion. That's called "showing Potential" here. Which is precisely why Clemens, and Favre by the same token, gets the nod over Pennington.

#26 Zach, Jul 28, 2008
  7. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

This is a joke right?

8. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Well said

The "anybody but Chad" mantra is tiring. Perhaps Clemens just isn't that good?

I won't be surprised to see the Jets draft a QB on Day 1 next year.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

you're kidding, right?

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You had to actually ask? Hmm. Maybe I suck at sarcasm real bad.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Elway carried teams that basically sucked to the SB. Chad was carried by the OL and running game to a second round exit when he basically couldn't throw the ball and than ran the clock out when the team was on the edge of FG range. Check down mindsets don't win big games.

#31 winstonbiggs, Jul 28, 2008
  12. Klecko10

Klecko10 Member

New Helmet and Facemask for Chad????

I don't know why I noticed this but how come Pennington changed his helmet and face-mask??? He always had the Bledsoe type helmet with the 3 bars even back at Marshall. Huh weird.

13. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I certainly agree that Elway lifted the Broncos to perform well - better than the talent around him. However, to infer that Pennington rode the backs of the OL and running game for the Jets two playoff wins (Indy in 2002 and Chargers in 2004) is really pushing it. Chad performed very well in both the 2002 and 2004 seasons (before the injury) and played exceptionally well in both playoff wins. To suggest that he played little part in each teams' success just doesn't jive with the facts (IMHO).

14. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

A good OL is better than a good QB. Can somebody name a QB who would have played well behind last year's Jet OL? Look at how well David Carr played behind Houston's OL and he was the no. 1 pick in the draft.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

1. Pennington is trashed because he's never lived up to the contract or the hype coming off of his one "good" season, the fact that he's injured almost every year, and because him still being around means Jets fans still can't turn the page. While I don't know if I've stated it on this board, I would agree with those who think Favre gives the Jets a better shot at, and subsequently in, the playoffs.

2. Risk vs. reward. Penningtons pick sixes were what would be considered a "low risk" throw in my opinion. Most QB's can throw a 7 yard pass to the sideline without a major fear of being picked. Be it arm strength, starting down WR's, whatever, Chad Pennington had a bit if a problem with that last season. At least the int into triple coverage has a chance of not going for 7 the other way as opposed to an uncontested jog to the endzone. So yea, I'd say that overall Chad Penningtons interceptions aren't just worse, they're THE WORST kind overall.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

CHad was great in 02 but in 04 he wasn't great and clearly didn't lift the team. The team had a better winning % with Quincy Carter stoned and being held back by Herm than with Chad in 04 and he simply was awful in the Pittsburgh playoff game.

I don't blame Chad the guys arm was hurt and he clearly wasn't the same QB after the injury in spite of the one long completion in SD to Moss. People forget that Moss was wide open all game down field but Chad only got the ball down to him once and that ball was late although to his credit he did get it there.

When I talk about Chad, I'm talking about post injury Chad not the very good QB he was in 02 and in most of 04 before his injury.