Don't bet the farm that Lawrence will save the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Oct 14, 2020.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He might not save the Jets but it does in fact reset the "winning with a QB on a rookie deal" clock. Sam hasn't shown anything to deserve us picking up his 5th year option of 25 million. Reset the entire clock and blow the entire thing up. TL will automatically be coming into a better scenario than Sam since Becton seems to be the real deal.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

If you land Lawrence you should have your pick of NFL coaches who will love having a pretty safe and sure thing at the QB position coming in. The problem is that you could have also had any coach you wanted to coach Darnold too and you chose Gase.

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It’s clear we’re tanking. Trading everyone and not surrounding ourselves with talent.

4. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i think what it comes down to is the quality of assessment. If Sam is for real -- just woefully misused, not-supported -- you keep him and you treat the high draft pick (first overall?) as another asset to build with (with all of our other picks and cap space)

when assessment sucks, we're always chasing the shiny new penny -- savior du jour

I like Douglas but this will be his most critical decision

5. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Good post. People are so quick to forget that Darnold was the unanimous #1 QB in his draft class, until the Browns shocked everyone by taking Mayfield, who was more pro-ready but IMO a lower ceiling. People said Darnold was the best QB since Andrew Luck, NFL.com gave him a 7.5 grade (perennial pro-bowler) which was the highest grade I've seen in a decade. We all are in agreement that this team is bad, and it was more evident that Flacco couldn't move the ball at all yesterday. Given, he's a little older, injuries have piled up including a recent neck surgery, but he's a former Super Bowl MVP (that wasn't carried, he was flawless that run). We all point the finger that Darnold could also be a part of the problem, but yesterday's game shows me that the offensive gameplan is that bad, it's asinine to attempt to blame the QB.

Everyone seems to think Tlaw, from all the college football hype, is the savior. To me, it seems like it's the same shit different day. I'm praying that if we land the #1 pick, we package Tlaw for a Herschel Walker type haul, and load up talent around Darnold, who I still feel will prove he's a future top 5 QB once he's in a better system than this garbage we see each week.

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

russel wilson, Dak Prescott, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Mahomes, Watson, Josh Allen, on and on

jamarcus russell, tim couch, david carr, sam bradford, jeff george, alex smith, vick, stafford, newton, bledsoe, palmer, luck, eli, peyton, aikman, elway, mayfield, murray

success as quarterback is complicated and much, much more than simply having the top pick. I could add to the misery by listing #2 and #3 selections who didn't pan out either

the critical questions is going to be whether Sam is the real deal in a shitty situation, in which case we keep him and continue to build, or whether he's a "cow on roller skates" as i recall one pre-draft analyst calling him in which case we move on. what's clear is he and Gase aren't working well together, and given Gase's record that sucks for Gase in a he goes, or I go analysis

We need to take a collective deep breath. Joe did not max out money this year knowing this year would be weird at best plus we weren't going anyplace. Gives him all the more flexibility next year. He is stockpiling picks, and the blessing in disguise for our misery is some of those picks will be more valuable now. Personally I have liked his picks a lot (even Perrine) when you consider they're rookies playing on a shitty team. (they're typically playing better than the veterans). Biggest issue is many aren't getting on the field. I hope to see them soon (Mims, ZUniga) . I don't expect JD to hit on 100% of his picks or his FAs.

7. WoodyHarrelson

Any competent GM will find a way to maximize the Sam situation. If that means extending his 5th year, great. Start him and let Lawrence learn for a game or two and then trade Darnold. We will have weapons next year so maybe he will looks good and then move him.

otherwise, you don’t pass up franchise QBs.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

100% support building a nasty OL. Still wouldn’t pass on Lawrence. Worse comes to worse we can sit him for a year and let some journeyman take the beating. Jets will be competing for draft position in 2021 anyway.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Stares down his first read, has happy feet, not impressed by his deep ball. There’s a lot to not like about Sam Darnold. Some of it could be fixed by a good QB coach but it won’t happen here.

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

The Jets would turn TL into another bust. With no o-line, no one to throw to, no one to run the ball, he will get killed, he'll have no targets, he'll develop bad habits. We've already started to ruin Darnold who had the ability to be one of the best. Trade the pick away (TL will probably pull a Manning anyway if we have the #1 pick), get multiple other picks. Load up on actual talent and stop signing old guys who are has beens.

11. WoodyHarrelson

Trade Darnold to the Vikings now. Take back cousins and his contract and get picks. Maybe some defensive help from them.

come on Jd

12. WoodyHarrelson

Bro, we have 3 picks in the top 33 next year. We will draft an OL and. WR and we will overpay in FA too. Next QB will be fine. George Fant and Becton are great already so our tackles are set

94Abraham likes this.
  13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I have no confidence in a Johnson run organization to do it right. We're going to end up with a freaking NT and CB.

14. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

KJ is right in a lot of ways. I'll be so torn if we get that first pick. Guess it depends on how Darnold looks after Gase is gone.

There is a video with it that I can't figure out how to get on here lol.

BomberJet and Ralebird like this.
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He has to look like an All Pro to warrant picking up that $25 million 5th year option.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Utter nonsense!

94Abraham, KY Jets Fan and Attackett like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Trading the #1 pick would be the worst possible move that Douglas could make. Sam isn't the answer. He should know by now to throw the ball away, and not take sacks. He should know not to stare down WRs. He should be more fiery, more of a leader. He's not either. He's too laid back and soft mentally.

Besides, no GM would hit on all those picks. The ones that Douglas did hit on, however, would make the team good enough so that they'd wind up 7-9 or 8-8, and never be in position to draft another great FQB without trading the farm to move up.

The QB has to come first, and Sam isn't it unfortunately. He may have been if the Jets had hired the right HC and if Mac had built around him with quality players, but even if Mac had tried to build around Sam, he would have screwed it up like he did with most of his draft picks.

If Sam has any hopes of coming anywhere near his potential, he's going to have to have a change of scenery.

94Abraham and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

Doesnt mean anythin
    We went from 2-14 to 9-7 to 12-4. I dont understand how people say Parcells did nothing. We already have our Orlando Pace.

19. NCJetsfan

In your example, you're only right because Vince Young wasn't a quality QB or the right QB. Rex wouldn't have been the right HC for any QB, either.

We have our LT now, and he will probably wind up much better than Ferguson. We need to find our Mangold or at least a quality Center, but more importantly, we need to find a great QB and surround him with topnotch playmakers at the skill positions.

No, we don't need to bulk up our OL more than anything. That's 3 yards and a cloud of dust or "ground and pound." That's not what the NFL is these days. Join the 21st Century. The Jets have been lacking in great skill position players for a long time.

20. NCJetsfan

If you're praying for the bold, then you're praying that the Jets never win squat. Sam is not the answer. He is not a leader and doesn't have the football IQ to succeed. It's time to move on. He's a great kid, so I understand liking him, and wanting him to succeed, but no GM in his mind would give Sam $25 million a year now or count on him.

KY Jets Fan likes this.