Don't bet the farm that Lawrence will save the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Oct 14, 2020.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

This is the life of a Jets fan.

Ray Lucas likes this.
  2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Lawrence gets us one more win than Darnold maybe. But we suck. We would lose to the 99 browns or 09 Jaguars

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Jet fans will never be happy. I can almost hear some of the Jet fans comments if we draft TL at #1. “Jets still can’t draft for shit, TL was just there for us” and then bitch about the next pick.
    If we don’t pick TL at 1, well, it will be mutiny.
    of course if Gase is still our coach, it will be hopeless no matter who we draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Gase has set a new standard. He's WORSE than Kotite. He's effectively set a new bar.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

If we draft a QB round 1, it's a wasted pick and sets the franchise back even further.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The cap space and other draft picks can be used to build around Lawrence should we land him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You might get some major disagreement on that one.

8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I know that I am in the minority here. But if we get the 1st pick and trade it for something similar to what the Rams did years ago. Shittttt, that would be almost impossible to pass on.

I really think if we and its a big if can draft Sam a few 1st round wide outs and find a freaking pass rusher. We can fill so many holes between free agency and the draft

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

lol. You want to pass on a generational qb to support Sam Darnold? Ok bro

10. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

That's the same "logic" that had Bill Parcells trade the #1 overall (Orlando Pace) for a package that provided NOTHING to the Jets over the next 3-5 years.

You KEEP the damn picks unless you move down only a bit and get a ton of next year/next year+1 #1's and #2's.

11. JetsKickAss

Guys, I like Sam personally and I still think he will be a good QB in the NFL. But damnit, Trevor Lawrence is the guy who comes along every decade. You DON'T and CAN'T pass on him.

You'll be looked on as a laughinstock like the RedSox owner who traded Babe Ruth.

REVISion likes this.
  12. JetsKickAss

You realize the Rams did NOTHING with all those picks for the most part and keeping Sam Bradford cost the coach his job ?

13. JetsKickAss

Kotite was fired by the car salesman guy, not Lurie. Lurie bought the team a few years later.

14. JetsKickAss

I still remember The NY Post front cover (Steve Serby wrote the piece) when the Jets canned Pete Carrol for Rich Kotite......DUMB AND DUMBER ! :D:D:D

15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Yes, well, drafting Mangold and Ferguson in the first round in 2006 was genius and THAT'S what we need to be doing.

Had we drafted Vince Young instead, we never would have made the AFC championship in 2009 and 2010.

We need to bulk up our o-line more than anything. Without an o-line, no offense has been successful. Meanwhile, we hear about generational QBs all the time that are no such thing. Ryan Leaf. Jamarcus Russell. Andrew Luck. RGIII. Meanwhile we've seen teams win with average QBs because they built up the rest of the team.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's only true if Lawrence is a bust. If he lives up to his billing, he'll be the best pick since Namath.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  17. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I understand that, fisher also was a horrible coach. That's why I said it's imperative for Douglas to hit on those picks

18. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree. TL is just so off th charts talented it is impossible to pass up on him. The thing that alarms me about Darnold is that he just can't read zone coverages and looks like a deer in headlights with exotic covers. So when you put the fact that a TL come along every 100 years and the fact that Darnold has not shown any progress the choice is obvious, take TL.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  19. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

We had a decent QB at the time. There were questions about his shoulder, yes, but he had a proven track record of competent play at least. Right now, all we have is a QB who has had a few flashes of competence amidst a sea of poor play. We can have a great O-line, but we also need a great QB. We can build a strong o-line much easier through FA than we can find a good QB, or hope to redeem Darnold.

It's one thing to pass on a QB who has a lot of question marks but is a 1st round prospect simply because he's what's available. It's another to pass on someone like Lawrence.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep, you are indeed in the minority..

KY Jets Fan likes this.